What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (4 Viewers)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Anyone knows if it's presented in separate seasons (for easier access) or just in 1 big collection of episodes (like some/many of iTunes' complete series sets) that can make it a pain to skip around (or if the AppleTV/iTunes app loses your place for whatever reason)?

And are there any extra features at all?

Hmmm... looks like Vudu matched that sale price (or maybe vice versa). I may just get it from Vudu instead as they definitely have them broken out into separate seasons (and have rarely used, but oft available, discounted GCs for them) -- and most of my TV series digitals have been on Vudu...

_Man_
It's also available on Vudu now at that same price, and they do break the series down by season. You can also watch on a web browser.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I do not watch iTunes content on my PC, but via the Roku and ATV4K it does keep track of where you left off, and if using the "ATV" app on the Apple TV 4K box (or through the Roku) the "Watch Next" category always pops up the next episode in sequence. Since I prefer watching the shows in order, this works perfectly for me.

TV shows from a complete series on Vudu are clunkier to watch, IMO, as there is no "watch next" category.

On the ATV4K, if using the ATV app, doesn't it still do "Watch Next" or similar for Vudu (as it does for other apps like Disney+, Paramount+, etc although those aren't sell-through/rental storefronts)? Seems like it would, but I'm not completely sure.

The Vudu app used to at least remember your last spot and then continue from there IIRC, but not sure what it does now after they made the last major update -- haven't really used it since then.

Ok, I just checked the Vudu app on PC, and it basically does what I expected... though maybe slightly clunkier than before more recent changes -- it requires an extra step to pick up from where I left off an episode (but definitely remembers)... and the "Continue Watching" section/list probably forgets my place after a long while (from what I gather/recall in the past), which is alright w/ me since I probably wouldn't care if I'm revisiting a few weeks or (much) more later (though it apparently still holds all the spots to resume once I navigate to whichever season/episode). Hmmm... "Continue Watching" also seems to remember one point for each season, if you jump between seasons.

Given how similar the ATV version of the Vudu app has become like the PC version, I imagine that works the same as well -- guess I'll doublecheck in a bit before buying... and I've got more than enough discounted GCs waiting to be used precisely for something like this.

I don't ever use a Roku myself anymore, but the family (and my Mom) does though...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
On the ATV4K, if using the ATV app, doesn't it still do "Watch Next" or similar for Vudu (as it does for other apps like Disney+, Paramount+, etc although those aren't sell-through/rental storefronts)? Seems like it would, but I'm not completely sure.

The Vudu app used to at least remember your last spot and then continue from there IIRC, but not sure what it does now after they made the last major update -- haven't really used it since then.

Ok, I just checked the Vudu app on PC, and it basically does what I expected... though maybe slightly clunkier than before more recent changes -- it requires an extra step to pick up from where I left off an episode (but definitely remembers)... and the "Continue Watching" section/list probably forgets my place after a long while (from what I gather/recall in the past), which is alright w/ me since I probably wouldn't care if I'm revisiting a few weeks or (much) more later (though it apparently still holds all the spots to resume once I navigate to whichever season/episode). Hmmm... "Continue Watching" also seems to remember one point for each season, if you jump between seasons.

Given how similar the ATV version of the Vudu app has become like the PC version, I imagine that works the same as well -- guess I'll doublecheck in a bit before buying... and I've got more than enough discounted GCs waiting to be used precisely for something like this.

I don't ever use a Roku myself anymore, but the family (and my Mom) does though...

_Man_
I haven't watched a TV series on Vudu in awhile, so the interface may have changed with app updates. I think we will be starting up 30 Rock soon, though, which I purchased quite awhile ago on Vudu but never got around to watching, so I'll see things are better.

I do switch back and forth between ATV4K and Roku devices quite a bit -- have just one Apple box (in the main home theater) and Rokus everywhere else.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
In my experience, if you watch a an iTunes series via an Apple TV device, it will separate the seasons as Robert says.
I think you’ve got that backwards. Complete sets from Vudu will be broken up by season. Complete sets (purchased) from iTunes are one gigantic collection that requires massive scrolling through regardless what device you watch it on.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Quite a few movies on sale for $4.99 on iTunes today. I picked up the 4K of The Day the Earth Stood Still and The Running Man (had each just on DVD), plus the HD of Dracula's Daughter (hoping for an eventual 4K upgrade).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not sure when the (much needed) upgrade happened, but The Truman Show is apparently now in 4K... and $5. I just sprung for it.

Also picked up Orson Welle's The Stranger -- think it's the 1st time at $5... and looks like it might be the transfer used for the Olive Films release (based my very quick check vs the screencaps I see... as I don't have the BD... plus the circa 2017 release date on iTunes according to CheapCharts).

Likewise, Stan & Ollie (2019) seems to be $5 for the 1st time. Same for Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre.

Ang Lee's recently released Pushing Hands (1992) is also at $5 now. Looks like the same problematic looking transfer as the recent BD (again, based on screencaps... and description over in the Blu-ray.com review), but what can yah do if interested in this -- at least this is much cheaper than the BD w/ (probably extremely) remote possibility of future upgrade/correction. It's a release from Film Movement, which seems to have a few other possibly interesting foreign film titles on sale as well.

_Man_

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think you’ve got that backwards. Complete sets from Vudu will be broken up by season. Complete sets (purchased) from iTunes are one gigantic collection that requires massive scrolling through regardless what device you watch it on.
I knew Vudu broke them up, but I did mis-remember iTunes on the Apple TV. I fired up the Apple TV last night and took a look at Alias. Because I bought it as a series, it was indeed all stuck in one collection. I think that if I had ordered it as seasons I could have kept them separate (but would have paid a lot more). I thought it was only that way on the Apple TV app, but it is indeed that way on the Apple TV streaming box as well. I definitely prefer the way Vudu does it.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Does the theatrical version of Knight And Day exist in digital on iTunes?

I Purchased it last year and it was not the extended listing but it only pays the extended version.

There is 2 listings on iTunes…

Attachments

• 5835778E-B91A-4139-ADBC-6A76D4043E19.png
    5835778E-B91A-4139-ADBC-6A76D4043E19.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 29

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Does the theatrical version of Knight And Day exist in digital on iTunes?

I Purchased it last year and it was not the extended listing but it only pays the extended version.

There is 2 listings on iTunes…
Another example of them screwing us! We lost the ability to play the theatrical cut with that previous purchase in which the extended version was the bonus material.

Now, the theatrical version only exists as bonus material for that new "Extended" Version now on sale for $4.99.

What I would do is request a refund from your last year purchase because it was the theatrical cut you purchased. Then I would buy this current "Extended" Version currently on sale for $4.99.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Another example of them screwing us! We lost the ability to play the theatrical cut with that previous purchase in which the extended version was the bonus material.

Now, the theatrical version only exists as bonus material for that new "Extended" Version now on sale for $4.99.

What I would do is request a refund from your last year purchase because it was the theatrical cut you purchased. Then I would buy this current "Extended" Version currently on sale for $4.99.
Thank you!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Maybe I don’t understand the question and response.
I see the theatrical version on iTunes for $5 no extras.

63E0598D-B125-4579-99CE-40F52794E2FD.jpg

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
In other news.

Eyes Wide Shut
Is the version up on iTunes the uncensored version or the version that has the shadow people added in to cover up some of the scenes?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Maybe I don’t understand the question and response.
I see the theatrical version on iTunes for $5 no extras.

View attachment 150596
Check the runtime? The theatrical cut is 109 minutes. The extended cut is 117 minutes long. When I bought Knight and Day previously, it was the 109 minute version with the 117 minute version as part of the bonus material. Now, that same digital only has the 117 minute version available to watch without any bonus material.

The new iTunes digital on sale for $4.99 is advertised as the Extended Cut at 117 minutes with the 109 theatrical cut as part of its bonus material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks