What's new

Dallas on blu ray?? (2 Viewers)

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron

**NEWS** The High Definition restoration/remaster of all fourteen seasons of #Dallas is nearing completion. The project at Warner Bros, Burbank has included three colorists and a Graphics and VFX Artist to remaster the opening titles. More news soon.

Attachments

• FROeXqvXEAE4Lb6.jpeg
    FROeXqvXEAE4Lb6.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 573
  • FROeXqtXoAI2QKo.jpeg
    FROeXqtXoAI2QKo.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 534

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Oh, my God. Are you serious?!? Dallas complete on Blu-ray would be a day one purchase for me. A favorite for sure. Were that Warner would do Falcon Crest too!

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
Great news especially for the 1986-87 season, which was the first season edited on tape (still shot on film) and has looked notoriously fuzzy. I understand they went back to the original film elements to recompose the episodes. I never thought they’d spend that kind of money on Dallas.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Good luck with "Falcon Crest" we've never seen a proper DVD release only the first two seasons........

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Dallas is a cultural touchstone of television. It deserves it. Let's hope more of the Lorimar catalog is being given this much attention to detail - like, Falcon Crest, North and South and The Thorn Birds.
Also Eight is Enough.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Edits? In which seasons? I’ve never noticed that
Season 9 had some syndicated versions (the dream season). Actually, this didn't bother me like it should have mostly because 1) I loved reliving the syndicated intros (specially made for the rerun market) and 2) they had the original Lorimar logo at the end.

JeffHow

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Howse
If you do a Google search for Dallas remastered in HD, there is a post on another message board made late last year talking about Warner's plans for Dallas that are noted above. There's no reference to where they got the info but it does mention Warner is also looking at remastering Falcon Crest and Knots Landing. Again please take with a grain of salt but would be great if it's true.

@classictvfan40 would you happen to know if this is true about Falcon Crest and Knots Landing?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not to rain on anyone's parade but has there been any news specifically about a Blu-ray release of this? It's much more likely that they're just creating HD versions for streaming, digital and syndication. That's still good because it will help keep the show 'alive' in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath for a physical release. When was the last time that Warners released a decades-old show on Blu-ray that didn't involve superheroes? Especially one that has more than 350 hour-long episodes.

JeffHow

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Howse
Not to rain on anyone's parade but has there been any news specifically about a Blu-ray release of this? It's much more likely that they're just creating HD versions for streaming, digital and syndication. That's still good because it will keep the show 'alive' in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath for a physical release. When was the last time that Warners released a decades-old show on Blu-ray that didn't involve superheroes? Especially one that has more than 350 hour-long episodes.
This is the content of the post on another message board from last year that does mention a blu-ray release but again no reference to where they got the information or anything. I would be very surprised as well if this turns out to be true about a physical release.

After many years of speculation Warner Brothers are currently re-scanning Dallas from the original 35mm masters for a complete HD restoration. The project has been on going for several months. Seasons 10-13 are being reconstructed from the original elements as they only currently exist in one inch video SD master tape.

The project will take quite some time to complete but the plans are to have Dallas stream on HBO Max and eventually stream globally with an eventual Blu Ray release (possibly in time for the 45th anniversary in 2023) . Warner are also looking at restorations for Knots Landing and Falcon Crest. It's just going to take time!

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Am I correct in assuming that Warner is all MOD for physical media now. so this would be MOD too ?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Am I correct in assuming that Warner is all MOD for physical media now. so this would be MOD too ?

Not always.

Some DC superhero stuff is still released as general mass market dvds and some blurays, such as Wonder Woman, Supergirl, etc ....

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
With all the being said.

Another possible disc release scenario, are these HD (2k, 4k, or higher resolution) rescans being used for a complete series dvd re-release.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
With all the being said.

Another possible disc release scenario, are these HD (2k, 4k, or higher resolution) rescans being used for a complete series dvd re-release.
That would be total sacrilege. I never understood all of the majors releasing DVD versions of shows more recent than Dallas on DVD only when their masters were in HD. Archer immediately comes to mind. Another Fox f$%@ up.

The proliferation of classic TV on DVD caused all of the studios to get sloppy, releasing any old masters simply to dump them on the market - no care and no quality. I can't watch LA Law on DVD. It's a travesty. Dynasty doesn't look so bad, but, for a show as iconic as this - with all those great Nolan Miller gowns - Blu-ray is definitely the way to go.

I sure wish someone would fix Ally McBeal on Blu-ray - and Remington Steele too.

Paramount did the best work here. Kudos on their Mission Impossible and MacGyver completes on Blu.

Now, it's time for Dynasty/Dynasty II: The Colbys, Laverne & Shirley, Happy Days, Cheers, and, Hawaii 5-0 original series. They also need to do a complete remaster on Frasier. Those discs are an atrocity!!!

Warner has soooooo much great TV that deserves better. The Thorn Birds, North and South, Falcon Crest, Knots Landing, The Dukes of Hazzard, Perfect Strangers. Will I see any of these in my lifetime? I do hope so. Having been ill now for 4 months and not getting better, I spend my days soaking up a lot of classic TV memories. Would like to revisit these before I go.

JeffHow

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Howse
Was browsing on Twitter for any more concrete news on Dallas and someone referenced a very interesting article that had a quote from the SVP of emerging formats, mastering and content at Warner Archives. I'm probably looking at this with rose colored glasses but it makes me excited that maybe there are some great things coming. If Dallas does indeed get a physical release, maybe in combination with what's said in this article, that will be a sign of good things to come. The whole article is an interesting read.

Most legacy studios with major libraries already had preservation budgets, but this new impulse toward volume means those budgets aren’t going away as long as the current streaming model exists. Warner Archives overseer Daphne Dentz, the senior vice president of emerging formats, mastering, and content, explained their current process. “We are preserving our entire library,” she said. “It doesn’t matter what movie or television show, we will have a digital copy of that within the next many years. Nothing will ever be lost once it becomes digital. I think that we are in a moment in time where we want to restore everything in the library, and every title may not get a full 4k restoration, but it will definitely get a new HD master. And then as soon as that’s available, it’s gonna be in the marketplace.”

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
That would be total sacrilege. I never understood all of the majors releasing DVD versions of shows more recent than Dallas on DVD only when their masters were in HD. Archer immediately comes to mind. Another Fox f$%@ up.

The proliferation of classic TV on DVD caused all of the studios to get sloppy, releasing any old masters simply to dump them on the market - no care and no quality. I can't watch LA Law on DVD. It's a travesty. Dynasty doesn't look so bad, but, for a show as iconic as this - with all those great Nolan Miller gowns - Blu-ray is definitely the way to go.

I sure wish someone would fix Ally McBeal on Blu-ray - and Remington Steele too.

Paramount did the best work here. Kudos on their Mission Impossible and MacGyver completes on Blu.

Now, it's time for Dynasty/Dynasty II: The Colbys, Laverne & Shirley, Happy Days, Cheers, and, Hawaii 5-0 original series. They also need to do a complete remaster on Frasier. Those discs are an atrocity!!!

Warner has soooooo much great TV that deserves better. The Thorn Birds, North and South, Falcon Crest, Knots Landing, The Dukes of Hazzard, Perfect Strangers. Will I see any of these in my lifetime? I do hope so. Having been ill now for 4 months and not getting better, I spend my days soaking up a lot of classic TV memories. Would like to revisit these before I go.
Hang in there. Agreed on the original Hawaii Five-O and Dukes of Hazzard on Blu-ray. Also Columbo (US release), Streets of San Francisco, Police Story, Chips, TJ Hooker, The A-Team (US release), Hunter, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks