What's new

“Cleopatra” (1934) w/ Claudette Colbert – 4/10/2018 (1 Viewer)

Alberto_D

BANNED
Be careful to not wish too much historic veracity .

Reconstruction of Cleopatra based on a coin :

cleopatra-digital-reconstruction-21.jpg

Nose, eyelids... Beauty today maybe it's not the beauty of old times.

About a new blu ray, is it restored from the same grainy 35mm print from previous editions ?
The UK looke like had a inapproprieted grain reduction, creating a weird texture.

Last edited:

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Getting back to Claudette Colbert, I thought she was indeed pretty fetching in some of her earlier movies, like "The Misleading Lady" (1932) and "The Phantom President" (1932) and such. Almost surprisingly so. I think most people are more apt to envision her from her later, much more commonly-encountered film appearances, in items like "Without Reservations" and "The Egg and I," when she'd crossed into middle-age. Anyway, I hope this "Cleopatra" release portends more activity on blu from Universal. It's a nice and unexpected surprise.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I think the first CB DeMille movie in color was Northwest Mounted Police, released in 1940. Starting at that point I think all his movies were in color.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Seems like many of the biblical movies were the most naughty.
“For some unknown reason, those critics who are striking at Hollywood seem to blame the screen for creating sex. Motion pictures cannot be made without sex. Take it away from films and you take away their very life. They must have normal sex. As I remember, this sex business started in the Garden of Eden with the act of Jehovah when he provided the apple. To blame all that on motion pictures is slightly unfair, and to blame the beauty of a woman’s body, which neither I nor Mr. Ernst Lubitsch would have the brains to create, is sheer nonsense.”

– Cecil B. DeMille, Film Daily, August 1, 1934
https://www.cecilbdemille.com/portfolio-item/cleopatra/

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
There is a scene on a barge with slaves pulling the oars that is one of the most amazing shots I've ever seen.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I just saw Cleopatra and The Sign of the Cross at the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto last night, newish looking 35mm prints.

Colbert just doesn't make it in the role for me but this may be due to my recollections of her roles in later pictures such as Since She Went Away, which also had a best picture nomination and won for best score. So she had a good run of best picture nominations and a win! In some of her scenes she comes across as cunning but never, for me, very sexy.

Cleopatra holds up pretty well for sets and costumes but Sign of the Cross really doesn't. One of the gowns that Colbert in the film wore was displayed in the Stanford's lobby.

Regarding the discussion about having black actresses in the role, there is a very offensive line in the film with Romans suggesting she is black and then laughing about it. [From what I know, Romans were pretty tolerant about race, compared to more recent times.]

The 1963 Cleopatra still is a fantastic picture on all accounts.

Alberto_D

BANNED
If the film elements, a grainy 35mm original print (DeMille's personal print), it's the same used for the DVD and old blu ray, why people are expecting a relevant upgrade in image quality with this new blu ray edition ?

Ok, maybe a digital clean up make it look free of dust and scratches, but this films wasn't very dirty in these terms.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I think you're thinking of the "Elizabeth Taylor version", the 1934 version isn't even set for release in Canada until April. [edit: same as U.S., I thought it was already out, wasn't paying attention to dates, already have the Eureka]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks