Denon DVD-2900 vs. SACD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JamesDH, Jul 6, 2003.

1. JamesDH

JamesDH Extra

I bought a slew of SACD titles for my new player and was listening happily when I started noticing popping/clicking. I tried different titles with the same results. I was even thinking that maybe it was part of the recording, but when I rewind and listen to the same spot the popping/clicking won't be there at all or will be in a different spot. It seems to be at random and is most easily heard on songs with slow fade outs at the end. I have tried regular CD's and several DVD-A titles and there is no problem there, all sound great. I have played numerous DVD's and all play and sound fine through the 5.1 analogue outs or through my optical. Anybody else have this problem?

2. JamesDH

JamesDH Extra

102 views and no replies? Guess I was he only one. I exchanged my unit and so far so good.

3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Just came across your post James sounds like a missaligned laser to me.

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I think there is a discussion of this at the AVS forum. Perhaps you posted there as well?

BGL

5. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

You should hear no popping etc..glad you got another unit.My first unit skipped on dvd a's,all 20 I own,my replacement works great.I have heard of a couple sacd popping dealeo's but I could find nobody with my dvd-a problem.I love the sound and features.

6. JamesDH

JamesDH Extra

Yes my new unit that I got yesterday is working fine. The only popping/ticks I hear now are the edits and stuff not created by the player, but are part of the recordings. I did also visit the AVS Forum and found a few people with similar problems but they seemed to have it even worse than me. I'm just glad I have a unit that works like it is supposed to. I guess a certain amount of defective players are always gonna make it out the door no matter what precautions a company takes. If anybody is looking for a fantastic player check out the Denon DVD-2900. -Jim

7. Laurent Balloy

8. JamesDH

JamesDH Extra

Thanks for the replies. I exchanged my unit and the new one works perfectly. Maybe the SACD chip in the other one I had was bad or had some microscopic abnormality.
    The sound on this unit is fantastic. Even regular CD's sound better. Kind of fun going through my collection and listening to old cd's and hearing new details and imrpoved sound quality.

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer