What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Question about Denon AVR settings... (1 Viewer)

reggie5741

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Sawyer
Hello everyone!
I have a quick question about upscaling that may or may not be answered, but I’ll try to give as much information as possible. I currently purchased a Denon AVR-1909 and am connecting 2 components via HDMI to it to go out to my 720p Plasma HDTV. Here is the setup for your information:

Samsung PN42A450 (native 720p resolution)
Oppo DV-981HD DVD Player
DIRECTV HR-21 (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i picture output) Receiver

So, my question is (well, maybe a couple with some sub-questions):
How would one recommend setting this up with regard to upscaling capabilities (that is, in your opinion for most cases, even if you don’t have first-hand experience with the HDTV and components) for optimum picture quality? Would you turn the Denon scaler OFF or enable it? If so, which resolution is most appropriate for a native 720p display (i.e.: is 1080i better than 720p?; I assume for a 42" set that 720p is the way to go)?
If I let the DIRECTV HD-DVR do the upscaling, what resolution should I send to the HDTV (or let the display do the scaling)?

Ultimately, I guess I’m trying to figure out whether to let the Denon scale, the TV or the Satellite Receiver (which does the best job); and which resolution theoretically looks best on a 720p display once I figure that out. It’s been rather difficult to find an answer when talking about a 720p display, since so many people purchase 1080p currently.

Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

macc24

Auditioning
Real Name
estaban
I would turn the scaler off...the TV will most likely try to rescale the image that the Denon is passing through - especially if it's scaling at 1080i. The fewer "filters" you can go through the better the picture is generally. Now, if you can turn you TV scaler off then you will have the choice as to which processor (TV or AV) provides the best picture.

reggie5741

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Sawyer
Hello macc24...thanks so much for your reply.
I don't believe you can turn the Samsung's internal scaler off at all. I think it will just scale whatever setting to its native resolution. Part of what I'm grappling with is whether to set it to 1080i or 720p (though I think 720p makes the most sense, since it's the closest to the TV's native resolution and won't have to be deinterlaced?); or for that matter, 480p and let the TV or Denon upscale it. I'm uncertain what's going to be my best option here...couple that with trying to figure out which scaler (TV or Denon) is better. Here's what my original thought was:
Set DirecTV HD Receiver to "native"—>Denon AVR-1909 to output 720p—>let the Samsung do the scaling at 720p.
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
I don't know anything about your Samsung to comment as to whether its scaler is better or worse than that used in the Denon 1909; however, FWIW I have a Denon 3808, Panny 50" PX50U plasma (native res 768p), a DirecTV HR20-100, and Panny BD30 Blu-ray and Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD players; I disabled the Denon's scaler (which is what I believe macc24 was suggesting--i.e., I don't believe he was suggesting that you disable the scaler in your Samsung), set output resolution on all output devices to 1080i, and let my plasma deal with it. I tried setting output to 720p to see how PQ looked at that resolution but in the end, 1080i looked a bit better to my eyes.

reggie5741

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Sawyer
TonyTone...you are indeed extremely helpful; this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. Upon further reading, albeit post-macc24's response, what you and he said made sense about turning the scaler off (and you confirmed it). I think this is what I'll do as well, following per your example. The only thing I might try differently is going into the DirecTv HR-21 receiver and set the native to "ON", checking the appropriate resolutions, so the Samsung does the scaling (I believe). Then I'll try the 1080i for each and see which is "better". I personally have tried both the 720p and 1080i settings, and too think the 1080i seems marginally better in terms of sharpness (I don't, however, notice any motion-blur when watching baseball or whatever event).
Again, I really appreciate your response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gomerpile1
Recent bookmarks