What's new

10 from the 10s - Give us your preferences and why (1 Viewer)

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
The decade from 2010 - 2020 has been widely regarded by more than a few that movies from this era do not match up to the standards of previous decades. The reasons given by these critics are numerous and include people inside the industry and fans too.

Whilst I may agree with this view somewhat, to play devil's advocate cinema is now over 100 years old so there is a strong argument that perhaps it's very difficult to create anything with any originality due to the evolution of cinema over this time-frame and the quantity of movies made over this long period.

Also, the average attention span has declined over the decades so there is a lot of factors that make it more difficult for filmmakers to get bums on seats and modern technology certainly does not seem to be helping.

Therefore, the aim of this thread is to observe if the strong arguments against this heavily criticized decade holds any weight by getting forum members to list their favourite 10 movies of this decade and why without having to go into too much detail. No essay is required but any input that can eloquently dispute these claims with words used to champion their preferred movies would be much appreciated.

Hopefully, this thread can get others to watch brilliant movies from this decade that they have either avoided due to prejudice or was just not aware of for whatever reason such as low budget and a lack of marketing limiting its exposure etc.

Having sat through a lot of dull, uninspiring and extremely tedious movies from this decade I look forward to seeing people's inclusions which with a bit of luck get me to watch a few new films from this modern era that entertain me and put a smile on my face instead of feeling I have wasted yet another 90 minutes plus that I will never get back.

Maybe everyone's contribution can help sell the idea that this decade is not as bad as some claim. Then again maybe this decade really has been poor in contributing a large enough quantity of movies that interest, entertain and impress to a scale large enough that can compare with other decades regarded as superior in every way.

Without further ado I will include my 10. Please note this list is not necessarily an opinion on the 10 best of the decade but certainly 10 films that have real human emotional creative input, intelligent script writing and aesthetic beauty with quality drama that make them cinematic works of art worthy of watching.

Apologies if these are all well known by most on here but I wouldn't be creating this thread if I thought I had seen all worth seeing from this decade of movies. I have tried to avoid some of the obvious choices but with very few potential selections some have been included here.

Last edited:

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
1) Anon: 2018 – A brilliant entry into the sci-fi genre. According to boxofficemojo.com this film only grossed $1,000,000 + globally. Those figures are a travesty as this should have made millions more. Whatever the reason for flopping in theatres this deserves to be seen by a wider audience. In a world where anonymity is pure fantasy let alone close to any reality a detective played competently by Clive Owen tracks down a woman who appears to have no identity “Anon” played by Amanda Seyfried. Do not know what the budget was for this film but it looks to my eye a top Hollywood production with no expense spared as it shows us the dystopian world of the characters very convincingly. Like Andrew Niccol’s other directed movie “In Time” this movie serves as a warning as to the dangers of technology should we rely on it too much as it can easily imprison us should the circumstances be favourable for it to do so. It raises serious questions about the importance of the individual right to privacy and the complex and different ways society views this vital aspect of civilization. A must watch.

2) Whiplash: 2014 – This in my opinion is actually the best movie of the decade and one of the few that I have seen from this era that can closely match any movie made in any other decade. I truly believe time will serve this movie very well and guarantee its rightful entry as a masterpiece. The performance by J.K Simmons is one of the best I have seen in cinema. I was completely blown away and to my surprise before watching this movie had never heard of him. As an Oscar winner and grossing $50 million worldwide this addition will not come as a surprise to anyone. But just in case you have not seen it don’t hesitate and watch this top notch movie. The performances and skilful direction make this movie engrossing from the first second to the final credits. An ambitious young student played by Miles Teller is enrolled at a music education establishment as a talented drummer and finds himself getting lessons from a unconventional teacher whose methods appear not only unusual but absolutely brutal. A tale about what lengths should one go to in order to perfect and master their art. Not many movies of any era have a screenplay that has this kind of intelligence and masterful drama. The relationship/conflict between teacher and student gets stretched to major extremes with major consequences and questionable results. Like most works of great art it leaves the viewer asking questions as opposed to just giving us straight answers. The ending is far from conclusive but satisfying and perfect in many ways. The movie manages to avoid clichés and the viewer is never left predicting what the outcome of the story will be at any given time. It leaves you wanting more. Cinematic bliss from start to finish.

3) Sicario: 2015 – Like Whiplash probably no surprise to anyone it’s included here especially considering it grossed $84 million worldwide. However, it is a brilliant movie following the “war on drugs” as an FBI agent gets assigned into the underworld of narcotics between the US and Mexican border. The movie really captures and depicts a sinister/mysterious atmosphere that draws the viewer into this murky, dark other world and delivers a very complex story of the politics and bureaucracy involved in this high stakes world of big money and the ruthless gangs involved. Nothing is what it seems and you are left wondering who are actually the good guys and who are not. Definitely an adult thriller this one.

4) Margin Call: 2011 – An excellent drama in the world of high finance with a great ensemble cast and Jeremy Irons who steals every scene in a supporting role playing the psychopathic CEO of a major US bank which just might be on the hook for a lot of dough should they not make some extremely important decisions against the clock which might just change not only the banking industry forever but also the USA too. Heavily influenced by the 2008 financial crisis this movie gives us a peak into the life of quants and other high fliers on Wall Street on big salaries who have to make some big decisions with big consequences. The chilling/cold aesthetic of the movie is perfect for the telling of this world involving characters that have no moral compass (with few exceptions) and the power of banks to hold the world to ransom and get away with it. Life is a game to these folks and when the music stops all that matters is that you have a chair to sit on and to hell with everyone else.

5) The American: 2010 – Found this to be a very impressive movie about an American assassin who intends to carry out one last job before calling it quits. It’s very cold emotionally similar to a Stanley Kubrick picture in many ways and one supposes it’s the right choice considering the subject matter. However, it is beautifully photographed and it captures the paranoia and evil that exists in this extremely dark underworld of killers for hire with intelligence and originality.

To be continued. Will leave others to add their list before inserting my final 5 for consideration. It might give me time to watch more movies from this era so maybe another movie not considered might get included.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I can give 4 off the top of my head-

Hell Or High Water- has become one of my favorite films. No fat in the film, great acting by Pine and Foster, playing the estranged brothers who re-establish a bond, and has a little humor along the way
(funny scene in the small town restaurant where the crusty old waitress tells the Rangers what they’re going to eat).

The Big Short- love the attitude of the film, and Carell is fantastic as the tortured wheeler and dealer. Film still is hard to grasp after multiple viewings, but I really enjoy it.

Spotlight- deserving of its Oscar. Everything done well.

Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri- it is a ferocious and at times a
depressing film, but the Oscars liked the film for the acting (3 nominations, 2 wins). I also loved the writing.

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
La La Land 2016

Margin Call 2011

The Great Beauty 2013

Youth 2015

The Dark Knight Rises 2012

Interstellar 2014

Dunkirk 2017

Tenet 2020

Portrait of a Lady on Fire 2019

Before Midnight 2013

Boyhood 2014

4 from Nolan, 2 from Linklater, 2 from Sorrentino, my three favourite contemporary directors. Take (any) one from Nolan to make it 10!

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Another top film I thought of is The Social Network. Good everything in it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Nightcrawler - This stands up as one of the best, my favorites, of the decade. A truly great film.

The Sisters Brothers - Not what you think it is. Funny in parts but a beautiful film about human beings and our connections. This was a dream project for John C. Reilly. You want some great writing and a Western? Here you go.

Inside Llewyn Davis - I love the Coens, this picture probably marks the end of their being big deal directors. No, they did not vanish and they did make two more pictures, but this one was the last time one of their films was a big deal release in cinemas. Hail Caesar! was kind of ignored in cinemas and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was a Netflix movie. They seem to be working on their own now. It is like what Jean Smart tells Brad Pitt in Babylon, their time is just over. Unique pictures by interesting directors have gone out of fashion. The following year, 2014, is probably where things really shifted in the film industry.

Arrival - There were a couple of filmmakers that arrived in this decade, Denis is one of them, and this picture does something that I think great filmmakers can do, takes a complex idea or ideas and makes it something that works as entertainment for the masses. The key is the emotional hook in the story, about a mother and daughter. I would call the decade, 2010-2020, the decade of women in films, for a bunch of reasons, and Amy Adams is at the center of this. Yes, she plays a cunning linguist.

Annihilation - This film is quite probably the science fiction masterpiece of the decade. It also does the hot thing and features a cast of primarily women but you never really think about that because the story is so damn good. I guess this flopped because it did not have the hook Arrival did, but of the two, this one is the more fascinating film to me. Garland is a joy as a writer and constantly tries to take complex ideas and make them entertaining. The ending in the zone is probably too 2001 for audiences today, but damn what a fantastic film about human beings and how we understand/misunderstand each other and ourselves. This should have been a hit film.

Mandy - Yup, this is pure cinema adrenaline rush. A freak out with Nic Cage but the ultimate Nic Cage freak out. When you get a film like this where explaining any part of the plot is not going to get you anywhere near what you are going to see...well, we have a movie that must be seen to be believed. If you believe that going to the movies should make you feel as if you are having a waking dream/nightmare this is your kind of picture.

Shutter Island - Let me just say Scorsese had an amazing decade pretty much crushing Tarantino's idea that filmmakers decline and can't make great films as they get into their golden years. Scorsese showed he could make big crazed epics like The Wolf of Wall Street, which is one of the best of the decade, but he kicked things off with this little Hitchcockian fever dream. I love this film as pure entertainment and think it is an amazing piece of work.

The Master - Another guy that had a great decade. I love all his work but this film is a classic waiting to be recognized as such. He takes two tremendous actors and has them play off each other and it is mesmerizing.

You Were Never Really Here - Female filmmaker, Ramsay, directs the actor of the decade, Phoenix, in an absolutely brutal and brilliant film. This film hits as hard as the protagonist's hammer. Great picture.

The Grand Budapest Hotel - Anderson delivers confections, cinematic desserts, that really only can come from him. This was a great one that seemed to combine and perfect everything he likes to do. He creates a world to escape into here and isn't this what many people want from pictures?

I'll take this list to eleven with a recommendation of a great film probably few have seen...

Cold in July - A great noir that pulls you in and takes you on a fun ride with a group of great characters. Loved this one and it was way under the radar.

I can keep going but will let those sink in. I also think Tarantino made the best film of his career in this decade with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. We got one of the greatest Bond films in the franchise with Skyfall.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Nightcrawler - This stands up as one of the best, my favorites, of the decade. A truly great film.

The Sisters Brothers - Not what you think it is. Funny in parts but a beautiful film about human beings and our connections. This was a dream project for John C. Reilly. You want some great writing and a Western? Here you go.

Inside Llewyn Davis - I love the Coens, this picture probably marks the end of their being big deal directors. No, they did not vanish and they did make two more pictures, but this one was the last time one of their films was a big deal release in cinemas. Hail Caesar! was kind of ignored in cinemas and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was a Netflix movie. They seem to be working on their own now. It is like what Jean Smart tells Brad Pitt in Babylon, their time is just over. Unique pictures by interesting directors have gone out of fashion. The following year, 2014, is probably where things really shifted in the film industry.

Arrival - There were a couple of filmmakers that arrived in this decade, Denis is one of them, and this picture does something that I think great filmmakers can do, takes a complex idea or ideas and makes it something that works as entertainment for the masses. The key is the emotional hook in the story, about a mother and daughter. I would call the decade, 2010-2020, the decade of women in films, for a bunch of reasons, and Amy Adams is at the center of this. Yes, she plays a cunning linguist.

Annihilation - This film is quite probably the science fiction masterpiece of the decade. It also does the hot thing and features a cast of primarily women but you never really think about that because the story is so damn good. I guess this flopped because it did not have the hook Arrival did, but of the two, this one is the more fascinating film to me. Garland is a joy as a writer and constantly tries to take complex ideas and make them entertaining. The ending in the zone is probably too 2001 for audiences today, but damn what a fantastic film about human beings and how we understand/misunderstand each other and ourselves. This should have been a hit film.

Mandy - Yup, this is pure cinema adrenaline rush. A freak out with Nic Cage but the ultimate Nic Cage freak out. When you get a film like this where explaining any part of the plot is not going to get you anywhere near what you are going to see...well, we have a movie that must be seen to be believed. If you believe that going to the movies should make you feel as if you are having a waking dream/nightmare this is your kind of picture.

Shutter Island - Let me just say Scorsese had an amazing decade pretty much crushing Tarantino's idea that filmmakers decline and can't make great films as they get into their golden years. Scorsese showed he could make big crazed epics like The Wolf of Wall Street, which is one of the best of the decade, but he kicked things off with this little Hitchcockian fever dream. I love this film as pure entertainment and think it is an amazing piece of work.

The Master - Another guy that had a great decade. I love all his work but this film is a classic waiting to be recognized as such. He takes two tremendous actors and has them play off each other and it is mesmerizing.

You Were Never Really Here - Female filmmaker, Ramsay, directs the actor of the decade, Phoenix, in an absolutely brutal and brilliant film. This film hits as hard as the protagonist's hammer. Great picture.

The Grand Budapest Hotel - Anderson delivers confections, cinematic desserts, that really only can come from him. This was a great one that seemed to combine and perfect everything he likes to do. He creates a world to escape into here and isn't this what many people want from pictures?

I'll take this list to eleven with a recommendation of a great film probably few have seen...

Cold in July - A great noir that pulls you in and takes you on a fun ride with a group of great characters. Loved this one and it was way under the radar.

I can keep going but won't let those sink in. I also think Tarantino made the best film of his career in this decade with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. We got one of the greatest Bond films in the franchise with Skyfall.
Good call on Nightcrawler- that also is one of my favorites from the past decade. Haven’t watched The Master yet- the only P.T. Anderson film I haven’t seen yet.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Good call on Nightcrawler- that also is one of my favorites from the past decade. Haven’t watched The Master yet- the only P.T. Anderson film I haven’t seen yet.

Nightcrawler is just a brilliant film. It put Dan Gilroy on my radar. I like his two follow-up films to this, but they are not as great as Nightcrawler.

The Master is a great picture. I mean the 70mm aspect gives us great visuals but the fireworks pretty much come from Phoenix and Hoffman who are just on fire here. I think people come into it as a drama but this is pretty funny. Phoenix is totally submerged in his part, he lost a bunch of weight for this, uses weird posture for his character, and just seems to do all kinds of unexpected things. Every time he and Hoffman share the screen it is funny and electric. I think when people watch Anderson's films he does different things so it surprises people. Because people come in looking at this as a drama the humor goes right by them. It's intense and nutty at the same time. It is also interesting to think about Tom Cruise watching this film because Hoffman's character is obviously a biting take on the bullshit artist that was L. Ron Hubbard. This is one of those pictures that, for me, gets richer every time I watch it. It does make me miss Hoffman though. The guy was such a great actor and screen presence.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Plenty of good movies on Reggie's list but I have to highlight...
That's a truly great movie and my pick as the Coens' best picture.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
If the year 2010 counts, then Inception would be on my list. A classic Chris Nolan mindbender that never forgets it’s there to entertain as well.

Whiplash was my favourite film of 2014, and is still one of my favorites for the decade.

Avengers: Endgame was a monumental effort that sought to bring a 20+ film saga to a conclusion, that involved dozens of characters, several stories to be finished, plenty of emotions to be explored, etc. Then the writers threw in a time travel plot (which could easily derail any film) that actually had some thought behind it. And the final product? Nailed it.

La La Land - a wonderful, joyous, bittersweet, heartbreaking throwback to 50s musicals while depicting the emotional rollercoaster of trying to achieve one’s dreams in Los Angeles.

Also concur with Interstellar and Arrival - 2 thought-provoking sci-fi films that blew my mind with some of the scientific implications and revelations.

Inside Out - a fascinating psychiatry study masquerading as animated entertainment.

Those are the ones off the top of my head… perhaps more later…

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm listing my favorite movies from 2010 to 2019. In other words, I know that there's better movies than Scream 4 but I'm going with what I like over what are objectively "the best" movies. Also, I'm leaving Star Wars movies off the list because they will take up half of the list.

While it's only a couple of years old, I'm already comfortable saying that Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is one of my favorite movies ever (let alone the decade) so that tops my list.

My 2010 to 2019 favorites (alphabetically):
Dunkirk
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Master
Midsommar
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
Scream 4
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
The Wolf Wall Street

Honorable mentions: Baby Driver, Django Unchained, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl, Good Time, The Hateful Eight, Interstellar, The Martian, Nightcrawler and Uncut Gems.

And guaranteed that I'll read an upcoming post from someone else and think "Oh yeah, that should have been on my list over [movie X]" :laugh:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Plenty of good movies on Reggie's list but I have to highlight...

That's a truly great movie and my pick as the Coens' best picture.

I did not think my list through that well, and was not sure if I should list films that I thought were the best of 2010-2020 or films I thought were great that I felt like more people should have seen. So, I did a little of both. Kind of went with the first ones to come to mind.

I hope the Coen Brothers make another picture or really several more, but I am not sure where they stand right now. Looking over their career at this point it hit me that Llewyn Davis was the last time one of their pictures made any kind of splash as a theatrical release...that is now a decade ago. Since that time, pictures like the films the Coens are known for, have pretty much gone totally out of style. It made me sad to think about this but if they don't attempt another film together, I can kind of see why. Not likely many people will show up to see it if they do. That's hard to swallow when they are a pair of the greatest American filmmakers to have walked the planet.

I'm not even sure how well Buster Scruggs did for Netflix and that has not been given a Blu-ray release yet.

Obviously, good pictures have been released in this decade but not sure how popular many of these good pictures were. I should do another ten that just are pictures I think more people should have seen.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Two disclaimers:

Honestly I don't watch as many films these days as I did when I was younger, so my list is bereft of some films that probably should make the list.

I decided to just name the favorite film from each calendar year as a way of organizing this post.

2010 - Inception - I was already a big fan of Christopher Nolan and this film certainly solidified that opinion. Impeccably staged action sequences, a great cast, temporal manipulation, and the idea at the core of the film all made this a favorite. I've watched it a handful of times since 2010 and it really holds up well.

2011 - Drive - Being a fan of noir and neo-noir this film feels like a natural selection for me. I thought this was a perfect role for Ryan Gosling. Being a neo-noir the overall tone and atmosphere was critical to my enjoyment and director Refn does a fine job establishing the tone of the film during the opening sequence of the film. (As I recently mentioned to Robert Crawford it has been awhile since I've seen this feature. Something I need to correct.)

2012 - Silver Linings Playbook - This was sort of a tough year to decide upon. I'm missing a few highly regarded films from my viewing experience and it was kind of a toss up for those I had seen. I decided on this film on the strength of the cast and the uniformly excellent acting on display in this feature. Another film I haven't seen in a while, but something I do remember really enjoying.

2013 - Prisoners - Director Denis Villeneuve is about as "can't miss" as it is for me these days and this film certainly contributes to that assessment. Some great acting and tension in this feature. Terrific film.

2014 - Nightcrawler - Tough year to choose just one feature as several "favorites" premiered this year, but Nightcrawler might be the most memorable of them. Great, great performance from Gyllenhaal in this film. The cinematography really stands out in this feature and reminds me of the best of Michael Mann's night cinematography (which is a big compliment from me.)

2015 - The Revenant - As I've noted before, I am a big fan of survival films and this certainly fits the bill. Inarritu is another director whose works I almost universally admire and this is one of the better features in his resume. Some great natural settings on display in this film and solid work from DiCaprio and Hardy makes this a favorite of the '10s.

2016 - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - I am sure there are more critically acclaimed films from 2016, but none that I enjoyed more. I have always been a huge fan of the darker, more adult sensibilities of The Empire Strikes Back from the OT and Rogue One was like a gift for those of us who longed for content with that tone. A great entry into the Star Wars canon and a film that holds up remarkably well on repeat viewings, of which I have had a number.

2017 - Phantom Thread - For me, no best of list would be complete without a Paul Thomas Anderson film. This is an impeccably crafted film which is about as close to perfection as it gets. The acting, cinematography, editing, comstuming, production design, etc., etc. are all wonderful. Thematically the film feels like a cross between Hitchcock and Kubrick which is no small achievement. About as close to perfect as a film gets in my estimation.

2018 - The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - Probably one of the weaker years of the '10s for me, although once again - there is plenty I have not seen. This was a very enjoyable feature and I sort of felt like the Coens needed some representation. (I have still not seen Inside Llewyn Davis, although I've owned the Blu-Ray for a number of years. (Just sad.))

2019 - Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Easily the most enjoyable film of the year for me. I admired every aspect of Tarantino's "love letter" to Hollywood. I don't think Pitt has every been cooler and his chemistry with DiCaprio is just terrific. An endlessly entertaining feature that is extremely easy to revisit. Love, love this feature.

Honorable Mentions:

Avengers: Infinity War / Avengers: Endgame - A remarkable close to Phase 4 of the MCU, Incredibly well executed films. ( Cap's entrance at the train station in Infinity War remains my choice for the single 'baddest' entry by an action character. )

Interstellar - Definitely a favorite from director Nolan. Great sound design in this feature. Just edged out by Nightcrawler for 2014's entry.

The Martian - This is a film that has grown on me on repeated viewing. It is on FX all the time and like films such as (for me) Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, and The Fugitive, it is very very easy to just fall into the film wherever the storyline might be depending on when I stumble onto FX. One of those 'background' films.

Dunkirk - Another Nolan film that was edged out by the phenomenal Phantom Thread. Loved the acting in this film and the way the three timelines were staged and edited together. Terrific film.

Blade Runner 2049 - Another 2017 film that just missed the cut. Great followup to the original by Villeneuve.

- Walter.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Dunkirk 2017

To me Dunkirk is Nolan's best film and was one of the best of the decade under discussion. I think with Dunkirk he did his most impressive filmmaking and it did not have a massively convoluted plot like Inception. I am really looking forward to Oppenheimer.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I can keep going but will let those sink in. I also think Tarantino made the best film of his career in this decade with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. We got one of the greatest Bond films in the franchise with Skyfall.
Our tastes are probably a little more in alignment, though a couple here I haven't seen. I'd say Arrival is probably my best movie of the decade. I can understand why you like Annihilation so much for the filmmaking, but the story is just too abstract for me appreciate to that level. I think we've discussed Cold in July before. I saw it once but didn't really give it much thought. It's an easy one to overlook, and similar to Hell or High Water, which is also excellent. I know we've discussed Mandy.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
2015 - The Revenant - As I've noted before, I am a big fan of survival films and this certainly fits the bill. Inarritu is another director whose works I almost universally admire and this is one of the better features in his resume. Some great natural settings on display in this film and solid work from DiCaprio and Hardy makes this a favorite of the '10s.

This is another that I really love and would have on my best of the decade list. I love these outdoor adventure films and this one was flat out awesome.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Under The Skin is another picture I would have on my best of that decade list. It just is a fantastic piece of work by Mr. Glazer. Creepy, unique, and very inventive.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Two disclaimers:

Honestly I don't watch as many films these days as I did when I was younger, so my list is bereft of some films that probably should make the list.

I decided to just name the favorite film from each calendar year as a way of organizing this post.

2010 - Inception - I was already a big fan of Christopher Nolan and this film certainly solidified that opinion. Impeccably staged action sequences, a great cast, temporal manipulation, and the idea at the core of the film all made this a favorite. I've watched it a handful of times since 2010 and it really holds up well.

2011 - Drive - Being a fan of noir and neo-noir this film feels like a natural selection for me. I thought this was a perfect role for Ryan Gosling. Being a neo-noir the overall tone and atmosphere was critical to my enjoyment and director Refn does a fine job establishing the tone of the film during the opening sequence of the film. (As I recently mentioned to Robert Crawford it has been awhile since I've seen this feature. Something I need to correct.)

2012 - Silver Linings Playbook - This was sort of a tough year to decide upon. I'm missing a few highly regarded films from my viewing experience and it was kind of a toss up for those I had seen. I decided on this film on the strength of the cast and the uniformly excellent acting on display in this feature. Another film I haven't seen in a while, but something I do remember really enjoying.

2013 - Prisoners - Director Denis Villeneuve is about as "can't miss" as it is for me these days and this film certainly contributes to that assessment. Some great acting and tension in this feature. Terrific film.

2014 - Nightcrawler - Tough year to choose just one feature as several "favorites" premiered this year, but Nightcrawler might be the most memorable of them. Great, great performance from Gyllenhaal in this film. The cinematography really stands out in this feature and reminds me of the best of Michael Mann's night cinematography (which is a big compliment from me.)

2016 - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - I am sure there are more critically acclaimed films from 2016, but none that I enjoyed more. I have always been a huge fan of the darker, more adult sensibilities of The Empire Strikes Back from the OT and Rogue One was like a gift for those of us who longed for content with that tone. A great entry into the Star Wars canon and a film that holds up remarkably well on repeat viewings, of which I have had a number.

2017 - Phantom Thread - For me, no best of list would be complete without a Paul Thomas Anderson film. This is an impeccably crafted film which is about as close to perfection as it gets. The acting, cinematography, editing, comstuming, production design, etc., etc. are all wonderful. Thematically the film feels like a cross between Hitchcock and Kubrick which is no small achievement. About as close to perfect as a film gets in my estimation.

2018 - The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - Probably one of the weaker years of the '10s for me, although once again - there is plenty I have not seen. This was a very enjoyable feature and I sort of felt like the Coens needed some representation. (I have still not seen Inside Llewyn Davis, although I've owned the Blu-Ray for a number of years. (Just sad.))

2019 - Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Easily the most enjoyable film of the year for me. I admired every aspect of Tarantino's "love letter" to Hollywood. I don't think Pitt has every been cooler and his chemistry with DiCaprio is just terrific. An endlessly entertaining feature that is extremely easy to revisit. Love, love this feature.

Honorable Mentions:

Avengers: Infinity War / Avengers: Endgame - A remarkable close to Phase 4 of the MCU, Incredibly well executed films. ( Cap's entrance at the train station in Infinity War remains my choice for the single 'baddest' entry by an action character. )

Interstellar - Definitely a favorite from director Nolan. Great sound design in this feature. Just edged out by Nightcrawler for 2014's entry.

The Martian - This is a film that has grown on me on repeated viewing. It is on FX all the time and like films such as (for me) Jaws, The Shawshank Redemption, and The Fugitive, it is very very easy to just fall into the film wherever the storyline might be depending on when I stumble onto FX. One of those 'background' films.

Dunkirk - Another Nolan film that was edged out by the phenomenal Phantom Thread. Loved the acting in this film and the way the three timelines were staged and edited together. Terrific film.

Blade Runner 2049 - Another 2017 film that just missed the cut. Great followup to the original by Villeneuve.

- Walter.
Another film I had forgotten- The Martian. Really enjoy it (except for maybe how Damon’s character gets back together with his partners). Combines Cast Away with
Apollo 13.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
This is another that I really love and would have on my best of the decade list. I love these outdoor adventure films and this one was flat out awesome.

Outdoor, first person survival features have been something I've enjoyed my entire film viewing life. ( I think network television showings of Robinson Crusoe on Mars, The Naked Prey, and Man In The Wilderness set the hook during my formative years. :) Also worth mentioning, Kirk vs. the Gorn in Arena (based on the excellent SF short story by Frederic Brown) is another favorite survival feature from that time. )

Also, I should've included Arrival in my Honorable Mentions. Splendid adaptation of the Nebula Award winning novella Story Of Your Life by Ted Chiang.

- Walter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Under The Skin is another picture I would have on my best of that decade list. It just is a fantastic piece of work by Mr. Glazer. Creepy, unique, and very inventive.
Another seriously odd movie I need to revisit. I know I have the BR somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks