What's new

Strange problem: "Non-Seamless PG points" causing disc pause! Please help! (1 Viewer)

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Okay, this is weird. I recently bought Network's "Dempsey And Makepeace - Series 1" region 2 DVD set. When I played disc 1, episode 1 (the pilot movie) on my Denon DVD-2900 the picture and sound freeze for an instant (a fraction of a second, but it's annoying) at the start of chapter 12.

I tried the disc on a friend's cheaper LG player, the DA-5620, and it did exactly the same thing. I also tried a second copy of the disc and again the same thing happened.

I contacted Networkdvd and they confirmed that a "small" (*cough*) percentage of players have experienced this "pause". They explained that it's caused by a "non-seamless PG point" which was inserted in order to sync up the commentary track to the episode. They claimed that the vast majority of DVD players are unaffected but one or two have problems - unfortunately these seem to be the top of the range players and not the cheaper versions (I have proven this latter statement to be untrue).

I contacted Denon UK and they sent me the latest R2 firmware update which they suggested I "try" but they were unclear as to whether it was specifically going to fix this problem so I'm nervous about installing it in case it messes up my muti-region capability. At the moment I'm using the following firmware:

Transport - DRV 030827
MPEG Decoder - B/E 6237W
Player Logic - PANEL 0043-F

I've tried everything humanly possible to work around this problem. I even tried burning a copy of the DVD without the commentary track but the copy also pauses in the same place.

Does anybody know more about these "PG points" and how they might be removed or worked around?

Thanks,

John

John H Ross

Screenwriter

I have absolutely no idea! I don't think I've experienced them on any other title (then again the only other Network titles that I own are the Space 1999 SE set and The Ipcress File SE).

Just picked up Dempsey And Makepeace series 2 but not expecting problems with that cos there's no commentary.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks