What's new

Directv HDTV receiver question (1 Viewer)

David Flora

Stunt Coordinator
Hello. My wife and I have been experiencing some problems with our Mitsubishi HDTV receiver. I have a warranty at the store where I purchased the receiver, and they told me to just bring it in and they would exchange it out, until I unhooked everything and brought it in to the store and they noticed it was a Mitsubishi. The manager told me Mitsubishi no longer makes the receivers and that it may have to be sent in to fix, or they may have to just give me a different brand of receiver. I think they said they have Samsung models.

My question is, is this a decent HDTV model? I wasn't overly thrilled with the HDTV picture from the Mitsu, and the manager said that Hughes actually makes it and they've had lots of problems with it. Would I be doing better with a Samsung or are there better models that I might try to get a hold of instead? Sorry for the long post, but any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I just want to clarify one thing. Did the retailer imply that you would be paying for the replacement box? Hopefully not.

You may want to try placing a call Mitsubishi customer service. If this is the SR-HD400 you are speaking of, many people have gotten anywhere from $300 to $500 credit at Mitsubishi authorized dealers because of the problems with these boxes. Since Mits is out of the HD STB business, you are then free to purchase whatever box you wish and you are not limited to just one brand.

Samsung models ar getting good reviews as are the new Sony and it's clone from LG (Zenith). Also after much delay, a highly anticipated Toshiba model is reportedly coming out by the end of this month.

Good Luck!

Ralph

David Flora

Stunt Coordinator
Ralph,

Thanks for the information. Yes, I actually have the SR-HD500, but I believe it's basically the same thing as the 400. Anyway, I would be receiving a free model if they decide not to fix the receiver I have now. That would be great if I could use a credit towards any model. If I were to receive a credit, what would be the best model to shoot for? You gave me a few ideas, but does one model in particular stick out to anyone?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Just a minor correction Ralph. Sony HD receivers are clones of LG, not the other way around.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Just a minor correction Ralph. Sony HD receivers are clones of LG, not the other way around.
Correct, I misspoke.

David,

I wish I could give you better advice about the new HD STBs. I have been happy with my Hughes for over two years. I think every box has it's faults, even the new boxes have problems.

My faults with the Hughes E-86 are:

(1) The box runs hot, and without cooling, heat can damage it. I cool my STB with small computer fans. I did lose two boxes before I installed the fans. 3rd box has been excellent for over two years.

(2) The box cannot output 480i and 1080i signals simultaneously. Which means that when I tape CSI for my wife, I have to watch it in 480i. I cannot watch the 1080i broadcast. My solution was buy another VCR for the bedroom TV.

Other than this, the box does a great job pulling in my OTA HD and once I handled the cooling issue, it has been very reliable. It is also one of the cheapest ATSC/DirecTV boxes right now at around $479. If my box cooked tomorrow and I needed a new box, I think I'd wait a few weeks for the Toshiba, but that's just me. Check out this HDTV Hardware thread. It will help you make a more educated decision.

I still recommend calling Mits support to see if you can get the credit.

Good luck!

Ralph

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

Not any more. It was either a mistake or a one day deal. Check this out. Already up to $549.

Best Buy's website has the E-86 listed for $399 but it sayd "SOLD OUT".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks