What's new

Cue Cat/CatNip/MS XP/USB keyboard question (1 Viewer)

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I just got a new Dell computer with a USB keyboard running under Microsoft XP. I loaded Cat Nip but could not change the properties in Cat Nip software to scan for bar codes.

The Cue Cat I have is the PS/2 plug type. This Cue Cat is supposed to work with a PS/2 keyboard using the "Y" cable atached to the 'Cat. Since my computer has a PS/2 keyboard receptacle, I just plug the Cue Cat into it.

Questions:

1. Does Cat Nip works with XP?

2. Could I plug the Cue cat the open PS/2 keyboard receptacle?

3. Do I need reconfigure the computer? Add drivers, etc...

4. How could I check if the Cue Cat is working which I'm pretty sure it does? It does light-up.

Thanks in advance.

Robert George

Screenwriter
I bought a new computer a couple of months ago loaded with XP. I actually used an adapter to connect the scanner with USB. Once I loaded the Catnip software and entered the proper setttings, it worked fine.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
1. Does Cat Nip works with XP?

2. Could I plug the Cue cat the open PS/2 keyboard receptacle?

3. Do I need reconfigure the computer? Add drivers, etc...

4. How could I check if the Cue Cat is working which I'm pretty sure it does? It does light-up.

1. Yes, it does
  2. Not 100% sure, but it's possible that you can
  3. You effectively are setting up two separate keyboards. You will have to let the computer know that's the case
  4. You can open up Notepad and start scanning barcodes. If you see garbled text, it's working[/list=1]

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
If you go to the QueCat Web Page you will find that they now offer a USB only version of the device and it is still basicly still free... you only have to pay shipping...

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
DavidEC,

I went to the QueCat web site and it's $7.95+$2.00 shipping. Am I missing something? Don't Radio Shack still gives these things out for free?

Thanks

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I went to the QueCat web site and it's $7.95+$2.00 shipping.
That's for the "convergence kit". I believe Radio Shack still gives them out for free, but the reader only, no TV connectivity. Of course, the reader only is exactly what you need, the rest is destined to go into the garbage.

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
My local Radio sHacks are no longer giving the CueCats out free and are selling them for $9.95 and do not have the audio cable which 'RS' sells for $6 alone.

The cable is a nice cable to dub from a 'Walkman' style tape player to computer audio input.

--David

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am thinking about plugging my CueCat

back into my computer. Wasn't sure if it

was XP compatable, but it looks like it is.

Could someone post the proper CATNIP settings

for the scanner?

Also, what is the CATNIP download page?

Finally, does the CueCat plug into the

KEYBOARD or MOUSE port? I know it has an

adapter to handle both, just not sure which

one it shares.

Thanks in advance.

Paul W

Second Unit
It needs to go into the keyboard port (inline with your ps/2 keyboard, if you are using one).

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Ron,

the proper setting up for DVD Profiler / CatNip is as follows:

1. Run CatNip, double-click the icon in the taskbar, go to Profiles tab
  2. Click Add Profile button, enter profile name, click OK.
  3. In the Scan Type box type UPA (not UPC), in the filter type -++++++++++- and then hit Save Scan
  4. Make sure the newly created profile is selected before scanning.[/list=1]

You're now ready to use it. The web site is CatNip.

Michael Napier

Stunt Coordinator
I tried this thing out the other day. I was wondering, does anyone else use the CueCat with a wireless keyboard?

I have the Logitech Cordless Desktop and I'm using the PS-2 plugs for the keyboard and mouse. I plugged in the CueCat and everything was working fine until, during my scanning, my keyboard stopped responding. I tried pressing the connect buttons and even rebooted but it wouldn't respond. So I replaced the batteries and after a bit it started working again.

I'm afraid to plug in the CueCat again.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Well, I hate to dredge up a semi-dead thread but help is needed.

It appears that the Catnip software is not filtering the barcode output to DVD Profiler. No matter what I put in the Filter field I always get the leading and trailing numbers which are not a part of the code.

Thus DVD Profiler cannot identify the disc and it becomes worthless.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what a fix for this would be?

Thanks in advance.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Colin, look at the steps I provided in my previous post. If you follow them, then you should have the correct scan/filter association in the profile. Make sure this profile is selected. If that doesn't work, try this:

Close CatNip. Put the following in a text file named catnip.reg and double-click it. Say Yes when prompted. Start CatNip again and selecte DVD Profiler as profile. If that doesn't work, I'm clueless.

Code:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareHealthware Solutions]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareHealthware SolutionsCatNip]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareHealthware SolutionsCatNipSettings]

"CurProfile"="DVD Profiler"

"TermChar"=dword:0000000a

"SepChar"=dword:0000002d

"Style"=dword:00000000

"BeepOn"=dword:00000001

"BeepStyle"=dword:00000000

"Timeout"=dword:000000fa

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareHealthware SolutionsCatNipProfiles]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareHealthware SolutionsCatNipProfilesDVD Profiler]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareHealthware SolutionsCatNipProfilesDVD ProfilerUPA]

"Trans"="-++++++++++-"

"AutoConv"=dword:00000000

"Show"=dword:00000001

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Dmitry,

Thanks for the help. I did use your setup instructions above and triple checked that I entered them correctly but who knows, was kinda tired when I tried to set it all up.

I guess I should have added my configuration of

Cue Cat USB plugged into my MS Natural Keyboard USB port and running Win2K. I figured the connection and the data being scanned was alright, just the filter that was failing.

Thanks again.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Colin,
I can't figure from your post whether you got it to work or not :) I don't know if the CatNip is even compatible with the USB CueCat, I've never used one. I imagine it should be since you're not getting garbage. Also, the registry entries were taken from my WinME machine, I haven't checked the Win2K setup. Let me know if you'd like me to try on Win2K.
--Dmitry

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if the CatNip is even compatible with the USB CueCat,
The USB CueCat works just nice with CatNip in Win-XP home as I have been using this setup now for the past three weeks.

--David

PS- I have two P/S2 CueCats that I will send out just for the shipping co$t if you can not find them in your area..

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
I also have a few PS/2 CueCats that I can spare... (shipping, yadda yadda). Just E-mail me

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks