What's new

HDMI cables (1 Viewer)

mitymike

Auditioning
Real Name
michael
HI, my name is mike. I just bought my first HDTV. I also bought a new receiver and new DVD player, all with the HDMI connection. My question is how many HDMI cables do I need. I also have a Directv box.:confused:

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

That is going to depend on the connection options your particular components offer, and how you want to arrange things. Before anyone can offer advice you'll need to post the make and model of each of your components, including the DirecTV receiver.

Welcome to the forum,

Joe

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm confused also because I don't know what model DirecTV box you have. If it is high def and newer, then it probably has HDMI connections as well. If so, you would need a 3rd HDMI cable. If it is standard def or an older HD receiver then you would need different cables depending on how you wanted to connect everything.

Buy your HDMI cables from Monoprice.com.

-Robert

mitymike

Auditioning
Real Name
michael

I will be getting a new HD Directv box, I have an appointment with Direvtv to come out to house and install a new dish and box Nov. 12th.

Devilish21ca

Agent
Real Name
David Sheedy
Mike,

Here's the if/then equation:

IF all your components have HDMI outputs, and your reciever had HDMI inputs, then you need three: One each for the DVD player and Direct TV box to go IN to the reciever, and one to go OUT from the reciever to the TV.

IF your reciever does not have HDMI inputs, then you just need the two for the DVD player and the Direct TV box, to go directly to the TV. BUT you will then need audio cables (optical, preferably) to go from the DVD and Direct TV to the receiver, in order to have surround sound.

David Sheedy

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To make things more complicated, if the A/V receiver on does HDMI passthrough, then he will need digital audio cables between the source units and the receiver. This is one reason we ask for model numbers so there is no "if".

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babarrun
Recent bookmarks