What's new
World Wide Stereo

Component distances (1 Viewer)

JamesDrake

Agent
How much distance should I have between my Receiver and DVD player? I currently have my DVD on top of my receiver and it gets hot. I amthinking of building a rack for them but I need to know a safe/average distance.

Thanks!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JamesDrake

Agent
I apologize for not being clear with my question. I am talking about actual physical space between the two components stacked on top of each other rather than cable length between the two components.

However, I did not previously know the safe cable length prior to your answer so you did help me after all. Thanks!

After looking at some of the racks at Ultimate Electronics, it appears that the components are spaced approximately 4-6 inches between each shelf. Maybe I'll just go with that and see how it looks.

SimiA

Second Unit
4-6 inches is more than enough space between your components.
I'm sorry I did not read it more carefully.
Vb

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Some receivers request 8 inches of space. If you have your manual, it should be in the front of it. But if your player is on top of the receiver now, take it off! You could burn up both of them!

Glenn

JamesDrake

Agent
Heading that direction.......NOW!
Thanks!

Plus I'll double check my manual too. BTW it is an Onkyo RT500 receiver.

Just turned off the receiver and double checked the dvd player. More hot than I realized. I added extra rubber feet to the DVD player when I set it up to give it more height. I guess It's not enough.
Anyway, I just checked the manual and it stated 8 inches clearance. That shouldn't be too hard with my shelf idea.

Thanks for the input.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
James, never stack a component directly on top of another, especially a receiver. Those ventilation slats are there for a reason. Ignore those pics in magazine ads.

Your receiver generates heat that must be allowed to dissipate. In addition, DVD players themselves run hot.

Remove your player from the receiver immediately.

JamesDrake

Agent
It's shutdown and removed. I am currently designing some sort of AV rack to place these in. Of course with my8 month old son crawling around and yanking on things, it will have to go on top of the Oak TV cabinet until he's older.

I'll post pics once it is completed and setup.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
James, it sounds like you've got it figured out already, but if you check your owner's manual... they sometimes will give "minimum airspace" requirements in there.

Receivers should definitely need a few inches of clearance above since they generate a lot of heat. I always make sure to have mine at the top of my set up. Cable converter boxes are also big "cookers".

DVD players, CD players, VCR's generally don't operate with that much heat.. so, personally, I don't have a problem stacking those.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ditto that – I’ve never had a problem stacking components that don’t generate neat – cassette deck, tuner, CD player, VCR, equalizer, etc. My DVD player is the odd one that does generate some heat, so it’s at the top of a stack, not in the middle of one.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JamesDrake

Agent
Well, I had it spaced at least 1.5-2 inches but when I moved furniture recently, I felt that it was hotter than it should be. And now here we are.

As far as the manual was concerned it was listed in a not so obvious place and I merely overlooked it. It actually took me awhile to find it in the manual. Now that I know where to look, it won't escape me the next time I purchase some equipment. }: >

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I have a thread on How to setup your new reciever that includes a suggested rack-layout based on both heat-management and ergonomics.

If you have children, go ahead and build a shelf and spread the components out horizontally. BUT - dont put anything on the reciever. It needs open space above it for heat to escape. (Hint: The heat needs to 'see' open/cooler areas above for it to flow.)

You should also be careful if you have a Tivo/PVR/DVR unit. These 'simple' units are really computers and generate a LOT of heat as well - even if they are not powering speakers. The hottest device in my rack - to my suprise - is my HDTV cable box. Watch these as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks