Dear Best Buy...

drdave319

Agent
Real Name
David E. Gillespie II
Dear Best Buy,

As an avid collector of your Steelbook packaging (for films I like), I would like to request that you stop releasing multiple versions of the same movie with different steelbook packaging.
Especially since the Star Wars movies have yet to receive their 4K Steelbook releases yet.
I would have expected individual 4K steelbooks for each Star Wars movie by now.
I've heard rumors that there will be another round of Star Wars releases which will include the original theatrical release as well as the Special Edition release all included (in 4K!) and I'm hoping that this will come in a nice Steelbook package for each individual movie.
The "Skywalker Collection" that came out was a niche product that doesn't work with steelbook collectors.

Please and thank you!

Dave

Mark VH

Second Unit
Dear Best Buy,

I've heard rumors that there will be another round of Star Wars releases which will include the original theatrical release as well as the Special Edition release all included (in 4K!) and I'm hoping that this will come in a nice Steelbook package for each individual movie.

Please and thank you!

Dave
Erm...where did you hear this rumor?

drdave319

Agent
Real Name
David E. Gillespie II
Erm...where did you hear this rumor?

There has been talk about the original version being released for years.
Granted, there has been just as much talk about them NOT being released, too, so you never know.
Either way, the need for individual Star Wars films (in 4K!) to be released with Steelbooks in necessary.
There have been like 3 versions of Wonder Woman....Justice League....Aquaman......!

Dave

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I've heard rumors that there will be another round of Star Wars releases which will include the original theatrical release
LOL.

I just hope Best Buy releases domestic steelbooks for the original trilogy with the poster art that Zavvi is releasing.

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Maybe for the original's 50th anniversary, if discs are still a thing by then.

Wayne_j

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I think George would have to be dead for the original to be released at this point.

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Even after Lucas is gone, the original A New Hope is highly unlikely to be released, sad to say. I would have liked to own this film on BluRay, but I have a bunch of other stuff to occupy my time.

Keith Cobby

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Of course what those of us who watched the films theatrically on release want are these originals to appear on UHD. But i simply refuse to buy any discs which do not refer to the first film as Star Wars. Whatever is said, George Lucas did not start with number 4 and i think this is revisionist history. He simply made a space opera and hoped to cover his costs. Obviously the initial success enabled him to go back and forwards changing things as he wished. This has gone too far for his pride to allow him to release what the fans most want. After his death, who knows.

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
Whatever is said, George Lucas did not start with number 4 and i think this is revisionist history.
The huge and heavy “The Making of Star Wars” book goes into this, showing dated notes by Lucas which outline a multi-episode saga. I can’t remember all the details verbatim but I remember he went through a few different spots where the “first” movie (the one he was making first) would go. I think the very first draft (or treatment of whatever) did have it labeled “Episode I”, but was mostly thereafter pushed to a later number. I think there’s some quotes in there saying he couldn’t decide whether the original film would be Episode III or IV, before finally settling on IV.

It’s a very good book and quite exhaustive in its research so I’ve never had any reason to doubt it.

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The huge and heavy “The Making of Star Wars” book goes into this, showing dated notes by Lucas which outline a multi-episode saga. I can’t remember all the details verbatim but I remember he went through a few different spots where the “first” movie (the one he was making first) would go. I think the very first draft (or treatment of whatever) did have it labeled “Episode I”, but was mostly thereafter pushed to a later number. I think there’s some quotes in there saying he couldn’t decide whether the original film would be Episode III or IV, before finally settling on IV.

It’s a very good book and quite exhaustive in its research so I’ve never had any reason to doubt it.
The 'Making of' books are good, but they're also Lucasfilm approved, so you find find anything in them that goes against the official story. 'Jedi' especially downplays the behind-the-scenes conflicts on that movie.