What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You people! I thought I was done buying for this cycle, but you’ve talked me into picking up Lady in a Cage and Knock on Wood.
I forgot Olive released "Knock on Wood" on Blu-ray back in 2013, so that iTunes digital is probably derived from that master used in that BD release. It's not Criterion or Twilight Time quality.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I bought War of the Worlds, Hunt for Red October, and Beverly Hills Cop 3 a few days ago as part of Vudu's 4k 3 for $14.99 deal.

Quick question. Every press release I read for the BHC trilogy stated all three films in digital 4k UHD with HDR. But Cop III on Vudu is 4k, but no HDR.

The added resolution is noticeable in close ups and facial detail. But dark scenes lack shadow detail and are a little muddy. And that cherry red sportscar in the opening scene should really pop, but doesnt.

Im just wondering if Vudu got a non HDR transfer from Paramount. Can anyone who has purchased this from another service verify wether or not it has HDR?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Quick question. Every press release I read for the BHC trilogy stated all three films in digital 4k UHD with HDR. But Cop III on Vudu is 4k, but no HDR.

The added resolution is noticeable in close ups and facial detail. But dark scenes lack shadow detail and are a little muddy. And that cherry red sportscar in the opening scene should really pop, but doesnt.

Im just wondering if Vudu got a non HDR transfer from Paramount. Can anyone who has purchased this from another service verify wether or not it has HDR?
All three Beverly Hills Cop movies are in 4K/Dolby Vision on iTunes.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Thanks for the quick response. I figured out the issue.

I was watching with the Vudu app on my Xbox one S, which doesnt support Dolby Vision on my 2016 LG. I tried it using the app on the TV and it plays in Dolby Vision and looks much better.

Ive watched plenty of other Dolby Vision streams on the Xbox and it usually defaults to HDR10.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
TO CATCH A THIEF

I passed up buying the new Blu-ray release.

I am assuming the same transfer is being used on the digital copy?

I see that it has gone as low as $6.99 on iTunes.

I take it that it's worth a blind purchase?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
TO CATCH A THIEF

Rule of thumb is to never assume the streaming version uses the same transfer, regardless of who the streaming provider is. If the disc includes a digital copy, wait for others to chime in after they've redeemed their code. I'm still waiting for Vudu, Apple TV (iTunes is no more), FandangoNow, Amazon Prime, Google Play, and even Movies Anywhere to update the transfer on Innerspace. All services use the old HD transfer created for the original DVD release and only stereo audio, despite the fact that the Blu-ray release used a newer 4K transfer supervised by director Joe Dante. A 5.1 mix was created for the original DVD release.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
TO CATCH A THIEF

It's Hitchcock, and stars Grace Kelly. Do you need any more reason? ;)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
TO CATCH A THIEF
Unlike the other 2 Paramount Presents releases which got bumped to 4K on iTunes a while back, To Catch a Thief, as yet has not. I’ve got the iTunes version and as far as I can tell it’s the same as it’s always been, however it was such a good transfer to begin with I’m not sure I could tell the difference if it got updated to the new one...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Rule of thumb is to never assume the streaming version uses the same transfer, regardless of who the streaming provider is. If the disc includes a digital copy, wait for others to chime in after they've redeemed their code. I'm still waiting for Vudu, Apple TV (iTunes is no more), FandangoNow, Amazon Prime, Google Play, and even Movies Anywhere to update the transfer on Innerspace. All services use the old HD transfer created for the original DVD release and only stereo audio, despite the fact that the Blu-ray release used a newer 4K transfer supervised by director Joe Dante. A 5.1 mix was created for the original DVD release.
iTunes no more except when viewing on my AppleTV the interface still shows iTunes Movies and iTunes TV Shows icons to click on.:) I don’t click on the Apple TV icon like some of you guys do.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unlike the other 2 Paramount Presents releases which got bumped to 4K on iTunes a while back, To Catch a Thief, as yet has not. I’ve got the iTunes version and as far as I can tell it’s the same as it’s always been, however it was such a good transfer to begin with I’m not sure I could tell the difference if it got updated to the new one...
Same here!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
TO CATCH A THIEF

its fantastic. I cancelled my preorder in hopes of a 4k or digital release too.

I have the older blu ray and it’s a great film.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Picked up Little Women in 4K on iTunes for $9.99 since I'd missed the Movies Anywhere preorder deal.

Also picked up the musical remake of Hairspray in HD on iTunes for $4.99, because that was one I only had on DVD.

Also picked up the Nancy Drew bundle for $9.98 with both the Emma Roberts movie and the Sophia Lillis movie. Interested to see how they compare to my childhood memories of the character. The CW show looks nothing like what I remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ybmsmoke107
Recent bookmarks