What's new

Digital audio signal is "skipping"...bad cable? (1 Viewer)

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
I need some help here, as I have no idea what the problem is. I've got WOW digital cable service, and I'm using their DVR for the box. I'm using a Monster digital-coax cable for the audio, going into my Sony STR-DE885 receiver. When watching digital channels, my receiver is detecting the digital audio signal, but the audio will randomly "skip" at times. I notice it most on MTV Hits (24hr music videos), but have noticed it on other movie channels as well. The audio will go out, my receiver will light up with "UNLOCK" for a second or two, then the audio comes back and the receiver's display goes back to normal. Could my cable be bad? Or is it possibly just the service being interrupted? I haven't talked to WOW about this yet, as I thought I'd check here first. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'd guess that the problem is with the digital cable service box. It should work seamlessly and perfectly. You might want to try another cable just to make sure that the cable isn't the problem. Any old 75 ohm coax video cable works perfectly for digital audio.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
People who have mistakenly used a L/R audio cable (made with 50 ohm coax) have noticed momentary drop-outs in sound. Sometimes every minute, sometimes every 15 minutes.

Are you sure that cable is a video/digital coax cable and not an ordinary audio cable? Also - make sure things are snugly connected (loose cables are the number-one problem with most systems).

Try a different cable. And find your reciever manual to see what the "UNLOCK" message might mean. If that does not work, call the cable company. It does sound like the box might be having issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks