Denon 3802 setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Beck, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Paul Beck

Paul Beck Agent

Having read a lot of reviews of this receiver, in an arogant mood felt that it would be a breeze to set up. There was one small problem with getting the cursor to move when I went into the setup mode, but found that you need to enter the "amp" in order to enter the proper setup node. This by pressing the button marked "reviever' three times to get into that mode.
    Most of my system consisting of a satellite HDTV, LD player, Videotape player, audiotape player, are going just fime.
    However, I have read the manual twice and still cannot get the two DVD players hooked to the component inputs to work even though I just replaced an amp with the same equipment where everything worked.
    Anyone know how I get the component outputs to work properly? I have the same cables used before to the same TV's component input - no change at all except the Denon.
    I can't seem to find anything in the manual about this. The diagrams are followed exactly.
    Appreciate any help.

2. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Most of us go direct on video, except for the cable needed to program the beast. So, I have never used the component inputs. My Hitachi has two independent component inputs. It sounds like an input programming/setup problem in the setup menu. I have to go to work, but I will check my manual later.[​IMG]

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Paul: I'm one of those that feel that the 3802 is pretty easy to set up. But I completely agree that the remote is THE weakest link in the chain...

You don't quite give enough info for me to quite figure out why the component video's not working. But I'll point out that the 3802 does not convert video formats. So, anything input as S-Video stays as S-Video and only is visible from the S-Video monitor output. The same for the composite and component. So if you've been setting things up on the menu using composite or S-Video, any component inputs will not work.

It's also worth pointing out that the Denon menu is NOT visible when using the component monitor output. This is not that uncommon with most component capable receivers. So, what users need to do is set everything up using the composite or S-Video and then switch the TV to the component inputs and run the component capable sources.

I hope this is of some value to you.

4. Paul Beck

Paul Beck Agent

Thanks for your help.
    That remote is really a strange monster, and I kept pushing wrong buttons for entries.
    Turns out you always heed to press the button marked 'reveiver' to get almost anything to work on this remote. It is truly the only bad thing. Otherwise it is not hard to setup. But all of you may feel the same bit of crisis when you have gone over and over, reading the manual, etc, and your new toy doesn't seem to go right.
    It turns out that my good old component monster cable was at fault. I have had this happen once before with their cables - it worked fine until I had to remove it and place it on another component - then it's weak link appeared - there was a small break in the connector to wire which was causing the problem. I had to replace the cable, and my dealer was kind enough to give me a free replacement.
    Thanks for your replies.

5. Paul Beck

Paul Beck Agent

Sorry about misspelled words in my post above - did not look before posting.