What's new

Avr-1912 settings (1 Viewer)

Bryan Wohltman

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
Im new to denon and Audyssey settings and im having trouble with settings or lack of that im supposed to have. Im using 7.1 and arent able to access things like room size,c image,panorama,dimension,c width just to name a few. I noticed some settings weren’t available till after i ran the 6 position setup like individual xovers,surround settings,n Audyssey settings. Ive always had sony avrs and have been able to using any soundfield setting available that the unit could decode. The most im able to choose from now is Dolby digital EX,plIIx c,and DD as far as surround options. Why arent things like true hd,all the dts,and all the other soundfields. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This stuff gets complicated and it's not always easy or possible to answer all your questions online, without being in front of the system. One thing that comes to mind is, you seem to be confused about the difference between sound fields and audio formats. DD, DTS, True HD, Dolby Digital EX, Atmos, etc are sound formats. The sound format that's being played back is what it is. It can't be something else. In other words, you can't "select" True HD on the receiver as an option all the time. It's only there if that's the format of audio it's being fed. Then you can apply additional processing (like Dolby Surround, Neural, etc.) if you want, at times, depending on the receiver and other variables.

Bryan Wohltman

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
This stuff gets complicated and it's not always easy or possible to answer all your questions online, without being in front of the system. One thing that comes to mind is, you seem to be confused about the difference between sound fields and audio formats. DD, DTS, True HD, Dolby Digital EX, Atmos, etc are sound formats. The sound format that's being played back is what it is. It can't be something else. In other words, you can't "select" True HD on the receiver as an option all the time. It's only there if that's the format of audio it's being fed. Then you can apply additional processing (like Dolby Surround, Neural, etc.) if you want, at times, depending on the receiver and other variables.
I have about 28 years of audio experience in car,home,and pro. It started out as a hobby and have made a decent amount of cash building boxes and doing installs. Im also a certified electronic tech for a living. I take pride in my work and typically excel at anything i put my mind to. I do alot of technical reading and understand it all. I do know the difference between a sound field and an audio format. While this is my first venture into denon on my previous sony str-de985 and str-dh700 i was able to select a decent amount of dts and dd sound modes as well as let them auto decode. Since my post on this topic i played my first dvd and dd7.1 was a new sound field that popped up but nothing else. It looks like it only gives me options for fields that are compatible with what im watching not the ability to select at random. A quick insight into the system im primarily watching apple tv with the out set to dd5.1 and a samsung bluray. Both are connected through hdmi. Other than speaker size,xover,and the audyssey calibration setting are what came from the factory. So would i be correct in assuming i only gives me certain decoding options based on what im watching. Other than that im still curious why i dont have the ability to change room size or center imaging. Thats a feature i miss from my str-de985. Any info anybody can provide is always appreciated and if i need to give out anymore on my setup.

Bryan Wohltman

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
So i put on the dd music field on n i went into settings and settings like panorama,c image,dimension plus 1 or 2 more were there to adjust. I cant understand why all setting aren’t available at all times.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So i put on the dd music field on n i went into settings and settings like panorama,c image,dimension plus 1 or 2 more were there to adjust. I cant understand why all setting aren’t available at all times.

Because some are setup for dolby, some are for dts, and many are for taking 2 channel and making it fake surround. And the reason you don't see the same thing you seen with your Sony is because Sony is marketed toward folks who know nothing and like fake sound fields. While Denon includes some of this garbage it's not as 'in your face'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks