What's new

Confusing HD sound formats (1 Viewer)

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Hello all,

So years ago, in Jr.high I decided I loved home theater. I started building my system which I own today. Back then it was very easy to understand formats and connections. Here is my system, and Ill ask my question(s)

Denon 2802
Klipsch Ref3II mains, (soon to be RF7's) KLFC7 center, SF1 rears and a Paradigm PW2500. Sharp BD player, sony SACD, monster power center, yada yada yada. My reciever can do 6.1, it has ext in which Im using for SACD.

My pioneer plamsa plays 1080P and looks great off my bluray player sent by HDMI. For some reason, I can't get any sound from the HDMI of my sharp BD player.Any idea why? I have been threw the menus. I am currenty using toslink for sound. I am reading lots about lossless audio and high def sound movies. How do I get that? If I hook up my CD player via an optical cable, and select PCM is that lossless audio? Currently I am using a pair of analog RCA's for CD playback. As for movies, I understand that I can't get 7.1 with my old reciever, but can I get uncompressed 5.1 via optical cable? I just dont understand all these new formats, and how to get them uncompressed.

As far as I can tell, I need to have a reciever capable of playing DolbyHD, which can only be sent via HDMI. Correct?? Is that all there is too it? 7.1 recievers have been around for a long time, and now Im reading they were not discrete? "Phantom" modes and such. I hope I am making sense, and look foward to some answers. I have been searching, but each topic goes off topic lol.

matthew

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There are very few 7.1 channel dvd's out there. It's a case of hardware being well ahead of software.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Thank you for your help. My reciever does have analog inputs, but my SACD player is using them. My Blu ray player does not have pre-outs. Do you know if the Sharp Blu ray player supports 1.3? It's a piece of junk so I will prob end up replacing it anyways. I guess Ill get a reciever after I buy my RF7s.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Matt.

Check out the Onkyo TX-SR 505/605 and 705 receivers. They are getting a lot of press because they have HDMI switching, the new codec decoding, etc., starting at about $380.

I am also NOT a fan of Sony - but the PS3 does seem to be one of the better BluRay players and Sony is committed to keeping it current. It is a bit more than the current crop of $250 players - but it is one of the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks