What's new

Devil's Advocate ? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Surprised that no one has chimed in on this yet.
The OOPS Devil's Advocate is one of the most sought after DVDs out there, next to other titles like Criterion's The Killer and Salo (although god knows why on that second title, ugh). Unfortunately I will never own the later version of this title because I feel the scene in question that was cut was very cool and interesting, and since it occurs in the climax and has a lot of relevance to the title of the movie, the film has been compromised by its ommission.
It ocassionally shows itself on Ebay auctions, although nowhere else really, and quickly rises in price. I've personally witnessed this title going for well over $200.
If you see a Devil's Advocate DVD that contains a disclaimer on the back of the case referencing a work of art, you are in luck.
Good luck. :D
Joseph

Stan

Senior HTF Member
About two years ago I bought an opened version to watch and one still in it's original shrinkwrap. Found them on eBay and paid around $30 each.

No particular reason. But they were OOP, possibly rare, and I wanted them.

Also wanted Little Shop of Horrors, but it was and still is selling for way to much.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I have a copy of the original release. Unfortunately it has gone to crap. I watched it through once with no problems. The 2nd time I tried to watch it, it was very messed up after the layer change, it jumps, pauses and gets all pixelated. It's quite sad. :frowning: I'll never get another copy, cause I'm not spending $200 for one, and I don't want the edited version.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Okay, we now know the story behind the edits.. but what actual scenes have been removed/edited for this release?

My copy is of a UK R2 version, and it does have a disclaimer on the back of the box, and it's still the edited version.. dammit!

IMDB's "alternate versions" state :
In the version released for USA premium cable channels (premiering September 19, 1998 on HBO) as well as later releases on home video, the following changes were made in response to the lawsuit regarding the large white statue in Milton's office: in all the early scenes in his office, the statue has been changed. It looks much like the original with one major difference - there are no people in it. Instead, it's just an abstract swoosh of white waves. This was digitally inserted by Warner's effects department, and they did what must be said is an amazing job - the overlay is completely seamless, even following the random camera motions around the office. Later at the climax, when Lomax first arrives at Milton's office for the showdown and we hear Milton's voice bouncing around the office, the statue starts swirling to life. It comes to a rest in the form seen in the original version of the movie, with all the human forms in it, as Milton makes his appearance. From that point on, the scene remains the same as in the original.
Curses.. I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open for it sometime.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
No scenes were cut, it's just that in every scene leading up to the finale the statue has been digitally altered so it isn't a blatant copy of "Ex Nihilo". For the final showdown the bodies still come out of the statue and the scene plays as it did originally.

Honestly this whole situation could have been avoided had Warner bothered to lisence the statue from the National Cathedral. I mean there's really no excuse for a company valued in the billions to be involved in that kind of blatant theft of another's work without permission. Sorry if I seem angry about this but I grew up and went to school in the shadow of the Cathedral and I have relatives who work there and it really bothers me.

- Guy

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I personally own the original version, I ended paying $40 for it. But admit, Warner did a very good job fixing the scene in question.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Cool ... I had no idea the price had risen so quickly.
I bought Devil's Advocate DVD on release day for $20. Then a few weeks later, after hearing about the bruhaha over the sculpture, I spotted a 1st ed. copy in a used CD store for $10. bought that one too since I'd heard about the forthcoming digital changes. Both are still mint and play perfectly.
I agree digital removal of the sculpture was a significant detraction from the film. Although I must admit, I've never seen the altered final climax scene.
What do you know ... there's one 1st edition OOP copy up on Ebay right now.
No bidders yet --> Devil's Advocate OOP DVD
HMMMMM ... what to do? I'll be watching this one
Scott

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
It ocassionally shows itself on Ebay auctions, although nowhere else really, and quickly rises in price. I've personally witnessed this title going for well over $200.
Lucky for me I purchased this on release date back in '98. I had no idea that it was fetching that high of price. For some reason I lumped it in with my now worthless "Live" version of Platoon, which still holds a sentimental spot in my heart as my first disc.

-Chad

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I just checked mine. Plays flawlessly. I too bought the original, back in 1998. The written disclaimer was on the wrap, so I lost it. There's also a disclaimer after the end credits.

Cees

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I agree digital removal of the sculpture was a significant detraction from the film. Although I must admit, I've never seen the altered final climax scene.
I don't understand this logic. How can you agree with something being a distraction if you have never viewed it?

I did not think the alterations were that big of a distraction....if you never knew there was an original version, you would have no clue that anything was changed. It was a very nice job done by the effects crew. For me the changes would not be a deal breaker in getting the disc.

J

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
It is important to have the original version as it was intended to be but just cause a little alteration happened doesn't mean a purchase shouldn't be made. Warner Bros did a great job with it and you wouldn't know it was changed unless someone told you. Really, no footage was cut out! The only complaint I have with the DVD is that you can't view the deleted scenes with production audio.

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
The OOP Devil's Advocate was my very first DVD purchased - some months before I could afford to get a DVD player! I'd already found the HTF and was reading here about the brouhaha, and made sure to pick up a copy of the original release before it disappeared. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks