What's new

dd/dts decoder (1 Viewer)

Does the dd/dts decoders in players like the sony dvp-ns500 or the panasonic dvd-rv60k really make that big of a difference?I'm deciding now that i want to keep my reciever,the only reason i wanted to get rid of it in the first place was to get dts for once. Besides im getting sick of my dvd player,so it will give me a chance to kill two birds with one stone,that way i can use the left over money to buy a velodyne subwoofer or something.

Andrew Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if your reciever has a built-in DD and DTS decoder, the decoder in the DVD player will most likely never be used.

well i have a dolby digital only reciever,but i want dts and a new dvd player.what im wondering is if the dvd player's decoder would sound really good,or would i be better of getting a new reciever?I really don't want to give up my reciever,because in this price range of 300 dollars i dont think i can do better than what i have.

Andrew Beck

Stunt Coordinator
well, to use the DTS decoder in the DVD player you would need 6 analog inputs on your reciever, do you have those?

Yes i know that,and i do have those.I'm just worried that its not going to sound as good,because its going through the digital to analog conversion phase through the dvd player as opposed through the reciever. I'm also worried that its not going to have the same dynamics going through the dvd players decoder.thanks for your help by the way.

Andrew Beck

Stunt Coordinator
It will sound good, but make sure it has some sort of Bass Management. Most recievers don't apply bass management to their analog inputs. If you have all bookshelf speakers that will be set to small this may not be a problem though.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I'm not so sure it will be to your satisfaction, since you specifically mention dynamics. I have been using the built-in decoder in my JVC XV723. The basic setting is called, "5.1", and sounds OK. The problem is, if you go into the "Expert" mode and select small for the center channel, or as is my case indicate no sub, then the center channel loses all dynamics. To get any punch out of the center channel, I have to just run the "5.1" setting. But in that setting, the unit thinks I have a sub, which I don't. I posted a question on this here several months ago, and somebody from Dolby seemed to confirm that my impression was correct.

Now, I just got a Panny RP91 with built-in DD and DTS decoders, and the center channel seems to be much stronger, after selecting "no sub" and leaving the center speaker set to "large"(PSB Image 9C).

Anyway, there are much smarter people on this board than me, so maybe they know which DVD player has the best built-in decoders. Those in the RP91 seem really good to me, especially the DTS.

BruceD

Screenwriter
It depends what the decoder does with the re-directed bass (from any speakers set to small) and LFE or .1 bass.

1) If SUB=NO in the DVD decoder's setup, some decoders will re-direct all bass from small speakers and LFE to the main L&R.

2) If SUB=NO in the DVD decoder's setup, some decoders may simply throw away some or all bass from small speakers and LFE.

I don't have a list of which do what, but this may explain the weak sound you get when setting center to small without a sub (it throws away the bass).

BruceD

Well the good thing is with the money im saving by buying a dvd player with a built in decoder,i will be able to buy a sub with the left over money.So i think it will be no problem for me. I know there are alot of people on here that have the milly dts decoder,and they seem to like it so there must not be any problem with using an external decoder. I can always return it if i dont like it, plus i would really like to get something that plays dvd-audio or sacd. So i think i will go with the panasonic dvd-ra60k.thanks for all your guy's help with these questions.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I have to just run the "5.1" setting. But in that setting, the unit thinks I have a sub, which I don't
i guess dvd players are different, but in my sony 560d, i can configure the decoder to "no sub", the run the 5.1 output to my receiver. the lfe is mixed into the left/right channel.
since the 5.1 inputs on my receiver are just "bypass" there's no issue with the sub and lfe's anymore.
at least i think that's how it works? someone please correct me if i'm totally whack! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks