What's new

Denon DVD-2200 vs. Denon DVD-2900: Is the 2900 worth + $400 more? (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I recently picked up a Denon DVD-2200 from my local Good Guys. This will be replacing my Pany RP-91 (already sold!).

My 2200 is still sealed (though I might open her up here today) and I'm contemplating upgrading to the 2900 already.

I can get the Denon DVD-2900 for around $975 (w/ tax) because Good Guys is running a 10% off deal right now...or at least they were when I purchased the 2200. The 2200 cost me $587.51 (w/ tax) fter the 10% off deal.

I like the bigger footprint of the 2900 vs. the 2200.

They both play DVD-A/SACD - and that is very important to me, as I want to build-up my music library a little more in 2004 with multi-channel audio in both formats.

My question: What would you do? Is the 2900 that much better of a player than the 2200? Mt set (Sony 57HW40) is ISF calibrated (thanks to one Gregg Loewen!), so reference video is fairly important to me. However, money is also, as I'm in the military and we sure don't make too awful much :frowning:

I know that I'll have to decide in the end (2200 or 2900) but I thought that perhaps maybe somebody else here on the forum had contemplated this issue as well.

Thanks for any feedback and suggestions...

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I've read several threads that compare the 2200 to the 2900, and most everyone seems to agree that the video is the same, but the DACS in the 2900 are "more vidid and detailed". If that's worth $400.00 to you then by all means get the 2900. ;)

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
Judging from your statements, I would say go for it...I bought the 2900 over the 2200 for only one reason, multichannel audio and redbook cds. The build quality is very high and sound is stellar.

The 2200 is supposed to sound very good as well though, but if you are buying for overall audio performance, I would spring for the 2900. For the average non critical listener the 2200 is the better bargain.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
There have also been claims over at AVS that the 2200 does display a layer-break, albeit, but a very slight one. My 2900 has yet to display a layer-break. I found this odd since I believe both players use the same amount of buffer memory. The build quality on the 2900 is much better and the audio is improved (2200 uses Burr Brown 1791, the 2900 uses the custom made 1790, which is now available oin the BB lineup as 1792). That's about it though.

Reg

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have not seen any layer changes since getting the 2200. They were all obvious on my previous players.

If you are giving audio a priority, then I would go with the 2900.

Audio is a priority to me as well, but I already have a good SACD player, so I didn't opt for the 2900.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
To me, it was worth it. I've had my 2900 for less than a week and have no regrets. It has improved the sound of my old redbook CD's and concert DVD's dramatically. Still building my DVD-A/SACD collection. But, to me, audio was a priority. You have to make that call.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I really don't think you are going to see a $400 difference. The 2900 has better audio, but you may not even be able to tell the difference. I don't know what kind of sound system you have so it is hard to tell if the extra quality audio will make a difference. I know it is hard to convince yourself that you don't need the 2900, but if budget is a concern I think you are fine with the 2200.

That being said, I too went with the 2900, but I got mine for $750 + tax from my dealer at a private sale (but I walked out with over $2 grand that night, so I was able to deal). So, tough decision. But I think buyers remorse already has the best of you, so you might as well put yourself out of misery and get the 2900.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Thanks everyone for the help and information on this subject!

I finally hooked up my 2200 and I'm quite impressed.

Video quality is really good - I think it is even better than I previously was seeing with my Pany RP-91. I watched "Bad Boys II" last night and was very pleased to say the least. (Even though I feel asleep half way through)

Audio Quality, is also pretty impressive...but I'm just not overwhelmed like I had hoped to be...but maybe that's just my setup or maybe my choice of software. Maybe the 2900 is a better choice for me...

I purchased about $120 in SACD/DVD-Audio titles this evening...and I'll be giving them all a play over the next day or so on the 2200 to see what I come up with...

I still kinda "want" the 2900...but I'm not so sure I need it really :)

I may be in negotiations with a fellow HTF member to purchase a used 2900 for a pretty good price, so this may make it a "win-win" situation for me (saving a little $$ and getting a 2900)as well.

I'll keep you all informed...thanks again for the help!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Does the Denon 2200 provide aspect ratio control for full frame material -- i.e. will it pillarbox full frame material to allow a 16x9 TV to remain in FULL mode?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My TV has no problem staying in FULL, regardless of the aspect ratio of the material, so I don't understand the question.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My Panny RP-91 will automatically insert black side bars on 4x3 full frame material, allowing me to keep my 16x9 TV in FULL mode and providing a proper, undistorted image. Without this feature, I would be required to change the viewing mode on my 16x9 TV from FULL to NORMAL, which uses ugly gray side bars instead of black ones (which disappear with the lights off), or watch a stretched image in the TV's FULL mode. Besides, I hate being required to change viewing modes on the TV when a DVD player should be able to handle the aspect ratio changes automatically -- after all, the discs are flagged as anamorphic widescreen or full frame.

Does the Denon 2200 pillarbox 4x3 material for a 16x9 television?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks, Jeremy. I'm always keeping an eye open for a possible upgrade of my RP-91 (even though the Denon does not scale non-anamorphic widescreen material).

Michael, have you tried any video-based material on the Denon yet to compare it to your RP-91? Any combing issues? This is my only real issue with the RP-91 (especially the Star Trek Next Generation discs).

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Scott

I'll try some video-based stuff this weekend and let you know here on the forum. I won't have much time until then...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks