What's new

“Cleopatra” (1934) w/ Claudette Colbert – 4/10/2018 (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
97ed555efba182b8f26b5cc6240ce0a0.jpg

because that outfit just screams matronly woman, LOL

It's not about the outfit but who's wearing it. My mother could wear that outfit and she'd still be matronly! :)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Cleopatra was the last ruler of the Ptolemaic dynasty. This dynasty descended from one of the generals of Alexander the Great, who ended up ruling Egypt when Alexander’s empire broke up. Like Alexander, Ptolemy I was Macedonian (that is, from northwestern Greece). We’ve got Cleopatra’s entire family tree going back to Ptolemy (which is a little…ingrown; the Ptolemaic dynasty practiced royal incest, with brothers and sisters often marrying to avoid creating too many rival branches of the family), even though images of Cleopatra herself are pretty thin on the ground. And both the textual and the archaeological evidence point to Cleopatra most likely being just as Greek—or rather, Macedonian—as the founder of her dynasty.

would have thought that Rome on HBO, was about as close as it was going to get, maybe one day it will happen again

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
When is someone going to make a movie about Cleopatra in which she (and most of the cast) is played by a person of color?
I thought Leonor Varela's casting in the 1999 TV version was the best approximation so far. She was born in Chile, but her mother was of Syrian and Hungarian descent.
hqdefault.jpg

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
When is someone going to make a movie about Cleopatra in which she (and most of the cast) is played by a person of color?

In spite of Spike Lee's claims, there is no evidence to support the theory that Cleopatra was black. At least Elizabeth Taylor looks like she could pass for Greek, not so sure about Claudette.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
As per Amazon, Universal will release Cleopatra (1934) starring Claudette Colbert on Blu-ray on April 10, 2018. Very unexpected (well, perhaps not, as it's been available in the UK for a few years) yet still very welcome.

Special features:
  • Feature Commentary with Filmmaker F.X. Feeney
  • Claudette Colbert: Queen of the Silver Screen
  • Cecil B. DeMille: Hollywood's Epic Director
  • Forbidden Film: The Production Code Era
  • Theatrical Trailer
Universal, if I'm not being too greedy, can we have The Heiress with de Havilland and Clift next?
YES PLEASE!!! And HOLD BACK THE DAWN!!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
F.X. did the commentary on Horse Feathers in the recent Marx Bros. Blu-ray set. It was my least favorite of the five commentaries, but it was okay.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
...even though images of Cleopatra herself are pretty thin on the ground.

Very true. I traveled to Egypt in November 2016 (a lifelong dream come true!) and on my trip I visited the Temple of Dendera, which features the only wall relief of Cleopatra in Egypt. It was incredible to finally see this in person and stand in exact the spot where she would have stood thousands of years ago. Totally surreal.

14980718_10101820242392677_7929725348349478785_n.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Helen of Troy was Greek too, guess a lot of people don't realize that

i have had the pleasure of visiting Egypt twice about 20 years apart, was amazed both times

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
I'll definitely be picking this up but Claudette Colbert is my least favorite Cleopatra. I much prefer Elizabeth Taylor and Vivien Leigh. Colbert's Cleo seems more matronly than femme fatale.
Nonsense: Alma Barrie's towering portrayal is the definitive Cleopatra. Just ask Sid. ;)

By the way, aside from the addition of French and Spanish subtitles, the Universal BD is identical to Eureka's.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
well while Universal is digging around in the old Paramount Library for items to release that have had some work done,

may i suggest
_30_poster_.jpg

not one single title of her films has been released on blu ray worldwide,
Looks like the censors got ahold of this image.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Id love this one on Blu Ray. Even though it's only an hour, it's a very early Cary Grant (I love Grant's films), and it's a Best Picture nominee.

I'm very excited for Cleopatra!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks