What's new

Dempsey and Makepeace (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I was about to get rid of my off-air records of the show from when it originally ran and I checked the internet to see if there were edits. Apparently, UK releases were snipped here and there to tone down the violence but the Portugal releases were uncut. Of course, we Americans love our guns and violence, so when it ran on TV here, all of that stuff is in. Anybody here have any info about this?

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
The UK releases were mastered from toned down daytime tv repeat versions by mistake which is an unusual error for Network .

Even more unusual is why this usually conscientious company have not corrected their error after all these years

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
You are correct Neil. The UK release by Network has edited versions.

The original UK showings were uncut of course, but when it was repeated in an early afternoon slot some of the more violent scenes were edited out as the powers that be, felt it might be too much for the OAP's & children who make up the bulk of the daytime audience,also certain rules apply here about what can be shown before the 9pm watershed (after which anything goes !)

Unfortunately these edited prints were the ones used by Network for the DVD. Don't know about the Portuguese or Australian releases.

There was a similar problem with the long running 'Bergerac' series with John Nettles.However, after many complaints the uncut versions were used when it was re-released as a complete series boxset.

I know nowadays, that on series like Midsomer Murders they actually film two versions of the gorier or more violent scenes ,one of which is toned down specifically for 'daytime viewing'.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Dempsey and Makepeace was repeated at 5pm by Granada + then again the following morning. As they did with The Professionals when that show finally returned to tv after years of Shaw blocking it.

Unfortunately for the latter show the content that made it memorable and controversial was all cut out and some episodes not shown at all - same fate as The Sweeney and its the same even today with the repeats on ITV4

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks