General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My dvd looks great. I don’t see the need to get the Blu-ray.
*cough*
I still hear that to this day. Astounding.
I remember trying to save a customer a few bucks by grabbing the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack for a film he requested on DVD, which was $5 cheaper than the DVD. He just about yelled at me, saying he didn't want Blu-ray, he didn't have Blu-ray, and only wanted the DVD, even if it was going to save him $5. I tried to convince him that the DVD inside was the same disc that was in the DVD-only version, but he didn't want to "give money to the conspiracy of Blu-ray - the sharper picture is all in the mind and nothing but snake oil." I handed him the DVD version and walked away.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would. There hasn’t been an instance where I’ve upgraded to 4K from bluray and have not noticed a significant improvement. Not. Once. ;)
Not talking about in general, but specific to that trilogy, especially the first movie, which had controversially mediocre results for the first BD release of the theatrical version.

There are real limits based on the 2K DI source material w/ its heavy SFX/CG/color-grading afterall.

Of course, I suppose it's really just a small bet, so no big deal if they don't look significantly better.

_Man_

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Not talking about in general, but specific to that trilogy, especially the first movie, which had controversially mediocre results for the first BD release of the theatrical version.
And my comments apply to that specific trilogy as well. I’m sure the 4K discs will look significantly better than their Blu ray counterparts.

• Agreed
Reactions: Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
And my comments apply to that specific trilogy as well. I’m sure the 4K discs will look significantly better than their Blu ray counterparts.
It was a year ago this month that I watched the trilogy extended cuts again at my local movie theater. I think they're going to look much better than the previously released Blu-rays.

• Agreed
Reactions: Tino and dpippel

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kirb-dog