1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

connecting a subwoofer to a sound bar using optical

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by notty, Jul 19, 2016.

1. notty

notty Auditioning

Michael Nott
    hi there i am looking at buying a sound bar but it needs a sub woofer which i have however the only input for the sub is the red and white phono inputs and the only inputs on the sound bar is 2xoptical and 1xwhat looks like a headphone jack, is there any way of getting the bass from the audio that is going to the soundbar and sending it to the sub woofer??

2. notty

notty Auditioning

Michael Nott
    ???

3. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Really, unless the soundbar has it's own dedicated subwoofer output, you're not going to be able to combine your own subwoofer with just any sound bar.

Most sound bars that support a subwoofer are going to come with one - often times they are "wireless", so even then you may not be able to swap out that sub with your current sub.

As with most things electronics-related these days, trying to get something "new" to work with something "older" is frustratingly difficult and often ultimately more expensive.

4. notty

notty Auditioning

Michael Nott
    thanks for the reply....that has answered my question...i'll give up on that idea and get a setup with a sub

5. Wes K

Wes K Stunt Coordinator

Wesley
    A great 2.1 or 5.1 soundbar with sub is a line by vizio. I've had the 5.1 (which only decodes DD and DTS) and it was amazing, the sub was very powerful.