What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Hollywood Reporter article on the sale:

"The Star Wars movies will be on the higher side, or $9.99, to purchase. They will be be on sale beginning April 28 and ending May 4, timed to the fanboy holiday Star Wars Day."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Friday’s here and it looks pretty bleak as well. Only thing for me was The Enforcer (Bogart version) which is another over-priced Olive Blu-ray I can scratch off my list.

Nothing there really excites me. There is THE SHOOTIST, John Wayne's last film, but I don't know how good it is.

Some double features, but $19.99 seems high

Some classic titles if anyone wants to recommend.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The Shootist is pretty good. A simple story, well told. It’s a bit self-aware; it’s the last hurrah for Wayne’s character in the story and he knew it would be his last film in real life as well. It’s a nice epilogue to his career. Plus, Jimmy Stewart is great in a supporting role.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I agree with Robert and Josh - - The Shootist is a very good movie, with touching performances by some great actors in the twilight of their careers. I converted my DVD to digital a few years ago when Vudu's pricing on their disc to digital program offered a big discount for converting 10 titles at a time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree with Robert and Josh - - The Shootist is a very good movie, with touching performances by some great actors in the twilight of their careers. I converted my DVD to digital a few years ago when Vudu's pricing on their disc to digital program offered a big discount for converting 10 titles at a time.
It was during the making of this movie and his interactions with John Wayne that convinced a young Ron Howard to try directing. He always talks fondly of Wayne and his influence on his film career.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron,

Just remember that Wayne knew he was sick and probably dying when he filmed this movie with the great Don Siegel as director. A really good cast of supporting actors. I think you'll enjoy it.

I will.

I think I have credited you for this in the past, Robert, but until I met you I never had seen a John Wayne movie and had absolutely no interest in him or westerns for that matter.

You are the guy that's responsible for not only encouraging me to build a large library of Wayne films but to buy a wealth of westerns that I have really, really enjoyed.

So, buying this John Wayne film is really no biggie for me. I'm already a huge fan.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
BTW, I was just searching Cheap Charts and see there's a Danny Kaye movie called KNOCK ON WOOD. Any good?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
BTW, I was just searching Cheap Charts and see there's a Danny Kaye movie called KNOCK ON WOOD. Any good?
I purchased it, but I've never seen it as I previously read good things about it. I need to check to make sure the OAR is correct as I purchased it sleepy eye with my iPhone.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I purchased it, but I've never seen it as I previously read good things about it. I need to check to make sure the OAR is correct as I purchased it sleepy eye with my iPhone.
The HD digital is 1.85 ratio, but this "Technicolor" movie might be derived from an older master. For $5, I doubt we'll get something better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For $5 I may take a chance. I'm a big Danny Kaye fan. We'll see...
After viewing the first 10 minutes of this movie, I think I did see this movie before in my childhood as I remembered the dummy in his show business act. Usually, I'm not a Danny Kaye fan, but like any other actor, I can still watch his films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see the powerful movie "The Pawnbroker" is on sale too for $4.99, but I already own the Olive Blu-ray. Watching that movie isn't enjoyable, but it's an excellent movie with perhaps Rod Steiger's best acting performance. This is the movie in which he should have won his Best Acting Oscar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale