What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (2 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Amazon currently only has it in HD (although that may change soon as many of my Universal 4K MA-eligible movies have been slowly upgraded to 4K), but iTunes (aka Apple TV) has it in 4K for $4.99.

This is the Joss Whedon Serenity, not to be confused with the Matthew McConaughey garbage Serenity (both released by Universal).

At first, I too thought the 4K was not on Amazon, but found it listed separately from their regular HD/SD listing, which seems Amazon's typical approach for 4K. Also, just (logged off my account because I already bought it on sale via iTunes, and) rechecked their 4K listing, and it's not at a competitive sale price.

_Man_

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
At first, I too thought the 4K was not on Amazon, but found it listed separately from their regular HD/SD listing, which seems Amazon's typical approach for 4K.
It looks like Amazon is finally starting to move away from that practice, as I have seen many titles now list SD, HD, and UHD formats when clicking on the More Purchase Options box. Serenity though is not one of them yet.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I’m able to cross three more over-priced Blu-rays off my wishlist as I just picked them up digitally for $5 a pop.
Blow-up
Liberal Arts
French Postcards

Blow-up
is of course not the superior Criterion master but I can live with that.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just noticed The Big Bang Theory complete series is on sale at $50 for the first time (on both iTunes and Vudu).

Given it's 12 seasons, don't suppose it'll likely ever drop below $50 -- possible, but probably not too likely.

Anyone know whether iTunes or Vudu is better/preferable for this series? I suppose it could possibly come down to navigation. I haven't tried watching any series on iTunes (via Roku's AppleTV app) so far, and Vudu seems to work fairly well for binging a series.

I’m able to cross three more over-priced Blu-rays off my wishlist as I just picked them up digitally for $5 a pop.
Blow-up
Liberal Arts
French Postcards

Blow-up
is of course not the superior Criterion master but I can live with that.

Was very tempted w/ Blow-up, but think I'll go w/ the Criterion disc (w/ tons of solid extra features on top of the 4K sourced (re)master) instead... maybe during the B&N sale.

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Just noticed The Big Bang Theory complete series is on sale at $50 for the first time (on both iTunes and Vudu).

Given it's 12 seasons, don't suppose it'll likely ever drop below $50 -- possible, but probably not too likely.

Anyone know whether iTunes or Vudu is better/preferable for this series? I suppose it could possibly come down to navigation. I haven't tried watching any series on iTunes (via Roku's AppleTV app) so far, and Vudu seems to work fairly well for binging a series.

Was very tempted w/ Blow-up, but think I'll go w/ the Criterion disc (w/ tons of solid extra features on top of the 4K sourced (re)master) instead... maybe during the B&N sale.

_Man_

I have TV series purchased both on iTunes and Vudu. From a navigation viewpoint, both services are fine -- even when using the Apple app on a Roku device (we do this quite a bit). Right now with the recent Fandango purchase of Vudu, I am leery of spending too much money with them until I see how things go with the service -- hopefully they will improve the dreadful customer service from the Vudu days. For Movies Anywhere titles, it's not as big of a concern. But TV shows are not part of that system.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I have TV series purchased both on iTunes and Vudu. From a navigation viewpoint, both services are fine -- even when using the Apple app on a Roku device (we do this quite a bit). Right now with the recent Fandango purchase of Vudu, I am leery of spending too much money with them until I see how things go with the service -- hopefully they will improve the dreadful customer service from the Vudu days. For Movies Anywhere titles, it's not as big of a concern. But TV shows are not part of that system.

Thanks. I guess the PQ/AQ are also the same between them? And there's no indication at all that free 4K upgrades would ever happen for TV content on iTunes (not that most such modern TV content would benefit at all from 4K).

I did check a couple series on the Roku AppleTV app and noticed it doesn't automatically roll playback into the next episode (unless I'm missing the setting somewhere). Does ATV4K (optionally) do automatic continuous playback for TV series?

For many series, especially sitcoms, I think a continuous, random shuffle playback function/option could be nice (sometimes) as well, but that could just be me...

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks. I guess the PQ/AQ are also the same between them? And there's no indication at all that free 4K upgrades would ever happen for TV content on iTunes (not that most such modern TV content would benefit at all from 4K).

I did check a couple series on the Roku AppleTV app and noticed it doesn't automatically roll playback into the next episode (unless I'm missing the setting somewhere). Does ATV4K (optionally) do automatic continuous playback for TV series?

For many series, especially sitcoms, I think a continuous, random shuffle playback function/option could be nice (sometimes) as well, but that could just be me...

_Man_
With the Apple app on Roku, it does pop up a "watch next episode" box during the credits, although I always exit at that point. It doesn't do that with the Apple TV 4K device -- but I think I changed a setting to stop that behavior. I have not delved into the app on the Roku to see if there is an option to turn it off.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's selectable in some of the Apple apps. I can't recall if the TV Shows app is one of them. I know mine does not continue automatically.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I always opt for Apple, simply because I don't see them going away in the foreseeable future.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Question I have A digital code for the Daniel Craig James Bond above seven films in 4K. Whenever I try to enter it into iTunes I get an invalid code. I did contact iTunes but I was wondering if anybody else but I thought on why I was unable to redeem this through the service. Thanks

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Question I have A digital code for the Daniel Craig James Bond above seven films in 4K. Whenever I try to enter it into iTunes I get an invalid code. I did contact iTunes but I was wondering if anybody else but I thought on why I was unable to redeem this through the service. Thanks
How did you get the code?
And does it specifically say it works with iTunes?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
How did you get the code?
And does it specifically say it works with iTunes?

it’s from the 4k James Bond Craig set. It’s the paper insert with code.

it states redemption on fox redeem but the only option on this site is vudu.

I am trying to enter the code on iTunes directly for redemption.

Apple service sent me a canned response to contact fox.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The 4k set was just reissued by wb with the mgm contract change for home video.

would the code in the new set work with iTunes I wonder.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
There‘s your answer right there. Vudu only.

Warner is only taking over disc distribution. Digital codes will still be controlled by MGM.

ok.

so buying from iTunes directly is the only way to go for getting the films digitally on iTunes.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks