What's new

Attempting to use an ancient Sony SA-CD player in an era where it aged like milk. (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So I bought one of these at the thrift store...

20230716_171915.jpg

Its a Sony SCD-CE595 which was apparently their "entry level" model in the early-2000s back when the company was seriously pushing the format (which of course laid a goose egg anyway). Now the reason I was interested in it, despite only owning two actual SACD's, is that I want to have a reason to not have to hang on to my UBP-X700 if I were ever to have the opportunity to upgrade to...say...that Panasonic everybody here likes. So naturally having a dedicated SACD player would help greatly in easing out the door.

This brings me to two problems...

A. I don't even know if the laser can still read SACD (it reads standard redbook).

And the biggie...

B. Because Sony was a bunch of CP zealots whose assbackwards decisions in the early 2000s were actually dooming their products, I have no actual way to hook this up to my modern day post HDMI 2.0 receiver and get the full 5.1. Why? Because its exclusively over RCA analog. Oh there's a optical output but it only decodes the standard cd redbook layers.

So my question is this...

Is there a way to convert the five individual RCA outputs for each channel into one orange digital coax? That seems like the only way because Sony made TOSEC useless on this device.

Opinions please, I have 10 days to take it back.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I guess I don't understand why your bought this very old player, when you already have the X700 which you know works. You're already planning on having two players, and while you could get something for the X700, I'm not sure you would get much for it. Why not keep it if/when you get a Panasonic?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
That Sony was my first SACD player. Fortunately, my Yamaha receiver has the 5.1 analog inputs. Unfortunately, my player died recently and ended up in the trash.

I'd had problems with the player through the years. At one point it no longer would read SACDs, only redbook. I found a post on a forum (AVS?) in which someone gave instructions to reset it and the SACD playback returned. A few months ago I was playing a redbook CD and the player simply stopped playing, like the power was off. I had to take the top off the player to retrieve my CD. Even if it had not died, I knew its days as a SACD player were numbered. When I eventually upgrade to a 4K TV (if my current 1080 TV ever dies), I will need a new receiver and I am not going to look for one with 5.1 analog inputs. I searched for an analog 5.1 to HDMI adapter and never found one. Besides, I play multi-channel SACDs on my two Blu-ray players over HDMI.

I would have kept the player as a redbook CD player if it had not died. I liked having a 5-disc carrousel in case I want to play a multidisc CD like an opera or a Mahler symphony or the Brandenburg Concertos. If that feature appeals to you, the player still has value IMO if you hook it up via its digital optical cable. If I could get one cheap at a thrift store, I would buy it for that purpose.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
B. Because Sony was a bunch of CP zealots whose assbackwards decisions in the early 2000s were actually dooming their products, I have no actual way to hook this up to my modern day post HDMI 2.0 receiver and get the full 5.1. Why? Because its exclusively over RCA analog. Oh there's a optical output but it only decodes the standard cd redbook layers.
HDMI wasn't around when Sony introduced SACD - - same issue with DVD-Audio. Multichannel analog input was the only option for both. I had both a Sony SACD player and Toshiba DVD-A player, and had to use a couple of external analog switch boxes in order to connect both players to the 5.1 channel analog input on the AVR I owned then.

I agree with @JohnRice . If you plan on keeping a player in your system for SACD support, why not just keep your current X700? I have three disc players in my equipment rack - - the Panasonic UB820 you are considering, a Sony X800, and an OPPO DVD player. The latter two support both SACD and DVD-Audio. I own discs in both those formats.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm still confused about what it the condition of each player. You need to indentify the players you're referring to, such as which player isn't working properly.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm still confused about what it the condition of each player. You need to indentify the players you're referring to, such as which player isn't working properly.
Wrong thread?

I haven't really had a chance to try the SACD beyond making sure it powers up, ejects, and reads standard redbooks as that's all I have on hand at the moment (not at home)

X700 works fine aside from the usual complaints that Dolby Vision has to be turned on manually and the seamingly seasonal player freeze issue where you have to leave it unplugged for 30 minutes.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wrong thread?

I haven't really had a chance to try the SACD beyond making sure it powers up, ejects, and reads standard redbooks as that's all I have on hand at the moment (not at home)

X700 works fine aside from the usual complaints that Dolby Vision has to be turned on manually and the seamingly seasonal player freeze issue where you have to leave it unplugged for 30 minutes.
No. I saw David’s response and thought it was the OP. So I was confused.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well at the very least it does visually compliment my VSX-D412 in the den (and yes it actually WILL work with that, my room just isn't set up for anything other than stereo).

20230718_154219.jpg

On another note I have learned it will not respond to my Logitech Harmony at all. Which is a real shame because the remote alone costs more than what I paid for the player itself.

EDIT: Fixed the remote problem, apparently the player was set for "CD2" whereas the Harmony was "CD1". More vintage Sony stupidity.

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
My old rig was a Philips DVD/SACD player through an Outlaw ICBM to a Yamaha receiver. All over individual coax cables. If any component failed I'd be out of luck replacing it today. So a year ago I went with the Sony X700 and an Onkyo receiver that can decode DSD audio over HDMI. Works for me.

A hint on the X700: get some taller adhesive feet to raise up the X700. This allows for better air circulation and avoids what may be heat-induced skipping/freezing.

midvalleyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I still have my two SACD players - Sony DVP-NS700V and Pioneer DV-S733A (gold). Both work fine. As I now have a new Yamaha receiver with HDMI they are no longer needed. Unfortunately no-one is interested having either for free, and I've had no success in selling them, so they'll be going in the trash :huh:.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I still have my two SACD players - Sony DVP-NS700V and Pioneer DV-S733A (gold). Both work fine. As I now have a new Yamaha receiver with HDMI they are no longer needed. Unfortunately no-one is interested having either for free, and I've had no success in selling them, so they'll be going in the trash :huh:.
Hey I thrifted mine (and that Pioneer too). Better than the trash.

midvalleyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I live in a rural area with very few Thrift stores (called op shops here). None wanted these vintage players. My next step is to try my local Facebook Marketplace, and then the website StereoNet (of which I'm a member). Someone somewhere must be interested in them :unsure:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
You can always donate it to Goodwill or Salvation Army or, at the very least, take it to a Best Buy and they will recycle it for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks