What's new

Deep Discount DVD 20% Off Sale! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

same here.
i would be happy to order a good portion of the titles in my wishlist at a 10% discount, rather than wait until fall, or get them at a B&M for considerably more.
for some reason they didn't send me one though...

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
Ditto. There are several items on my wish list that I'd order now with a 10% discount. I wonder what the criteria were in determining who got the coupon?

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I'm wondering about the criteria too. Random? I haven't placed an order in a while, but apparently they haven't really missed me :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...they probably figure if Best Buy is never gonna send me coupons...or give me a free renewal of my Reward Zone account...then they (DDD) don't need to send me anything either! :D

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
I'm not using my 10% off coupon, so if anyone wants it, PM me. Only one, so first person wins.

EDIT: gave away already

Jerry_Wh

Grip
It would be a shame if they decided to stop doing 20% off sales. For the last two sales I've spent the prior six months making a wish-list of desirable but not "necessary" titles. When they sales come, my wish-list turns into one big impulse buy.

But, if it were not for the sale, I would have no plans at all of purchasing those titles - from DDD or anywhere else. I know a couple of other guys who do the same, all told we probably blow $5K-$7K on each sale.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but that's the problem, you wait until the sale. They have the sale to attract new customers. They probably make very little profit (if any) when they have a 20% off sale. So that $5,000 covers the cost of the DVDs for them and they don't make a profit.

That being said, I totally understand why you wait until the sale:)

BernieV

Stunt Coordinator
Same here. I've got 30-40 titles sitting in my wish list that were specifically there for the sale. If it doesn't happen, I'll probably drop them.

I can see it from DDD's point of view, though. If the profit margin is too low, and they aren't attracting enough new customers, why continue?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I find my dvd purchases fall into 3 categories. There are the absolute must purchases where DDD gets pre-orders from me and I don't worry in the least about the 20%.

Then there are the DVDs like those some of you described above. I put them on my wish list and will usually find myself buying them during the sale. So DDD definitely collects some money from me on these buys that I usually wouldn't make.

But there's that third category where the dvd in question is one I plan to eventually purchase, but it just isn't important enough to me to buy it right away. It's not purely a "wish list", impulse, type thing. It's a title I do want, but am willing to wait until the sale to buy it. And here's the rub. If I know DDD isn't going to offer the 20% off again, I will look to other online sources to find the best price, instead of being fiercely loyal to Deep Discount DVD only.

Basically, because of the 20% off sale, I buy almost exclusively from DDD. Not just during the sale, but throughout the year. It isn't a stretch to say they receive an order from me on a monthly basis. And although there are times when Amazon or another outlet actually beats their price, I've never contacted DDD to try and get a match (even though I know they will match prices). I just order from them without worrying about the price match. But that's just me.

I'm not gonna lie. I'll be very disappointed if June comes and goes and there isn't a sale. I'll be very, very disappointed if 2005 comes and goes and there isn't a sale.

Gary "I too understand DDD's purpose for the sale is to generate new business, but it is a nice treat for loyal customers as well" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Travis, it's funny you should mention that. After I posted, I thought of exactly the same thing. Perhaps DDD could reward their loyal customers based on how much those customers had purchased recently. For instance, if they purchased $200 worth of DVDs in the last 6 months, they would be eligible for up to $200 worth of the 20% off sale. If they purchased $1000 worth, then they could buy up to $1000 worth with the 20% off coupon. And so on.

This way folks couldn't simply put everything on their wish list and only buy from DDD twice a year (during the sale). The incentive would be to purchase from them year around and be rewarded based on how regularly you shopped with them and how much you spent since the last sale.

Gary "I'd be more than happy with that setup" O.

Jerry_Wh

Grip
> Yeah but that's the problem, you wait until the sale.

But I'm not "waiting" because if there were no sale, I would never buy them. In otherwords SOMEBODY has to significantly discount the titles on my wishlist before I'll purchase them.

That is different from delaying the purchase until there is a sale because that implies that without a sale I would buy them anyway.

Meanwhile, one thing DDD needs to do if they want to encourage more "regular" purchases is to not screw you on pre-orders.

If you make a pre-order and then the price decreases during the first week of release, as is very common, DDD has a policy that they will neither automatically reduce your pre-order price nor adjust it after the DVD ships. When I found out about that, I cancelled every single pre-order I had.

That's such a dumb policy on their part. If they are going to make me check the price on the week of release, I might as well not even order it until the week of release in case it turns out to be cheaper somewhere else.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I shop from them regularly as well. I also find it a bit of a slap in the face that they've never sent me any of those 10% off member e-mails. I've spent a fair share of dough on them in the past and it'd be nice to get some kind of small reward.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
They've sent me a second email to let them know when I received my latest order, supposedly so they can evaluate their shipping methods.

Ironically, it's the second time I've gotten one while still waiting for my last order. I'd pre-ordered the Mask, maybe only a day or 2 before release date though. It shipped 2 days after release date(May 26), and I still don't have it. I don't know what happened to them; I remember when I could order something at the beginning of the week and have it by the end of the week. It really does take the full 10 BUSINESS days in the mail more often than not. That's why I don't price match too often. If I can find it online cheaper somewhere else, pretty much everyone is faster. And, it takes a couple days to get your price-match, and if it's significant you have to call it in. They should keep their 20% off sales to keep customers, or else completely re-vamp their shipping methods. The free shipping is nice, but I'd rather pay a buck more and actually get the movie in a couple days.

The only good thing about their shipping is my DVD's are often a pleasant surprise because by the time I get them I forgot I ordered them. If I'm not careful, one day I'll end up buying them in a B&M while they're still in the mail.:)

I hope they're not done with their quality assurance program by the time I can tell them when I received my order. I really want them to know how long it took.

EDIT: I actually placed my order May 16th (just checked on the site.) Was The Mask released on the 17th or 24th? Time to check the old round
ups. It was the 17th! No wonder it seems like forever. It must have been backordered AND it's taking forever in the mail.:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, we should know whether or not they are going to have a Summer Sale within the next 3 to 4 weeks. If it doesn't happen before the week of July 4th, I can't see it happening at all this summer.

Gary "I can't tell you how bummed I'm going to be if they don't have a sale in June this year" O.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Stop... bumping... this... thread! :angry:

People keep posting in here, and then I see it, and I think, ooh, ooh, could it be, maybe, possibly, IT has started? Then, of course, I come in to verify the happy happy joy joy and it's just some joker speculating or babbling on and on about some kind of nons--

Oh,er, wait..... :b

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks