Digital Cable DVR.....WOW

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bates, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Chris Bates

Chris Bates Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, I just wanted to share some info..I just found out that Time Warner Cable now has a digital cable box that has a built in 80hr DVR. I made one call, and got it today. This thing is great, not only does it record 2 shows at once, but it adds a PIP feature. I have a twin tuner PIP big screen, but I could'nt view the extended channels. With the DVR box, I can view them all in the PIP window. Did I mention that its only $5 more per month? Now I dont miss my DSS so much. If you guys have Time Warner, or any other digital cable service, I would seriously recomend that you keep your eyes peeled, and switch out your boxes.

Just wanted to share......

2. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Chris, where are you located; ie, what Time Warner cable system? Also, do you know the model of the DVR? Is it a Scientific American? I'm wondering if it's HDTV compatible. It would be if it had the 3 component video outputs (if you don't mind checking [​IMG]

3. Chris Bates

Chris Bates Stunt Coordinator

Im in the Piedmont NC Time Warner cable system. The model number of the DVR/Digital Cable box is the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000. Its not an HDTV unit, but I don't think it will be too long before they release an HDTV DVR. I was checking the scientific atlanta site yesterday, and they do have an HDTV set top box, but it isn't a DVR. I've been really impressed with the 8000 so far, and Im sure others will be too. The only problem I have had is that the box locked up a couple times, and reset itself. I seem to think that its a software problem, or maybe the interactive guide because I had the same problem with the last Digital Cable box. It only does it when your trying to either schedule or record a program, and even then it doesn't happen often. This is what leads me to believe that its a problem between with the information downloaded through the guide. Hope I was helpful.

Chris