What's new

Deep Discount DVD 20% Off Sale! (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I think they've done it three times now. I can't remember the exact dates, but it was in late 2003, June 2004, then November 2004.

So it seems to be a semi-annual thing, early summer then late fall. Unless they change it, I wouldn't expect another sale until summer.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I finally finished paying off my credit card bill for all the stuff I ordered from DDD in November. Whew! I need a DDD breather.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Seems like DDD is on a 6-month schedule on these, having them twice a year. Good thing too. Maybe, just maybe, by the time the next sale rolls around I will have finished watching all the titles I picked up during the last sale :D

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I doubt it will happen in May (but anything's possible). And I kinda doubt they will throw the sale up during the July 4th week or thereafter, so I look for something to happen in late June.

Gary "I'll be majorly bummed if DDD ever stops doing this, because I really load up twice a year from these week long sales" O.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
last year, it was the 3rd or 4th week in June.
the fall sale in 2004 started a week or two earlier than it had in 2003.

Barry.L

Auditioning
Hello, for what it's worth, last month I called DDD to cancel an order, and asked when the next "sale" is planned. The clerk said that DDD will only be doing this once a year from now on, sometme in the fall. Perhaps that's what clerks are instructed to say, or perhaps it's true :-(

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i wouldn't be surprised.
very disappointed, but not surprised.

i called and cancelled an order a couple months back and took the opportunity to ask pretty much the same thing and the CSR told me that their margins are so slim as it is, its not really worth it for them to have the sale.
the whole purpose is to get more people aware of the site, but if those new people then become "i'll just wait until the next 20% off sale" type customers, then what's the point?

and it doesn't help matters that a few of us it seems are calling up to cancel orders and then specifically asking about the 20% sales.
considering how much they have to spend on advertising during those promotions (USAToday, NY Times, etc) i wouldn't blame them for cutting back to once a year.

that said, i was withholding a lot of purchases this year in anticipation of a summer sale- i would have dropped over $400 easy- maybe its a good thing

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Darn it, Paul. You wrote exactly what I think (and fear) is going to happen. For the last couple of years, I've been one of those guys who loads up when the discount week appears. Now, in all fairness, I also buy from DDD on a regular basis thru-out the year. But there have been titles that I'm willing to wait on so I can get the extra 20% off.

It's no secret that DDD can't really make much money off the sales, and it's also true that the sales were more of an attraction for new customers than a "treat" for their existing customers. But if they discontinued the sale altogether, it would be a huge blow to a large percentage of their loyal consumer base (folks like me). I can see them cutting back to one sale per year, instead of two. I won't like it, but I can see it. But if they shut the 20% week down completely, they are going to have a lot of unhappy campers on their hands (and they would lose customers over it - count on that).

I guess we'll know for sure within the next 6 weeks (if they are going to have a summer sale it will almost assuredly happen before July).

Gary "this would be a big disappointment for me, because I've got a larger amount of titles on my wish-list now than ever before" O.

Kate*H

Agent
I don't know if this is related, but DDD just emailed me a coupon for 10% off my next purchase of $50 or more. They said they "missed me" and wanted me to come back to DDD. Did anyone else get one of these emails?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I got the same deal this past week and promptly used it on three dvd sets. The total was just over $60, so it's nothing like what they get from me when they have the 20% off sale (then my finances take hits in the hundreds every time - as in $300 here or $400 there).

Gary "the timing of that little 'treat' from DDD is very strange, and I have no idea why they sent one to me. I do business with them on at least a bi-monthly basis, if not monthly basis" O.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I got one of those coupons too, and used it.

I thought maybe it was to make up for the results of the shipping survey they sent me. At the time I got the questonairre, I actually had to wait almost a week since the "last item ordered" hadn't arrived yet. That happened to be the slowest it ever was. Took almost 2 weeks I believe.

I don't think they've changed their shipping methods because they're still fairly slow for me, but they don't always take 2 days to ship it out, like they had been doing for a long while.

If the 20% off sales disappear I do hope they make up for it by speeding up the shipping. I pre-order new releases and am lucky to get them by the end of the week FOLLOWING the release week.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Damn, I wish I got one of those 10% off coupons. I'd be happy to use it.

...still holding out hope for another summer 20% off sale. Already have a bunch of stuff in my wishlist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks