What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Great Dolby Atmos Scenes (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Any discs with the Atmos "demo" reel at the beginning before the movie? You know, the 30 second or so atmos logo with the clicks and whirrs running around everywhere? I know I've seen this several times before owning an Atmos system, but now that I do, I'll be damned if I can remember where they were.

These 3 BDs that I own have the Atmos demo reel at the beginning.

ALLEGIANT
INSURGENT
EARLY MAN

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t usually notice Atmos as much in theaters that have it (bad Josh, I know), but I was really impressed by one cue early on in “Joker” which I saw last night. Early in the film, one character dreams that he’s in the audience of a taping of his favorite talk show, and dreams that the host notices him and invites him onstage. When the scene begins, the sound mix places us firmly in the audience with him; when he walks to the stage, the sound changes as he moves so that we’re placed in the perspective of the host standing in front of the crowd. It’s not an in your face action scene kinda thing but it really worked well to put us into this character’s shoes and really emphasizes how real these dreams feel to him.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just got my new Denon X6500H AVR and 4 RSL height speakers installed in the ceiling. I know I don’t have the greatest setup, but it sure is impressing me. The sound is enveloping. Little moments are impressive as creaks and twig snaps happen all around. When the sound is big, it is big and it places you in the movie.

The fist disc I put in was the 4K of Kong: Skull Island. I went right to the helicopter attack. Sound happening all around, crashes booming. Then I put in the 4K of PJ’s King Kong which has a DTS:X track which ain’t shabby at all. BTW, the video on this KK is reference. Bright, sharp, almost dimensional. Next I tried Deepwater Horizon. When the rig blows, it’s not for the faint of heart.

What other impressive sound tracks are out there? Not just Atmos, but good, like PJ’s KK. Are there any 3D discs out there with Atmos or otherwise impressive sound?

I’ve got Super 8 on blu, and I’m going to try out the train crash scene. I’ll let you know what I think.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I watched the train wreck in Super 8. It’s True HD 7.1 and not as good as DTS or Atmos, but it’s still quite impressive. This’ll movie needs a 4K release.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I’m going Atmos too. My main viewing room has a cathedral ceiling, so I thought Atmos would never work in there, but eventually I decided to ask some professional home theater installers if it was doable and they said yes. So for the last week, they have been pre-wiring and installing the ceiling speakers. Today will wrap up the dry wall repair and repainting and tomorrow will be the installation of the rest of the electronics and calibrating the room response. By tomorrow night, I will finally be Atmos enabled.

I too had been looking through this thread for suggestions of where to start. If anyone has any other great examples that haven’t been mentioned in this thread yet, please keep them coming.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Mission Impossible : Fallout - the helicopter chase near the end of the film

The new 4K Suspiria (1976 version) is a knockout ; it's a re-mix but it's great.

IT: Chapter Two is possibly even better than the mix on Part One.

Last edited:

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The most immersive Atmos soundtracks I experienced on 4K discs last year:

Godzilla
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi
Alita: Battle Angel
Glass
Hustlers

However The aforementioned Atmos track on Criterion's Roma blu-ray is thrillingly immersive - just shows you don't need a slam-bam blockbuster to make a benchmark for stunning sound design.

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
The new Criterion release of ROMA has an incredible Atmos soundtrack. Not just loud moments but quiet ones as well.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The most immersive Atmos soundtracks I experienced on 4K discs last year:

Godzilla
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi
Alita: Battle Angel
Glass
Hustlers

However The aforementioned Atmos track on Criterion's Roma blu-ray is thrillingly immersive - just shows you don't need a slam-bam blockbuster to make a benchmark for stunning sound design.
Which Godzilla?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Also, let's NOT forget one of the kings of Atmos - Mad Max Fury Road. Just make sure you turn it up to 11 when you watch it. ;)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yeah, so my wife can say turn it down.

Atmos and spousal approval don't get along too well if the other person isn't into it, but compromise is key to any relationship. Maybe negotiate one day a week when you can let that sound system rip? :)

IMO, some films, and Fury Road is a perfect example, MUST be experienced at relatively high volume to get the full impact of the sound design.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Atmos and spousal approval don't get along too well if the other person isn't into it, but compromise is key to any relationship. Maybe negotiate one day a week when you can let that sound system rip? :)

IMO, some films, and Fury Road is a perfect example, MUST be experienced at relatively high volume to get the full impact of the sound design.
I don’t have Atmos, but what I did notice in watching Fury Road is a constant low end bass throbbing throughout the film (I do have a good size subwoofer that can be both heard and felt).
I still say the video of Fury Road is as good as it gets too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PSYLNT2UHD
Recent bookmarks