What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Great Dolby Atmos Scenes (1 Viewer)

Dave>h

Second Unit
Hi all,

I am looking for some great stand out Dolby Atmos scenes that show off Dolby Atmos. I am looking for scenes where the sound is substantially different or enhanced from the typical DTS-HD or DD Master Audio track.

I recently picked up a copy (good god how many versions of this film have I bought?!?!?!) of the Fifth Element remastered in Dolby Atmos from the bargain bin at BB and compared the scene where The Fifth Element is "reborn" and escapes with Corben in his Taxi. When comparing the original blu ray with the Atmos track (admittedly not a side by side comparison, switched dics out etc), I definitely felt more immersed in the scene in the Atmos track but I can't say I noticed anything specifically flying overhead or panning from ceiling to floor or vice versa even though there certainly were elements in that scene that would call for it.

I have a Yamaha RX V1083 (i think) and run a Paradigm 5.1.2 set up which has been calibrated with the YPAO from Yamaha using multiple locations as reference so I am pretty comfortable that the system is properly calibrated.

Anyone have any Atmos "ah ha" moments they would like to share?

I don't have UHD only Blu ray but I assume (maybe wrongly?) that the Atmos track on a UHD and a blu ray would be identical. I run my Atmos disks through my xbox one as it is the only player that decodes Atmos.

Thanks for sharing!!

Kip

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I really enjoyed Ron Howard's In the Heart of the Seas with moby dick author in the real story. There's a scene of the whale hunters in a small boat with the giant whale there and it's crazy how good that is. I blew it and accidentally watched it without atmos turned on.!! 1 grrRRrr but went back and watched that scene all over and it was just jawdropping! The film is waaaaaay underrated I think. Perfect? no. but worth picking up. You can get the all region Steelbook 3D/atmos version from Findland. The regular 2D version has atmos too. But 3D with Atmos is it! Wish Gravity had this 3D/Atmos combo but they were just dumbheads when that came out.

Tree of Life, can't be sure if it's Atmos, but the sound throughout is wonderful. I like rainy movies anyway, but that one just kills it! It feels like an umbrella but I think that's just all in my mind while watching.

Pacific Rim has incredible ATMOS sound and 3D as well from what I remember.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I was very impressed with the Atmos mix on A Quiet Place, especially the scene with Emily Blunt in the basement of the house listening to the creature scampering around on the main floor above.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Too numerous to mention.

Almost any recent film with Atmos sounds amazing.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I will also mention Hacksaw Ridge . The main battle scene makes Saving Private Ryan sound pretty second rate.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
For Dolby Atmos audio that has subtle nuances ... its a polarizing film, personally I find it one of the best of 2017 would be mother

The audio of creaking in the house and people walking around circulates and from above... the film has no score so the whole film is the just the environment. Always a sense of unease.

Dave>h

Second Unit
WOW!! Some great recommendations here. Thank you all for your responses!! I don't own one of the movies suggested, which is really great and the suggestions are all EXACTLY what I am looking for.

By way of example, for anyone else who may want to chime in but aren't sure what I am trying to find, one of my favorite HT moments is in "Master and Commander" when they go inside the ship down to the lower deck and you can hear someone walking on the deck above and you hear hammocks swinging all around you and men coughing etc. That scene to me is the epitome of sound design and why I love HT. I only own the DVD of that movie and I continue to use the scene as one of my "reference" scenes. It isn't bombastic but it uses sound design to create an atmosphere.

Yes, there are tons of great bombastic enthralling immersive Atmos soundtracks and yes, they are fantastic but I am looking for something slightly different and several comments above are exactly what I am looking for: where 3d sound is used to create an enhancement to the experience.

When we moved from DVD to Blu ray (or HD DVD and then Blu ray in my case) I was somewhat disappointed with the sound. Dolby True HD and DTS MA sound great but they aren't night and day improvements over DTS and DD, IMHO. I am sure there are many who may disagree with that statement but 5.1 is 5.1 and more bits makes it clearer but it doesn't change the nature of the experience.

Dolby Atmos has the opportunity to change the nature of the experience and I am looking for examples of that to share with the community.

Thanks for everyone's contributions to the cause!

Kip

Last edited:

Dave>h

Second Unit
War for the planet of the apes final battle is hands down the best Atmos demo.

One I own. Didn't realize it was in Atmos although I think I watched it prior to the new amplifier which was prior to my having Atmos capability. I will have to revisit that film even though i was initially quite disappointed with it. Not because of the sound but I found some of the CGI to be off putting...

Home now and as I suspected, War for the Planet of the Apes, at least on my Blu ray is only DTS MA (not a bad thing but not Atmos). I guess you have 4 k edition Sam.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Kip

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Count me as a johnny-come-lately newcomer to Atmos. So I went in search of a thread just like this one as I wait for my new gear to be delivered!

By way of example, for anyone else who may want to chime in but aren't sure what I am trying to find, one of my favorite HT moments is in "Master and Commander" when they go inside the ship down to the lower deck and you can hear someone walking on the deck above and you hear hammocks swinging all around you and men coughing etc. That scene to me is the epitome of sound design and why I love HT. I only own the DVD of that movie and I continue to use the scene as one of my "reference" scenes. It isn't bombastic but it uses sound design to create an atmosphere.

This. Master & Commander has always been my go-to disc to show off an enveloping soundstage. I recommend those who have posted here to get the Blu of M&C for the lossless audio track. You won't be disappointed.

The audio side of the HT hobby has always been my favorite part of the equation. So this ability to advance to Atmos has me quite excited and I am looking forward to trying out some of the titles recommended here. A Quiet Place sounds like it will fit the bill perfectly. I also have the 4k release of Hacksaw Ridge. Unfortunately, I don't have the 4k of War for the Planet of the Apes (that one I haven't watched yet)...I just have the Blu.

But I do have the 4 Toy Story films and wager Pixar probably knows what its doing in terms of utilizing Atmos capabilities. I should put together a list of the titles in my collection with Atmos tracks.

Thanks to Kip for creating the thread! And if anyone wants to add other suggestions, you've got a new set of eyes on this! :D

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
You wouldn't expect it at first, but Netflix's 4K ROMA stream has possibly the most consistently superb Atmos track of any feature I've heard . It's all the more impressive as it doesn't rely on any bombastic sound effects or action scenes.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Any discs with the Atmos "demo" reel at the beginning before the movie? You know, the 30 second or so atmos logo with the clicks and whirrs running around everywhere? I know I've seen this several times before owning an Atmos system, but now that I do, I'll be damned if I can remember where they were.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
TOY STORY 4 has, by far, one of the best Atmos tracks mixed, to date, and is probably the best visual representation of how far the boundaries have been pushed with Dolby Vision.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Any discs with the Atmos "demo" reel at the beginning before the movie? You know, the 30 second or so atmos logo with the clicks and whirrs running around everywhere?

I love that thing Jeff! Even though I haven't had Atmos. It'll be one of the first things I do when my new gear is in place.

One of the things I need to do is videotape my young pup, Pete, when that thing kicks in. He cocks his head from side to side...much like Nipper--the RCA Victor dog at the Victrola!

His_Master%27s_Voice.jpg

Little known fact...the world's largest Nipper resides atop an old RTA building in Albany, NY! He's 28 feet tall.

gallery_medium.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
This. Master & Commander has always been my go-to disc to show off an enveloping soundstage. I recommend those who have posted here to get the Blu of M&C for the lossless audio track. You won't be disappointed.
The enveloping part is true, but I have heard that there is a problem with the M&C Blu. Some idiot made a mistake during the mastering, resulting in a reduction of bass from what it should be.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The enveloping part is true, but I have heard that there is a problem with the M&C Blu. Some idiot made a mistake during the mastering, resulting in a reduction of bass from what it should be.

I'd love to see a 4K UHD/Atmos release of this film!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Any chase scene from Mad Max: Fury Road. Also Jupiter Ascending has some good Atmos content, though YMMV on the film itself. I love it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
TOY STORY 4 has, by far, one of the best Atmos tracks mixed, to date, and is probably the best visual representation of how far the boundaries have been pushed with Dolby Vision.
Glad I stumbled onto this thread. I ordered Spider-Man and toy story 4 on Blu-ray forgetting to check for Atmos tracks. I hate that Atmos U.S. withheld from Blu-Ray, and is only on UHD for so many movies.

in any case is too late for Spider-Man but i can change my toy story order to get the 4K Atmos disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks