What's new

Connery in On Her Majesty's Secret Service? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I know Lumley more for her appearance with David McCallum in Sapphire & Steel. It was only ~10 years ago that I saw "Ab Fab" (and I didn't finish watching the entire series. It's OK, but not one I'll revisit often).

I watched OHMSS a couple of nights ago (this thread made me want to watch it again) and didn't notice her in the scene of the women in the chalet - but I wasn't looking for her either.

Watching Dr. No tonight - another favorite.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Instead of asking about Connery in OHMSS I've always been more intrigued by the possibilities of Lazenby in Diamonds Are Forever, which might have allowed that film to at least have been a true continuation and more definitively wrap up the Blofeld saga by factoring in the revenge element. I've seen some "fan trailers" over the years that do some slick editing to create some semi-believable visions of what might have been.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
As much as I love Sir Sean him not being in this bond may have been a good thing. The movie we got would have been altered to make it " Sean Connery in JAMES BOND", instead of just being a movie about james bond. The performance of Dianne Rigg may have suffered because she clearly steals every scene she is in with Lazenby, but his reaction at the end of the movie is so real I don't think Sean could have pulled that off any better. And that scene sold me on george lazenby. " It's alright.. Quite alright really..we will be carrying on soon"

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Had George stayed on (he wouldn't sign for the five) Diamonds would have also been different. Weather it would have been the hit it was with Sean, is another question. Probably doubtful. And the fact that they toyed with the definitive death of Blofeld always bothers me and then turned it into a full blown comedy in the precredit sequence of For Your Eyes Only. I asked Cubby once what the line "I'll buy you a delicatessan...in stainless steel" and he wasn't sure. I thought maybe it was a reference to Bond's Rolex, but it was not. Now in reading the original script for Diamonds that I have, there were frogmen s jumping out of helicopters and a full blown fight occurs on the oil rig. Blofeld takes the batho sub to an island, Bond tracks him down and strangles him. Because Connery demanded 18 weeks shooting schedule and no more or he wanted another 145,000 a week after, they went with Connery's schedule. This was the beginning of the end for me until Timothy Dalton showed up. Also interesting to note John Gavin was signed on retainer for 10,000 to do the film should Connery not return. Sean's last day on the set was Friday the 13th, August of '71.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Had George stayed on (he wouldn't sign for the five) Diamonds would have also been different. Weather it would have been the hit it was with Sean, is another question. Probably doubtful. And the fact that they toyed with the definitive death of Blofeld always bothers me and then turned it into a full blown comedy in the precredit sequence of For Your Eyes Only. I asked Cubby once what the line "I'll buy you a delicatessan...in stainless steel" and he wasn't sure. I thought maybe it was a reference to Bond's Rolex, but it was not. Now in reading the original script for Diamonds that I have, there were frogmen s jumping out of helicopters and a full blown fight occurs on the oil rig. Blofeld takes the batho sub to an island, Bond tracks him down and strangles him. Because Connery demanded 18 weeks shooting schedule and no more or he wanted another 145,000 a week after, they went with Connery's schedule. This was the beginning of the end for me until Timothy Dalton showed up. Also interesting to note John Gavin was signed on retainer for 10,000 to do the film should Connery not return. Sean's last day on the set was Friday the 13th, August of '71.
I agree. I would think that at the very least diamonds would have been more interesting than what it turned out.

Dalton got such a raw deal with his bond films because with times changing he didn't get many chances to show how good he was ( in my mind the perfect bond outside of sean). Liscense to kill had such a good plot but was all over the place.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I seem to remember Michael Wilson copping to the idiotic "delicatessen" line from the FYEO teaser in what might have been the commentary track or one of the other supplements for that film (I think he said it had something to do with Mafia shakedown offers but it's been years since I heard it) Needless to say it was a bizarre line that made the teaser even less satisfying as an "end of Blofeld" segment.

Here's one of those "fan trailers" of a mythical Lazenby in DAF film.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think Moore could have been very good in OHMSS, if he had been directed to play up Bond’s vulnerability a bit more. And he would have killed in the Hilary Bray scenes.
I’ll agree to that! In fact, I’d say every Bond actor BUT Connery could have done a potentially great job with OHMSS. I think Moore and Brosnan in particular would have been great to see do it.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
One question - where's the 4k?
The current 4k releases are clearly older 4k scans and Lowry restorations that were produced for the Blu-ray's years ago. Frozen grain and other anomalies plague these releases.

Unless EON or Amazon actually ponies up for new scans and superior restorations, I fear the classic Bonds will be forever treated like a bastard stepchild. It's like Paramount and Star Trek. It's their bread and butter franchise, but is always treated so shabbily. Only ONE, ST: TMP Director's Cut, got an Atmos overhaul or any extra special care for the Star Trek 4k releases.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
Connery was undeniably solid in all of the bond movies, especially Dr. NO and YUOLT, though with DAF, it was clear that he wanted out and was perhaps a bit too old for the role anyway. But Majesty's a very different animal, at least for me. Cudos to the casting director on that one. To me, Lanzenby was the perfect breath of fresh air. Telly Savalas made a great burly and controlling Blofeld, and Ilse Steppat and Diana Rigg were standouts. I loved the Swiss locations and I believe that Blofeld's Piz Gloria is now a restaurant.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Connery was undeniably solid in all of the bond movies, especially Dr. NO and YUOLT, though with DAF, it was clear that he wanted out and was perhaps a bit too old for the role anyway. But Majesty's a very different animal, at least for me. Cudos to the casting director on that one. To me, Lanzenby was the perfect breath of fresh air. Telly Savalas made a great burly and controlling Blofeld, and Ilse Steppat and Diana Rigg were standouts. I loved the Swiss locations and I believe that Blofeld's Piz Gloria is now a restaurant.
I have the menu from Piz Gloria from years ago. Real Hot Chocolate is only 5.75!
Peter Hunt fought hard for Lazenby especially after George told him he was not an actor of films. Hunt told him to keep his mouth shut. Harry found out had a fit, called him a clothe peg, after finding out he was a male model. The fight rehersal on the beach convinced Harry otherwise. George said they sent him 16mm copies of all of the Connery Bonds and made him sit in a screening room and watch them all before shooting the picture.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I can only add that one of the great losses of the Bond series was not having Lazenby return as Bond. He was 007 to the hilt and OHMSS is the one to prove it. The movie is fantastic and Diana Rigg beats all other Bond girls, hands down.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I can only add that one of the great losses of the Bond series was not having Lazenby return as Bond. He was 007 to the hilt and OHMSS is the one to prove it. The movie is fantastic and Diana Rigg beats all other Bond girls, hands down.
I love Rigg because she was a real and experienced actor. But my favorite remains Daniela Bianchi.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I think Brosnan is by far the weakest Bond, his films have aged less well.
Keith,
In total agreement with you. It was one and done, Goldeneye being the best of the bunch! They progressively got worse with each film. Pierce always stated he was having a good time doing the films, but I wasn't having a good time watching them. Really? an invisible car!? I meant Roger several times, had cigars and drinks with him at the Premiers and felt he was the Bond of the 70's due to cultural changes. The public would not respond at that time to a From Russia With Love type film because of the kinds of films that were being made then. I only liked For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy. But the rest I can have fun with in retrospect. But some of the Bronson's are actually painful to attempt to sit thru. You have this outstanding scene with him and Teri Hatcher dead in Tomorrow Never Dies and then you bring in that Dr. Kaufman (Vincent Schiavelli) character to destroy the scene for comic relief?!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
People just keep going on about the invisible car in "Die Another Day". The car was the least of the pproblems with that film. In fact, it was not beyond reality as there is active work IRL going on to create adaptive camouflage which is what the car had.

I think Brosnan surfing a tidal wave was a lot more ludicrous than a camouflaged car.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Keith,
In total agreement with you. It was one and done, Goldeneye being the best of the bunch! They progressively got worse with each film. Pierce always stated he was having a good time doing the films, but I wasn't having a good time watching them. Really? an invisible car!? I meant Roger several times, had cigars and drinks with him at the Premiers and felt he was the Bond of the 70's due to cultural changes. The public would not respond at that time to a From Russia With Love type film because of the kinds of films that were being made then. I only liked For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy. But the rest I can have fun with in retrospect. But some of the Bronson's are actually painful to attempt to sit thru. You have this outstanding scene with him and Teri Hatcher dead in Tomorrow Never Dies and then you bring in that Dr. Kaufman (Vincent Schiavelli) character to destroy the scene for comic relief?!
My favourite is Dalton but Moore is 'my Bond' as the first I saw theatrically was Live and Let Die. I like all of Roger's films except for Golden Gun and have a soft spot for Moonraker. He had a fabulous career, The Saint, The Persuaders (just finished watching them again), then Bond plus assorted films like Wild Geese, Sea Wolves. What a gent, sadly missed.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
My favourite is Dalton but Moore is 'my Bond' as the first I saw theatrically was Live and Let Die. I like all of Roger's films except for Golden Gun and have a soft spot for Moonraker. He had a fabulous career, The Saint, The Persuaders (just finished watching them again), then Bond plus assorted films like Wild Geese, Sea Wolves. What a gent, sadly missed.
First off, I loved Dalton who brought the series back down to earth and gave them a 60's Connery feel again. Dalton smokes his Moreland specials and has his Ronson oxidized lighter, hooray!!!!Next up, I felt all of Roger's non Bonds were better than his Bonds, The Wild Geese, Gold, Shout At The Devil and The Man Who Haunted Himself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks