What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So “The Long Gray Line” is one of those Sony titles that absolutely never goes on sale at iTunes but does occasionally on Vudu and Amazon. As I really, really wanted this title, I caved and bought it at Vudu for $7.99 (potentially screwing myself out of a 4K upgrade) but here‘s another Movies Anywhere title where one platform has a clearly superior version. ITunes, Vudu, and Amazon all have dirt specks. MA version is cleaned up and pristine (probably the same transfer as the UK Blu-ray)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
First time in forever I was able to find three.

The Nice Guys
Kane
Outsiders Novel

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Thanks for that! I was able to upgrade some previous HD only purchases. I was really tempted by "Singin' in the Rain" and "The Road Warrior" but I'll hold off for the discs since they have the original mixes as an option. Instead I upgraded "The Nice Guys," "The Goonies" and "The Shawshank Redemption."

Last edited:

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Any recommendations on 4K quality for either the original Predator ($4.99) or Goodfellas ($6.99)?

Both have iTunes extras and tempted on both. Yet still have an unwrapped Goodfellas Blu-ray. How stupid am I?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Any recommendations on 4K quality for either the original Predator ($4.99) or Goodfellas ($6.99)?

Both have iTunes extras and tempted on both. Yet still have an unwrapped Goodfellas Blu-ray. How stupid am I?

Just did a quick sampling to verify on iTunes (as I previously only watched the 4K disc), and it at least looks like it probably came from the new transfer/master used for the 4K disc (instead of the extremely excessively DNRed job for all the old BDs), so you should be good w/ it, especially if your only viable alternative is an old BD (instead of 4K disc) -- I also checked the HD version (on my PC) and that looks similarly good as well.

No idea about the Goodfellas 4K digital though. I seem to vaguely recall the PQ of Goodfellas in 4K was (at least somewhat) controversial. A quick check of BR.com's 2 reviews (along w/ their very mixed user reviews section) shows a (somewhat?) scathing review from a former, longtime HTF regular, Michael Reuben (whatever happened to him?), plus a much more moderated, (somewhat) favorable follow-up one addressing the issues... and doublechecking RAH's review thread also somewhat confirms the PQ problem/issues although RAH initially gave it a very favorable review (before walking back some bit about its use of HDR that might be considered revisionist, if potentially pleasing to many/most viewers). But seems if you want it faithful to the original filmmakers' intentions, then you probably want to stick w/ the old BD... or maybe upgrade to the most recent BD for a compromise between them instead. OR maybe you might want to have both plus the 4K to cover all bases, if you're a big enough fan of this film.

I had previously passed on the Goodfellas 4K disc due to the controversy (and haven't upgraded my HD digital so far) since I already had the most recent BD (apparently from same transfer, but w/out the subsequent HDR tweaks)...

_Man_

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Thank you for the detailed comments! I love the community on here. I'm getting Predators 4k digital right now, based on this info. Will hold off on the other for now.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Well I just bought U.S. Marshals for $5. It's a movie that I think is far better than it should be.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

Predator looks very good, though obviously not as good as the UHD disc - it's a grainy film and the lower iTunes bitrate struggles a bit at times. There's something off about the HDR grade on Goodfellas - it looks much better with HDR switched off.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Frank Capra 5 film bundle now $19.99 on iTunes

It Happened One Night
Mr. Deeds Goes To Town
Lost Horizon
You Can't Take It With You
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

Alec Guiness Film Bundle now $19.99
Lawrence of Arabia
Bridge On The River Kwai
Murder By Death
Our Man in Havana
A Passage to India

There are several other 5 film bundles from Sony/Columbia for $19.99

Sidney Poiter

Much Watch 5 film bundles for $19.99
Award Winners

Thrillers

Indies

Movies of Our Time

Drama

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks