Frustrated new HT owner HELP!, Studio 20's anemic bass

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Salvador, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

Receiver = Denon 3802

Speakers = 1 pair of Paradigm Reference Studio 20's

I spent a lot of time and money to build IMO the best receiver, speaker combination that would suit my needs. When i first hooked up my 3802 and studio 20's to my computer through the EXT in connection, i listened to it and noticed that there was an extreme lack of bass. Triple checked all the connections to see if any polarity reversal happened, but everything was fine. So ok, might be the burn-in period. Well, its been running for about 15 hours now, clarity improved but the bass is still not there. I also checked the settings in my receiver, my front speakers were already set to large, sub was turned off and all the other speakers were turned off. I also upgraded the analog connection to an optical one but not much difference there.

I've had these things for 3 days now and am severely disappointed. I bought the studio 20's because they offered the best bass/clarity combination out of all the speakers i auditioned. Now the bass just isn't present like what i heard in the two stores that i auditioned it in.

I'm just speculating here but could the wires i use be the cause? THe speakers aren't biwired and the wires i am using are Audio Spec high definition 16 gauge cable (both about 14 feet in length) with audio spec LB Five gold banana plugs.

I know these speakers could pump out much more bass than they are pumping out now and i want to know how to unleash this. I'm going nuts now since my expectations for this speaker/receiver combination was so high.

if anyone could please help, thanks.

Salvador

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Have you tried to isolate the problem by wiring the 20's directly to your 3802 and taking the computer out of the loop? Running any type of external speakers through a home PC is definately NOT my forte, so I have no advice there, but I have a pair of Studio 20's with very meager wire hooked up to a 20 year old receiver and the bass I'm getting could be something described as no less than prodigious for speakers of this size. You definately have an errant connection somewhere.

How are the speakers wired? If you have the speaker wire connected to the top inputs and the jumper chord is not attached, you won't get any lows at all. Make sure if you are NOT bi-wiring these speakers that you attach the wire to either the top or the bottom connections and make sure the jumper pin is there. If it's not (or it's loose) you won't get any lows (or highs, depending on what set of binding posts you wire them to).

Just a suggestion.

3. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

i'm pretty sure that the connection to my computer is correct. I don't have the 20's biwired but i'm going to double check on the on the jumper pin to see if it is secured properly.

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Mine came loose once (from the highs) and all I got were lows. Thought I blew my tweeters until I saw the pin hanging off the top binding post. Otherwise, I can't figure it out.

5. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

ok, after taking out those infernal Audio spec banana plugs, the bass that i was expecting returned. Turns out those banana plugs have something wrong in them. I took great care in connecting those plugs to the wires and made sure that there was good contact. I'll have a word with my dealer on this.

Thanks evans, now i'll be able to finally enjoy this investment. I'll probably change the wire to since they are also audio spec.