1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

SoCal SVS help needed!!!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tom Tubbiola, May 26, 2004.

1. Tom Tubbiola

Tom Tubbiola Stunt Coordinator

We just received our new CS Ultra with the Samson 1000 watt amp. Hooked it up tonight and didn't get much of anything out of it. In fact, the little 10" self powered Jamo sub we have was kicking ass all over the SVS. I know something is not right here.

The setup is running through a Panasonic XR-45 right now. I have a Denon 3802 which I will be hooking up this weekend. We were playing some hip hop music and looking for punch. Nothing coming.

I don't have an SPL meter or the Avia disk yet but I'm thinking I should still hear some decent bass. Based on everything I have read here over the last 2 years I recommended it to my brother without ever hearing one.

I will get measurements of the room and everything over the next two days. If anyone in Orange County can give me any pointers or maybe let me hear your setup so I know what I should be getting I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Tom,

First things first: double check all your connections. You can sweare you've got it right before you notice you wired the sub out of phase, or have the amp's gain at zero, or have the RCA cable plugged into the wrong place.

And of course, email techsupport@svsubwoofers.com.

-Robb

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

There is possibly a voltage/impedence mismatch between the Panny and the S1000. While the vast majority of pre/pros work fine with the S1000, a few simply don't generate enough juice to power the S1000 to full ouput.

Other possible things to check:

- DVD player set to bitstream.
    - All dynamic range control circuits off in DVD and pre/pro.
    - All bass limiters off in pre/pro.
    - LFE channel (".1") level set to max (i.e., unattenuated level) in pre/pro.

4. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

Another thing too, is you might not be used to "good/flat" bass response. [​IMG]

It might not seem like the sub is doing much of anything in that respect. When I listen to music I can't tell the sub is on at ALL, only way to know is I can feel the slight vibration to it. I love it that way as it is only adding sound that it should.

Best way to do it is throw in a known bass DVD and watch it and see if the whole room shakes. Then you know it's working! [​IMG]

5. Tom Tubbiola

It looks like I have just a few things to do on this holiday weekend. [​IMG]

Dave, so are you saying the SVS might have been a bad choice if we're looking for chest thumping, club-type bass response?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Tom

6. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Tom,

You would need a closet full for those Jamo subs to beat the CS-Ultra if it's set up right.

Get Avia, an SPL meter and please look over the SVS manual.

Immediately check your subwoofer level control on the 3802. It might need to be much higher than it is to drive the Samson with enough voltage. Also, the Samson MUST be full up on its gain. Full up.

Make sure you have all speakers set to SMALL, LFE ONLY to the sub (not mains too) and dial things in with that meter. If you are not able to (almost literally) knock that old subwoofer on its side, something is wrong.

The CS-Ultra is all about "chest pounding" when it's called for by the disk. It will have far far more deep bass to even out the 40Hz you are probably used to hearing though so even when things are dialed in, give it some time.

Ron

7. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

One test you can do is to listen to music and switch the sub on and off. If you can't tell much of a difference then it is a setup problem. What I like about my SVS is that it doesn't generate that rubbery disco plonk.

8. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    Hey Tom,
    Sorry I can't really offer any new advice that hasn't already been suggested, but I live in Costa Mesa myself and you just purchased one of the two subs i've been DYING to get a listen to. For me it has been between the PC-Ultra, and the CS-Ultra. I think I'm still going to go for the PC, but if you ever decide to let people come in and listen to your sub...PLEEEEEEEEEEASE keep me in mind [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] THANKS!!!

-Johnal

9. Tom Tubbiola

Johnal,

If I can get it connected correctly I'd be happy to demo it for you.

Tom

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi Tom,

Be sure to address all the above.

What do you have the gain set to on your Samson?
    What size room are you in?

Does SVS send the Samson pre-set for normal use. (Settings on the back)

11. Tom Tubbiola

Steve,

Per Ron I will run the Samson with the gain wide open.

The room is about 25 x 20 with 9 foot ceilings. It's a tile floor.

The Samson is set to stereo operation. We're only using one channel.

Tom

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Wide- Ok great.

Do you have the filters disabled on the back of the Samson?

Do you have your LFE pad set to maximum on your receiver? Not your gain but your LFE .1 output.

Do you have Bitstream enabled on your DVD player?

One step at a time.

13. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    So Tom, you get the problem fixed?

-Johnal

14. Tom Tubbiola

The sub performed much better when paired with the Denon (a 3805 instead of the 3802). My brother actually ended up using it in his bedroom system.

It's a pretty nice system.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Tom