What's new

Dish Network 6000 Upgrade (1 Viewer)

Matthew Furtek

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Everyone,
I have an interesting story about trying to upgrade my dad to HDTV Dish Network.

This weekend I visited home and finally convinced my dad to get that Model 6000 (w/8PSK) + 8VSB (OTA) system. So, like any earnest consumers who know what they are looking for, we gathered a list of Dish Network retailers off of their webpage, and started to call them inquiring about the Model 6000.

As we started calling these places, we seemed to get the same answer. "We don't keep receivers in stock, we sell new subscription plans". In fact, none of these retailers had the Model 6000 in stock (not even Sears or Radio Shack), and most didn't even know what the 8VSB or 8PSK modules were.

So, we decided to call Dish Network, surely they would sell their own product. Apparantly Dish Network doesn't sell the Model 6000 (and modules) directly to customers, they require that customers looking to upgrade buy from a retailer. Unfortunately we already had called all of the local retailers Dish gave to us (the CSR even started to list them back to my dad over the phone).

It was hard enough that my dad was just as confused as the retailers were about what the 8PSK and 8VSB modules did, but the fact that he couldn't find the Model 6000 itself was enough for him to give up upgrading. (About 2 months ago he was looking at Sears to upgrade to an HDTV receiver, but they didn't stock the 6000 either).

Thankfully, I read this forum and from using the search engine everyone recommends buying from dishdepot.com. So, I'm pretty sure my dad will get one from there.

Dish Network seems to be dropping the ball on this. I don't see ads touting High Definition (yet I see countless for their "learn how to use the remote" channel), plus, if you are willing to pay money and upgrade, you have to search far and wide for someone who will sell you the 6000. What would I have done if I didn't read HTF?!

Anyone else run into problems trying to upgrade to a Model 6000 + 8VSB + 8PSK?

Matthew Furtek

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I had to order my 6000 from a local AV shop, same with the 8VSB module. I don't think that it is DishNetworks fault as much as it is the local retail outlets. They fail to understand that there are customers out there for the high end receivers! I would guess that the retailers in areas where OTA HDTV would probably have a few on hand.

I just got my 8VSB Mod. about 2 weeks ago and paid $149. One of the local stations is supposed to have their digital signal on the air in the near future (1-2 months) so I went ahead and got mine so I'd be ready! The retailer that I ordered it from had no idea that we were that close to finally getting just 1 digital broadcast. You would think that they would follow the progress of our locals more closely and be able to use that info in their marketing/advertisments. The staff was all ears when I told them about which stations were doing what and when! I asked if anyone there ever did any research on the subject via the internet or even by just calling the local stations and asking directly, they all just kinds stared at their feet and mumbled!

I guess this lack of inventory and general knowledge is why I am using the internet more and more for my HT purchases!

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered mine from DishUSA (just last week), they had it in stock and shipped the same day... The 6000 now includes the 8PSK module...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks