What's new

Added a receiver to my setup, can't get it to work...HELP! (1 Viewer)

SDRANGER619

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edgar
Hey everyone, Just wanted to start out by saying "wow" this is an awesome site. Tons of info! Well...I'm new here and I just bought a receiver to take the place of my "home theater in a box" type of set up. Connecting my system has been a nightmare and I even consider myself pretty savy when it comes to electronics....hope you all can help.

Here is the gear i'm running:

46" SONY Bravia LCD FP 1080p
Pioneer receiver model VSX-917V-K **new**
HD Cable box/DVR (through COX Cable)
PlayStation 3

I want to connect my system using all digital wiring; want to get away from analog. My main problem I'm getting is that when i connect all of my components via HDMI (and some optical) wires I don't get any audio unless I run regular (red/white) rca cables to hear audio. Any ideas as to what I can do?

Here is how I have my equipment set up now...
  • From my wall the cable goes into my HD Cable Box.
  • HD cable box has an HDMI output
  • I run the HDMI cable from the cable box to my TV
  • 1 optical wire to my receiver
  • My PS3 is connected via HDMI to my TV
  • Audio wires connected via analog RCA cables from PS3 to my receiver
  • DVD Player not connected (that's another issue I'll address later)
So IDEALLY this is how I thought I could connect everything...
  • Cable goes into my cable box
  • HDMI out from cable box into IN of receiver
  • DVD player HDMI out to the IN of my receiver
  • HDMI cable from Receiver's OUT HDMI slot to my TV
  • My PS3, I envisioned connected via HDMI to my TV
  • 1 optical wire on my TV's digital out to the IN of my receiver

Was I too ambitious in thinking this would work?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You need an audio output from the cable box to the receiver, preferabally digital (optical or coaxial). I don't see a need for the optical from the tv to the receiver. You may also have to "assign" your audio inputs in your receiver. See page 62. Hope this helps.

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Your receiver doesn't handle audio received via HDMI so every HDMI source you connect to the receiver requires a corresponding audio connection.

SDRANGER619

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edgar
Thank you all for the responses thus far. IMO this is a crummy feature..why have HDMI in/outputs and not support the audio portion?

IF you had the opportunity to return this receiver and get another, would any other brand come to mind?

I considered a Yamaha model: RX-V661BL. My max price range is $500

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'd get the Onkyo 605, personally. It can handle the audio portion of the HDMI connections. The 605 has two HDMI inputs. The 705 has three. Check at Amazon.com for good prices on these receivers. These can handle the HD audio from Blu ray movies, played on the ps3.

It's mainly for ease of switching sources.

BTW........
The optical out on tvs, is for 5.1 when you use the built-in HD tuner to receiver HD programming over the air, with an antenna.

SDRANGER619

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edgar
I understand a bit better now. wow, and here I thought I dotted all my "i"s and crossed my "t"s before purchasing this receiver.

Thank you for the tip in choosing the Onkyo 605 receiver. Unfortunately I purchased this receiver at Best Buy as a result of me returning an HD-DVD player; since it was more than 30 days I was only able to get store credit. I'll try and return this one and get a refund so I can run over to Circuit City and pick up the Oknyo model.

What do you think of the Denon AVR-1908 it's a little more expensive, but is it worth it?

SDRANGER619

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edgar
I've been thinking about this for a bit...would all the effort in repackaging the receiver, returning it, hoping I get a refund and going to purchase a new one at a different store be worth it?

I'm starting to think I'll just suck it up and deal with what I have. I figure it will take a few more wires to get my system to sound how I want.

Thoughts?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I would try for the refund, personally. If I had a high def tv, and the ps3 (Blu ray player), I would definitely want to hear the lossless HD audio soundtracks of the BD movies. That isn't possible with what you have.

SDRANGER619

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edgar
wouldn't an optical wire from the PS3 to the Receiver give me this with the Pioneer receiver?

Sorry for the multiple questions...thanks for putting up with my ignorance..:D

I just want to have all my bases covered when I try and sell this to the wife.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
No...............optical cable will only give you regular DD and DTS.
The only way to get the HD audio formats to play, is using HDMI of a receiver that processes the new formats, or using the 5.1/7.1 analog inputs of the receiver. Since the ps3 doesn't have the 5.1/7.1 analog outputs, and your receiver doesn't process the new audio formats over HDMI, it's not possible with what you have................... :)

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Yamaha RX-V661 is a good alternative. If you have the patience to be AVR-less for a few weeks (assuming you can return Pioneer), the new Yamaha RX-V663 seems like a better alternative to both the 661 and 605. JMO :D

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The Yamaha RX-V663, is nice....... It has about the same features as the 605, and in the same price range. I haven't heard much about this one yet. See it here:
RX-V663
The Yamaha or Onkyo should work good...................... :)

SDRANGER619

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edgar
I'm taking care of this today. Going for the Yamaha 663. I hope this will cure what ails my system.

edit: didn't realize the Yamaha 663 isn't sold at BB. Only the 661 is, and that one isn't what I'm looking for. So it's back to trying to get my stupid refund and go to circuit city for the Onkyo 605 or pony up $200 more dollars and get the Denon model 1908.

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
The 663 is available for pre-order from jr.com for less than what you'll pay at a B&M store...but again it requires patience. JMO

SDRANGER619

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edgar
Patience I have plenty of (at times. haha), but since this receiver purchase was the result of an exchange of another product (HD-DVD player), I'm not sure if they'll give a refund...if they do then plans wil change.

Will keep everyone posted.

SDRANGER619

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edgar
**Update**

I ended up getting the Denon AVR-1908 receiver. So simple to get going. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks