What's new

Denon 3802--need help hooking everything up! (1 Viewer)

Kevin Reckelhoff

Stunt Coordinator
I'm out of inputs on my 3802, and now I'm trying to fit an Xbox into the picture. Here are the components I have, along with the needed connections:

DVD (componenent video, digital coax, analog audio)
VCR (S-video, analog audio)
Digital Cable (Composite video, analog audio)
Laserdisc (Composite video, digital optical, analog audio)
Cassette player (Analog audio)
CD player/changer (Digital optical, analog audio)
Gamecube (Component video, analog audio)
*X-box (Component video, digital optical)

The 3802 has the following inputs (current use in parens):
Two Component in (DVD/Gamecube)
Five AV inputs (DVD analog audio, LD analog audio/video, Cable audio/video, VCR audio/video, Gamecube audio)
Three Audio-only inputs (CD audio, Cassette audio, Phono unused)
Three optical digital/one coax digital (LD audio, CD audio, DVD audio on coax).

I'm going to use a passive AV splitter for the Xbox/Gamecube component video. How do I get the audio to work? The last optical input is shared with the coax input. Can I use the coax for dvd and the optical for the xbox, assuming they don't operate at the same time? Do I actually need both digital and analog audio connections for the DVD/LD/CD?

Anyone have better suggestions for how to do this? Manually switching between components is not preferred, as the back of the receiver is pretty inacessible.

Thanks,
kevin

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Anyone have better suggestions for how to do this? Manually switching between components is not preferred, as the back of the receiver is pretty inacessible.
May I suggest getting an s-video switch box for the consoles and feed the video signal and audio of the Gamecube through the switch box to one of the AV inputs on the 3802. Then connect the X-Box's digital audio to one of the 3802's digital inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks