What's new

Connery in On Her Majesty's Secret Service? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve mused often with the what-if question had Connery done On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, I used to feel he would have been great. But I hesitated to comment here as you guys have very good reasons to think the film would not be the same. I agree the film would have been tailored to Connery and it would not have been the same.

On the question of whether he could have pulled off the scene after Tracy is killed, I think it would have been different. I go back to the audio commentary on Thunderball with John Cork. He points out how Connery is emotional when he tells Domino about her brother. He talks about ow his hand is shaking As he gives Domino her brothers watch and dog tags. So I think he would have been good. Of course we will never know. He might have had a different chemistry with Diana Rigg that might have changed her performance.

It would have been cool if Connery would have made the film with the same kind of performance he gave in From Russia With Love.

12DEC983-1470-4AA6-AD13-6B19E0BD2301.jpeg

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Nelson,
It is interesting to discuss and speculate. I always wanted to see Sean, Roger and Michael Caine in a remake of Gunga Din!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I think Brosnan is by far the weakest Bond, his films have aged less well.
I thought Brosnan was terrific as Bond. The movies as a whole are another matter.

I happen to love Tomorrow Never Dies for several reasons, but even it had its problems (among them one of Jonathan Pryce's weakest performances, and Teri Hatcher, to name two). I still think it has the best pre-credits sequence of the entire series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I thought Brosnan was terrific as Bond. The movies as a whole are another matter.

I happen to love Tomorrow Never Dies for several reasons, but even it had its problems (among them one of Jonathan Pryce's weakest performances, and Teri Hatcher, to name two). I still think it has the best pre-credits sequence of the entire series.
Yes, this, exactly. Brosnan was very good, but the writers never rose to the occasion for him. Tomorrow Never Dies is, I think, his best, due in large part to the great performance by Michelle Yeoh, and a pretty smart script (compared to his other films).

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Yes, this, exactly. Brosnan was very good, but the writers never rose to the occasion for him. Tomorrow Never Dies is, I think, his best, due in large part to the great performance by Michelle Yeoh, and a pretty smart script (compared to his other films).
Not to mention that by the time of the Dalton and Brosnan films, the Bond films while entertaining were a little low rent and were left in the dust compared to the best action films made at that time by BETTER directors with more vision and style (like the Bourne films, Mission Impossible films or True Lies, T2.) Finally with the Daniel Craig Bond films, the budgets increased, and the Bond films started feeling close to state of the art again. They are not my favorite films - my heart still lies w the Connery bond films and a few of the Moore titles. The Spy Who Loved Me was state of the art at the time and tremendously entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks