What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Dallas on blu ray?? (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
That would be total sacrilege. I never understood all of the majors releasing DVD versions of shows more recent than Dallas on DVD only when their masters were in HD. Archer immediately comes to mind. Another Fox f$%@ up.

Unfortunately yes on a strictly technical level, for your first sentence.

For your second statement, it is not surprising at all if lousy sales numbers are the underlying motivation for the absence of a bluray/4Kbluray version for many tv show season/series sets.

Most likely the manager/executive in charge of the home video division at large movie companies, will be fired if too many sales failures are released during their tenure. (ie. Cover their ass, along with the additional cash needed for their McMansions, Mercedes Benz, private schools for their kids, cocaine, hookers, etc ...).

:rolling-smiley:

stevemagruder

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Magruder
Good luck with "Falcon Crest" we've never seen a proper DVD release only the first two seasons........
All seasons of Falcon Crest are currently streaming on Amazon Freevee (formerly IMDBtv). I think this is a recent acquisition.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Not always.

Some DC superhero stuff is still released as general mass market dvds and some blurays, such as Wonder Woman, Supergirl, etc ....
Okay, Warner Home Video, apart from the Warner Archive DVD's is NOT MOD burned discs but legitimately authored. So, WAC Blu-rays are authored. Warner Home Video releases are authored. If Dallas arrives on Blu-ray, it will arrive in legitimately authored 1080p. Just saying.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Okay, Warner Home Video, apart from the Warner Archive DVD's is NOT MOD burned discs but legitimately authored. So, WAC Blu-rays are authored. Warner Home Video releases are authored. If Dallas arrives on Blu-ray, it will arrive in legitimately authored 1080p. Just saying.
Exactly. NO Warner releases (Archive or otherwise) were ever MOD on blu-ray. On DVD, yes, but there aren't many cost savings to be had with burnt BluRays as there are with DVD-Rs. All BD releases from Warner Archive are pressed/not burned and always have been.

To the nay-sayers, I'd say that since this is Warner Brothers, if Dallas does not get a "retail" BD release on the Warner Home Video label, you can almost guarantee that it will get a release through Warner Archive. True, that means this will never be available at "fire sale" prices, but since Warner are going to the trouble to recomposite all the 1986-forward episodes (the ones edited on videotape), you'd expect them to want to make some of that money back over time.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
...you'd expect them to want to make some of that money back over time.
Could though just be through streaming and not a physical media release. That would be my guess. CBS/Paramount has many classic series transferred to HD from over a decade ago, but only a few have made it to blu-ray releases, yet others are available streaming in HD. Hoping more classic shows make it to blu-ray, but not counting on it.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Dallas has a pretty decent sized fanbase, so a physical release may appeal to a larger audience than some other shows. I really don't know how well the original DVDs or the Time Life sets sold, but Time Life's set went out of print PDQ - way before I could get around to getting them. The license must have been pretty short term.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Dallas has a pretty decent sized fanbase, so a physical release may appeal to a larger audience than some other shows.
Hope you are right. I remember visiting a friend in college the night the episode aired to find out who shot JR. The students arranged a party around the event in the dorm, until everyone finally huddled around the TV set to watch the episode.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Dallas will get a physical release eventually. It's the eventually part that is ambiguous at best right now. But rest assured, with this much money being spent to restore and remaster such an icon of 70's/80's TV, Warner will make sure to spread the wealth across multiple platforms; streaming, physical, digital, etc. It's the best way to recoup their enormous outlay on the project. If they really wanted to milk it - physical releases of season by season, followed by a deluxe box set.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Dallas will get a physical release eventually. It's the eventually part that is ambiguous at best right now. But rest assured, with this much money being spent to restore and remaster such an icon of 70's/80's TV, Warner will make sure to spread the wealth across multiple platforms; streaming, physical, digital, etc. It's the best way to recoup their enormous outlay on the project. If they really wanted to milk it - physical releases of season by season, followed by a deluxe box set.
That's how it was 10 or 20 years ago but not now. Never say never I guess but I can't remember the last time that Warners released a Blu-ray of an older TV show that didn't involve superheroes.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For a set that large, wonder if Warner Archive will try using something like kickstarter to get enough preorders locked in.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It ran for a few cycles on, I think, TNN back in the 90's. I recorded the entire series during that run and then got the DVDs. Usually a show like this would die in syndication. I don't think a kickstarter would be necessary but what do I know? I'm just this dude what wants me some Dallas

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
For a set that large, wonder if Warner Archive will try using something like kickstarter to get enough preorders locked in.
I wouldn't think a major studio would use a kickstarter approach. I assume there doing all the major prep-work in order to prepare for future streaming/syndication. I would think that covers the majority of the expense. I don't see WB licensing it out to a Millcreek type that would be more than happy to do a physical media release. I think it just comes down to how interested they are in releasing older TV shows on blu-ray (i.e., is the return large enough to be worth the time and effort). I'm looking at CBS/Paramount the same way. Is there going to be anything else after the TAGS and MI blu-rays releases? Did they consider them worth the effort to continue with other shows sitting there with HD transfers already done, or are they just going to go with streaming/syndication/digital releases? Time will tell.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
That's how it was 10 or 20 years ago but not now. Never say never I guess but I can't remember the last time that Warners released a Blu-ray of an older TV show that didn't involve superheroes.

You're right about Warner Home Video, but Warner Archive is a totally different animal. They have released seasons of things that could be considered 'low-demand, old and non-superhero' (Lethal Weapon: The Series, anyone?). No, I do not expect WHV to release season sets (or complete sets) on blu-ray to brick and mortar stores. I do expect, though, that Warner Archive will likely issue this show, one season at a time (not all at once), on blu-ray via their online retail partners. I do not think they'll do a kickstarter, and I certain do not think they'll issue a complete boxset at the beginning. Their typical model for a long-running show has been one season at a time, spread out over months/years, and maybe a collected/complete set at the very end.

SmithBrad said:
I'm looking at CBS/Paramount the same way.

That's not a fair comparison, though. It's fair enough to compare CBS/Par to WHV (Warner's "retail" division), but CBS doesn't have a niche "Archive Collection" business like Warner does. If there's any studio where TV releases are more likely than another, it's Warner (through Warner Archive).

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
That's not a fair comparison, though. It's fair enough to compare CBS/Par to WHV (Warner's "retail" division), but CBS doesn't have a niche "Archive Collection" business like Warner does. If there's any studio where TV releases are more likely than another, it's Warner (through Warner Archive).
I've always considered WB Archive and CBS/Paramount to be the best classic TV releases on DVD. I own many releases from both. Just because CBS/Paramount doesn't have a separation in divisions does not mean CBS/Paramount is not a fair comparison, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. I know CBS/Paramount released the classic TV shows TAGS and MI on blu-ray. I honestly don't know what classic shows WB Archive has released on blu-ray since they don't have the online store anymore. I know that CBS/Paramount transferred dozens of classic shows to HD for their DVD release that could be distributed on blu-ray quite easily. I have no idea what classic shows WB Archive has already transferred to HD. What classic shows has WB Archive already released on blu-ray to date?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Sex and the City: The Complete Series + 2 movies.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Sex and the City: The Complete Series + 2 movies.
Which is from 1998. Dallas goes back to 1978. Can you name any pre-80's? How about pre-90's? I'm actually really curious to know. Maybe I missed something.

I guess I should add that aren't Hanna Barbera since we know they have supported the animated series.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks