What's new

DEAR FOX... (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I am sure that The Gunfighter is among your most requested catalog titles for release and is probably in the works for some sort of deluxe packaging in the not too distant future, however...

I would just like to urge that when you do finally put this great western out on DVD, that you consider including as a bonus, the equally fantastic 1957 Sam Peckinpah-directed television adaptation, "End Of A Gun", (starring Richard Conte) as an extra.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0501911/

It would be the perfect compliment to a really thoughtful and well packaged released!

Thank you for reading this and I hope you strongly consider it. The 20th Century-Fox Hour broadcasts on FMC attest to the fact that the transfer is already in fabulous shape and therefore would make for a low-cost and high entertainment value supplement.

Thanks.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Yes I know, and great cover art too! (hint, hint)

But the point of this thread is to ask the studio to consider releasing the great Sam Peckinpah directed made-for-TV film along side it as a supplement or extra disc, when it eventually gets released here.

I'm sure this will not remain exclusive to France... it will eventually get released in R1 as well.

When that happens, I would like to see this TV movie released as well on a second disc. Just like Universal did with Double Indemnity. (The only difference being that this is actually a great film and that completely stunk and was entirely unwatchable!)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone actually know what Fox plans are for The Gunfighter and why it hasn't been released to DVD yet?

They've been absolutely terrific with their classic film holdings lately and have delivered some of the most impressive packages alongside Warner Bros. yet this major film still lingers with no release date in sight... why is that?

Has anyone actually contacted Fox about this film? When do they plan to bring it out? I hope 2008 is the year we finally see this long overdue film get it's debut on DVD!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have asked Fox about this title numerous times over the years and have never received a good reason why one of the best westerns ever made is not on DVD. It not being released on DVD is one of my biggest disappointments in collecting films onto video media. This film is so good that it should be given a Criterion release with all the trimmings.

Crawdaddy

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
i've never seen this, but I'd sure give it a shot if it came out on DVD!

Pretty good pun eh? I'd give the Gunfighter a shot? Come on!

Since buying all those JOhn Ford, John Wayne Sam Peckinpaw westerns, I've been loving the genre.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
This is the film where Darryl Zanuck was sure they would've had double the revenue if Gregory Peck didn't have the moustache. :-P

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Dear Fox...
I would ask for Christmas, besides The Gunfighter dvd, the following releases for 2008:

Garden of Evil
Untamed
Rawhide
Cry of the City
Road House
The Iron Curtain
Dragonwyck
Man Hunt
Suez
Three Blind Mice
Rose of Washington Square
Hello Frisco Hello
Tin Pan Alley
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Second Honeymoon
Springtime in the Rockies
Wife, Husband and Friend
Sitting Pretty
Margie
The Great American Broadcast
Sun Valley Serenade
Johnny Apolo
The Story of Alexander Graham Bell
Thin Ice
Second Fiddle
Come to the Stable
Three Little Girls in Blue
I'll Get By
Viva Zapata
The Egyptian
Sentimental Journey
Mother Wore Tights
When My Baby smiles to me
Coney Island
Song of the Islands
Centennial Summer
Belle Star
Western Union
China Girl
Forever Amber
Star Dust
Remember the Day
Tales of Manhattan
My Gal Sal
Dreamboat
Slattery's Hurricane
Irish Eyes are Smiling
Oh you Beautiful Doll
You were meant for me
What a wonderful urge
This Above All
Meet me after the show
The Foxes of Harrow
The Fan
Father was a Fullback
Brittania Mews
Stanley and Livingstone
The Walls of Jericho
Poor Little Rich Girl
Stowaway
Sweet and Low-down
Rise and Shine
Clunny Brown
That Lady in Ermine

Is that asking too much??? LOL

Charles H

Screenwriter
Clifton Webb: SITTING PRETTY, MR. BELVEDERE RINGS THE BELL, MR. BELVEDERE GOES TO COLLEGE, FOR HEAVENS SAKE, ELOPEMENT, DREAMBOAT, STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER, THE REMARKABLE MR. PENNYPACKER, BOY ON A DOLPHIN, MR. SCOUTMASTER, A WOMAN'S WORLD, HOLIDAY FOR LOVERS.
Monty Woolley: IRISH EYES ARE SMILING, LIFE BEGINS AT 8:30, THE PIED PIPER, MOLLY AND ME, HOLY MATRIMONY.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I think THE GUNFIGHTER is the greatest film I've seen that's not on DVD. I've got a good copy from FMC until it gets an official release. They could always put it in a Peck box set since they own several of his films, which aren't on DVD yet either.

Clay_E

Second Unit
In response to MarcoBiscotti's original post, the recent re-release of Miracle on 34th Street did feature the TV remake of this movie as an extra, so there is hope. Incidentally, these and loads of other TV versions of films were shown on Fox Movie Channel as "Hour of Stars," with new hosted wraparounds by Robert Wagner. I don't believe they're shown any more, but most of them are really good, and even the bad ones are interesting historically.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I've seen this episode years back on FMC's 'Hour Of Stars' and the print seemed to be in fine shape. I understand they were all remastered and syndicated in the Fox package years back and so it would require and cost very little on the studio's part to include these as extras on releases as warranted. I'd love to see them featured, especially this one though as it's exceptionally entertaining and of interest as an early television vehicle for Peckinpah as well. It's a shame Fox Movie Channel doesn't broadcast them anymore... I never got a chance to record this one.

Corey

Screenwriter
Can we please have sets devoted to Loretta Young, Spencer Tracy, Janet Gaynor, and all those pre-codes that have been remastered?

Woman's World with June Allyson and Lauren Bacall is another film I'm anticipating.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Are you SO SURE? At this point considering Crawdaddy's post, I am NOT expecting to see it released while I'm still alive. :frowning:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, how can it not???

If anything, we'll simply have to wait for Criterion to rescue this like they did Ace In The Hole... but how can The Gunfighter simply not be released at all?!?

It's the Citizen Kane of American Westerns...

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator
The Gunfighter is now also getting a R2 release in Belgium/The Netherlands next februari.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

With catalog titles I ASSUME ABSOLUTELYNOTHING!

In any case I don't need to wait for FOX to get off their behind & release this title in R1! I have owned a R4 version for a long while. :laugh:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

In the UK Sky TV (owned by News International, owners of Fox) is currrently showing THE EGYPTIAN in a revolving pattern on one of their Movie channels. It's a superb, sharp print in what looks to be about 2.55:1. Unfortunately the sound is MONO. I hope the rumoured Fox DVD is not going to be mono as well. If so, they may as well not bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks