What's new

Device depth conundrum (1 Viewer)

Rotard12a

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Hey all. I'm doing some upgrades to 3 of my parent's entertainment set-ups in different rooms. Each is an HD TV with no A/V receiver, a DirecTV HR-22 dvr, a wireless receiver/ethernet hub, and a Slingbox PRO HD SB300-100. In all three cases, the TV is on top of a dresser with the "stack" to the right or left. I'm looking for a good BD player model, so that we can sling DVDs and BDs from each of the rigs. I want to stack them in-between my current devices. Problem: Every modern BD player I've found dimensions for is considerably wider and less deep than both the DVR and Slingbox. If I tried to stack them, it'd be like putting a foot-long hot dog between two slices of Wonder Bread (or dog on the bottom with 2 slices on top). The Slingbox needs to be on top because has a trapezoidal shape. They must be on stacked device on top of device for 3 reasons: 1. The dressers are not the kind of furniture that you would want to drill mounting hardware onto the back of 2. This is a budget exercise, and I want to spend little more than the BD players themselves. This means NO IR extenders and NO more furniture 3. The drawers are filled with stuff and are in active use, so I can't put any devices inside the dressers themselves. So does anybody either know of a new player that doesn't have goofy dimensions? Or an alternative to help me stack them (i.e. stable/attractive risers etc.)? Or some other creative solution? Dimensions: DVR: 15.2x12.25in Slingbox: 14.4x9.6in (That gives the DVR a minimum depth of 9.6 inches with no maximum width if it's deeper than 12.25, or a maximum with of 15.2 in if the depth is between 9.6 and 12.25in)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Budget wasn't mentioned. The only player I know that sort of meets those requirements is probably overkill for these systems and is not cheap. That would be the Oppo BDP-93: 16-7/8 x 12-1/4 x 3-1/8 inches, but it is $500 new. An amp stand might be small enough to at least allow the stacking, but they also are generally close to $75 and up, but you could just look for something like a computer monitor riser that you can probably get for around $20-30.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Not sure how current a model this is but here's an option: Sony S-185. 13" wide, 10.9" deep.

Never mind - another case of Amazon's specs bearing no resemblance to reality...

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Dimensions: DVR: 15.2x12.25in Slingbox: 14.4x9.6in
Have a simple fix that may work for you... By a storage cube like this one...and turn it on its side...drill a few holes in the back to run the wires....or can drill multiple holes to help with cooling... Size: 15 1/2" Tall x 13 3/8" Wide x 11 3/8" Deep-- placed on it's side...so the dimensions would be: 13 3/8" Tall x 15.1/2" Wide x 11.3/8" Deep... Then - you could put the 2 items you already have on top of the box - and whatever blu-ray player you want inside of it... The 2 items you have already stack - and you no longer have to get the correct dimensions to fit in between them... These boxes run $24.00 for 2 of them...so you won't be breaking the bank...they come in many colors - here is a black sample... http://www.organize.com/eco-friendly-storage-cube-black-tall.html If you are handy with wood - it would be even cheaper to make your own....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks