Dempsey and Makepeace on DVD, Who owns the rights?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Craig: Mclaren, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

Contender Entertainment group did a decent job with The Professionals and Network Entertainment did the biz with Robin of Sherwood and look to continue the good work with The Sweeney. How about popular mid 80's UK cop show Dempsey and Makepeace? Anybody heard anything through the grapevine? Who owns the rights? [​IMG]

2. Rob Pritchard

Craig: Mclaren wrote:

3. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

I phoned Contender entertainent a few weeks ago regarding a replacement disc and asked about the quality of the Proffesionals DVD's. He was very honest and said

1. They aren't a massive company and the budget for the release wasn't great
    2. They could have fully remastered all the episodes of the 1st series but it would have eaten the entire budget and made it unlikely that series 2-4 would have been released unless the 1st series sale figures where very impressive (which it turned out they where!)
    3. They made an exective decision to go with a cheap clean up and release all four series in the space of six months.

The picture and sound quality could have been so much better but at least they released them. The packaging was cool and the booklet with each series was well researched and very interesting. A couple of nice extras thrown in too. The sets are watchable and after a while the sheer quality of the show makes you forget the picture/sound quality. i'd stand by my comments saying they done a decent job. At least they put a little effort into the sets. many bigger companies with higher budgets don't even do that so thumbs up to the Contender chaps [​IMG]

I'd like to see Network release Dempsey and Makepeace and every other UK show. There certainly ahead of the pack.
    Roll on The Sweeney! [​IMG]