What's new

Ideal Viewing distance help - 135/150 inch screen (1 Viewer)

Divyam

Grip
Real Name
Divyam
Hi all,

I am planning to build a dedicated HT with a 7.2.4 setup. My room size is 21 ft x 15 ft x 9 ft. I will use the room for movies, music and games (33% each)

My final components are as follows:

Projector JVC DLA NX7
Screen Elite AR150H2-AUHD / Elite AR135H2-AUHD
Receiver Marantz 8012
Power Amp Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3
Woofers (x2) Rythmik F18
Speakers LCR B&W CT 7.3 LCRS
Speakers Surrounds B&W CWM 7.5
Speakers Atmos B&W CCM 684

As we can see, I am confused between going for a 135 inch or a 150 inch screen. What would be the ideal viewing distance for both the sizes. I have researched quite a bit on this and have found varying opinions. I was thinking of going for 11 feet for the 135 inch and 12 feet for the 150 inch. Would that be too close/far? Kindly help thanks!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Projectors? Nah. I'm almost clueless about projectors.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My recommendation, which isn't very popular among professional installers or people who want to set up their theaters all in one quick motion:

-Get the projector you want and get a giant white bedsheet if the wall that you'll be eventually attaching your screen to isn't blank. Plug a player into the projector, and put something on, and play around with the size until it feels right. Then, measure the size of the image you settled on, and buy a screen of that size.

"Ideal" and "recommended" seating distances generally work for many people, but they're based on assumptions and preferences which may be different from yours. Since you're building a home theater that's meant to be custom to your tastes and preferences, I think it's a great opportunity to figure out what's perfect for you. It'll add an extra step to your process since you won't have everything all set up on day one, but I think approaching the sizing this way will allow you to get exactly what you want and to not be stuck with something that might not be to your liking.

Divyam

Grip
Real Name
Divyam

Divyam

Grip
Real Name
Divyam
My recommendation, which isn't very popular among professional installers or people who want to set up their theaters all in one quick motion:

-Get the projector you want and get a giant white bedsheet if the wall that you'll be eventually attaching your screen to isn't blank. Plug a player into the projector, and put something on, and play around with the size until it feels right. Then, measure the size of the image you settled on, and buy a screen of that size.

"Ideal" and "recommended" seating distances generally work for many people, but they're based on assumptions and preferences which may be different from yours. Since you're building a home theater that's meant to be custom to your tastes and preferences, I think it's a great opportunity to figure out what's perfect for you. It'll add an extra step to your process since you won't have everything all set up on day one, but I think approaching the sizing this way will allow you to get exactly what you want and to not be stuck with something that might not be to your liking.

Alright thanks! I will try and do a rudimentary demo before finalizing the seating!

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
I've always found screen size versus what you watch a major consideration. If you only watch HD or 4K, then choose a large screen. But if you watch a lot of DVDs, most of these are going to look r.s on a large screen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks