What's new

Questions about sound formats, 7.1 and PCM... (1 Viewer)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I wasn't sure where to best post this question so if the moderators wish to move it to a more appropriate section of the forum then please do so.

I'm confused about DTS, DTS Master Audio, 7.1 Dolby Digital and how to receive the different formats on my receiver. I'm currently using a Sony 3D Bluray player connected via HDMI to a Pioneer SC-67 (my receiver should be able to decode all of these). While watching Star Wars Rogue One I noticed that my receiver displays PCM instead of the usual DD. All 7 channels and the sub woofer are displayed as well. Here's where I'm confused; why aren't I seeing DTS as this is the format I'm selecting on the DVD? The only changes I can make to the receiver is to turn on the THX cinema setting and then it displays "THX Cinema". It sounds great but I get the sense that I'm missing something here. Appreciate any help you can provide.

Greg

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I wasn't sure where to best post this question so if the moderators wish to move it to a more appropriate section of the forum then please do so.

I'm confused about DTS, DTS Master Audio, 7.1 Dolby Digital and how to receive the different formats on my receiver. I'm currently using a Sony 3D Bluray player connected via HDMI to a Pioneer SC-67 (my receiver should be able to decode all of these). While watching Star Wars Rogue One I noticed that my receiver displays PCM instead of the usual DD. All 7 channels and the sub woofer are displayed as well. Here's where I'm confused; why aren't I seeing DTS as this is the format I'm selecting on the DVD? The only changes I can make to the receiver is to turn on the THX cinema setting and then it displays "THX Cinema". It sounds great but I get the sense that I'm missing something here. Appreciate any help you can provide.

Greg

I understand the confusion. Most BD players have built in decoders and can decode the DD/DTS/etc and output it as PCM. Look in the settings menu of your Blu-ray player for any audio related options. I bet you have PCM selected for a few of them. Change them to whatever the other option besides PCM is. There may be a setting for DD and one for DTS. This goes back to the days when people had older receivers that may not decode DTS or DD.

Because your Pioneer is getting a PCM signal from your BD player, it won't let you select DTS or DD. THX Cinema is some additional processing, so it can overlay that on top of the PCM, that is why you can select it.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Thanks Adam,

Your post was most helpful and I am now getting "DTS-HD MSTR" displayed on my SC67. This was starting to irritate me....

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks