English E-tailers who have Dempsey & Makepeace in region 2?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Deb Walsh, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Deb Walsh

Deb Walsh Stunt Coordinator

I found out through an eBay auction that this show had been released on DVD in Portugal (first season so far). I've been trying to find a Portugese e-tailer who will ship to the US with reasonable postage. I found one site, blueplanet.dvd, that has an English language version of their site, but when I went to check out, the postage soared to 50 Euros. That's awfully steep, considering the postage can't possibly be that high for a three-disc set, especially since their table of postage costs lists 8 Euros per disc.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for either Portugese e-tailers who have English versions and reasonable postage, or other e-tailers who are carrying this set? I've ordered from France, Germany, UK, Iceland and Japan, but this is the first time I've tried to find something in Portugal.

2. Miguel M Santos

Miguel M Santos Stunt Coordinator

Miguel M Santos
    You can try the portuguese FNAC, but I think their website is in portuguese only. Most of the portuguese e-tailers don't have an english version of their website as far as I am aware. If I find something I'll post it here.

It is very likely that you'll see the remaining series come out there as they have been putting lots of TV shows out, and D&M was quite successful in Portugal when I was a kid.

3. Jools_S

Jools_S Agent

As far as I know, it isn't slated for release in the UK yet.

I'd say the best bet is to check the forum for The Mausoleum Club.

They usually know what's going on.

4. Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor Stunt Coordinator

What about doing a co-buy with someone else? That will split the shipping. Or EBaying the other sets?

Some European shipping charges are very very high because they use couriers and offer no air mail option. The good thing though is there tends to be a high limit of DVDs you can get for the flat fee shipping charge.

www.somlivre.pt sell it

The only other Portuguese site I know is www.dvdportugal.com No sign of it there. Try emailing them.

Buying import DVDs can be expensive but I always pay. Like I said buy a couple of sets and sell them on and that'll probably pay for everything getting you free DVDs.

It's also worth remembering that Brazil (Region 4 NTSC) is Portuguese speaking and I've found all sorts of stuff their too.

www.dempseyandmakepeace.de

Good luck! [​IMG]

5. Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor Stunt Coordinator

...and please don't expect 'foreign' sites to have English language options. After all I don't see many USA sites offering a Portuguese option.

It's very easy to translate using things like http://babelfish.altavista.com

6. Deb Walsh

Deb Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the tips. The courier issue makes a lot of sense in terms of costs. I'm used to UK e-tailers who use mostly Royal Mail.

I don't tend to expect non-English-speaking countries to have tons of e-tailer sites with English versions, but I did find one - www.blueplanetdvd.com - that has an English version, but their shipping to the US is through the roof (50 Euros for a single set - and their shipping is based on number of discs rather than a flat rate). I figured if there were other Portugese sites that cater to an international audience, as BluePlanet does, an English or French version of the site might be available. Unfortunately, I can navigate a site in French or German reasonably well, but not in Portugese.

Ah well. I will keep searching. Thanks again!

7. Miguel M Santos

Miguel M Santos
    The Second Series is supposed to come out in Portugal next week, but knowing enough about portuguese distributors I'd say they can still change it.

8. Miguel M Santos

Miguel M Santos
    An update if people are still interested: series 3 has already came out in Portugal, as well as a pack with series 1 and 2.

9. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

The UK rights have been picked up by Network as part of their deal with Granada (ITV). Expect to see at least the first season released in 2005.
    They will as with most of their titles be releasing them in series sets.

Worth checking their site regularly
    http://www.networkdvd.co.uk/new_releases.htm
    Currently only have list upto May.