Devil's Advocate ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chas_Michael, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Does anyone know the average price for the original Devil's Advocate?

2. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

You may want to hop over to www.dvdpricesearch.com and check it out. You'll get about 8 places that sell it and it should be easy to calculate an average price.
    Hope this helps.

3. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Just guessing...but, I think he meant the OOP version.

-Chad

4. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Surprised that no one has chimed in on this yet.
    The OOPS Devil's Advocate is one of the most sought after DVDs out there, next to other titles like Criterion's The Killer and Salo (although god knows why on that second title, ugh). Unfortunately I will never own the later version of this title because I feel the scene in question that was cut was very cool and interesting, and since it occurs in the climax and has a lot of relevance to the title of the movie, the film has been compromised by its ommission.
    It ocassionally shows itself on Ebay auctions, although nowhere else really, and quickly rises in price. I've personally witnessed this title going for well over $200.
    If you see a Devil's Advocate DVD that contains a disclaimer on the back of the case referencing a work of art, you are in luck.
    Good luck. [​IMG]
    Joseph

5. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

Can anyone tell me what exactly was cut?

6. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Here is the full scoop on what happened.
    Joseph

7. Stan

Stan Producer

About two years ago I bought an opened version to watch and one still in it's original shrinkwrap. Found them on eBay and paid around $30 each.

No particular reason. But they were OOP, possibly rare, and I wanted them.

Also wanted Little Shop of Horrors, but it was and still is selling for way to much.

8. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

I have a copy of the original release. Unfortunately it has gone to crap. I watched it through once with no problems. The 2nd time I tried to watch it, it was very messed up after the layer change, it jumps, pauses and gets all pixelated. It's quite sad. [​IMG] I'll never get another copy, cause I'm not spending $200 for one, and I don't want the edited version.

9. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

Okay, we now know the story behind the edits.. but what actual scenes have been removed/edited for this release?

My copy is of a UK R2 version, and it does have a disclaimer on the back of the box, and it's still the edited version.. dammit!

IMDB's "alternate versions" state :

10. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

No scenes were cut, it's just that in every scene leading up to the finale the statue has been digitally altered so it isn't a blatant copy of "Ex Nihilo". For the final showdown the bodies still come out of the statue and the scene plays as it did originally.

Honestly this whole situation could have been avoided had Warner bothered to lisence the statue from the National Cathedral. I mean there's really no excuse for a company valued in the billions to be involved in that kind of blatant theft of another's work without permission. Sorry if I seem angry about this but I grew up and went to school in the shadow of the Cathedral and I have relatives who work there and it really bothers me.

- Guy

11. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

I personally own the original version, I ended paying $40 for it. But admit, Warner did a very good job fixing the scene in question.

12. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Cool ... I had no idea the price had risen so quickly.
    I bought Devil's Advocate DVD on release day for $20. Then a few weeks later, after hearing about the bruhaha over the sculpture, I spotted a 1st ed. copy in a used CD store for $10. bought that one too since I'd heard about the forthcoming digital changes. Both are still mint and play perfectly.
    I agree digital removal of the sculpture was a significant detraction from the film. Although I must admit, I've never seen the altered final climax scene.
    What do you know ... there's one 1st edition OOP copy up on Ebay right now.
    No bidders yet --> Devil's Advocate OOP DVD
    HMMMMM ... what to do? I'll be watching this one
    Scott

13. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

14. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I just checked mine. Plays flawlessly. I too bought the original, back in 1998. The written disclaimer was on the wrap, so I lost it. There's also a disclaimer after the end credits.

Cees

15. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

16. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

It is important to have the original version as it was intended to be but just cause a little alteration happened doesn't mean a purchase shouldn't be made. Warner Bros did a great job with it and you wouldn't know it was changed unless someone told you. Really, no footage was cut out! The only complaint I have with the DVD is that you can't view the deleted scenes with production audio.

17. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

18. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

The OOP Devil's Advocate was my very first DVD purchased - some months before I could afford to get a DVD player! I'd already found the HTF and was reading here about the brouhaha, and made sure to pick up a copy of the original release before it disappeared. [​IMG]