What's new

Christmas album reissues (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Got it! I wasn't getting the "Save audio" step correct after I clicked on the links you provided a few posts ago.

Interestingly, though, the YouTube mixes are different that the mp3s (start with the bell ringing at the beginning of the YT Adeste Fideles).

Thanks!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Agreed, this should be available on CD.

b77185c87c3c3d07a86c93d3f54763a0.jpg
I got all excited for a minute! I went to Amazon and found what appeared to be the original available for mp3 download. Thankfully, I listened to samples before I bit. It's the remake versions.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is just the right thread for this question.

I've been enjoying my copy of the David Rose Christmas LP reissue CD. There's a track on that CD called "The Christmas Tree."

That song is soooooooooo familiar to me...but I cannot place why. It sounds like a music cue that was used in a film or TV show...but as familiar as I know every note of that song...I just can't make the connection. You guys have any ideas?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk

I've been enjoying my copy of the David Rose Christmas LP reissue CD. There's a track on that CD called "The Christmas Tree."

That song is soooooooooo familiar to me...but I cannot place why. It sounds like a music cue that was used in a film or TV show...but as familiar as I know every note of that song...I just can't make the connection. You guys have any ideas?

Red Skelton Christmas shows, Mike. There's a beautiful version on the 2010 "David Rose Centennial Recordings", done at Capitol Studios by experts. Check it out here: https://open.spotify.com/album/5nbBj9iBfydgQaXWnJnFSY

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nope. I can't recall ever seeing a Red Skelton Christmas show, David. If I did I was just a little kid and the song wouldn't be so ingrained in my brain.

Must be something else...

It's been driving me nuts since last year...

Don't know why I didn't ask about it then.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Mike, it's used by Disneyland in their Main Street Christmas Music loop, could that be where you recall it from?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike, it's used by Disneyland in their Main Street Christmas Music loop, could that be where you recall it from?

YES!!!!!!!

Rodney...you rock! Never been to DL...but it's also in the WDW Main Street Christmas Music Loop. And I've heard THAT enough times.

That must be what I'm thinking of (although I'm still not going to be surprised if it's been used in some kind of feature film that I'm not coming up with. :laugh:

Likecats

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William

They played The Christmas Tree in the Little House movie Bless all the Dear Children.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Has Bing Crosby's WHITE CHRISTMAS (AKA MERRY CHRISTMAS) album ever been remastered? All I ever see in stores/ online is the same old CD that's been around for ages.
I would have imagined the CD was taken straight from the master tapes/discs. I don't know how much remastering will help songs of that vintage, especially if they weren't recorded to tape but to disc. I know Hank Williams' music has been "remastered," but you still have evidence of it being an analog recording.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They played The Christmas Tree in the Little House movie Bless all the Dear Children.

Yes! Yes!

This makes sense. In fact, it makes more than sense. When I first played the cut on the CD, LHotP was the first thing that came to mind. While I knew that David Rose was the music director for Little House, I just had the sense that the music was used during some Little House scenes. But I dug out the various Christmas episodes last year and couldn't find the cue!

I have put Bless All the Dear Children from the Blu set of Season 9 in my player right now! Already heard a partial cue in the first few minutes!

Thanks, William!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Has Bing Crosby's WHITE CHRISTMAS (AKA MERRY CHRISTMAS) album ever been remastered? All I ever see in stores/ online is the same old CD that's been around for ages.

Thomas, if you're talking about the CD with a picture of Bing in a Santa hat on a stark white background...I'd recommend THIS CD instead. It is a 2-disc set of EVERY Christmas song ever recorded by Bing for Decca. It is a STEAL for $8.99. An absolute steal. It even includes alternate takes of White Christmas Several different Silent Nights, too.

51CM7WCJ0JL.jpg

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Thomas, if you're talking about the CD with a picture of Bing in a Santa hat on a stark white background...I'd recommend THIS CD instead. It is a 2-disc set of EVERY Christmas song ever recorded by Bing for Decca. It is a STEAL for $8.99. An absolute steal. It even includes alternate takes of White Christmas Several different Silent Nights, too.

51CM7WCJ0JL.jpg

Thanks Mike, will check this out - and yes I had meant the one w/ Bing in a Santa hat. The CD version was first issued circa 1991, meaning the master used is at least 25 yrs old now. (BTW someone just informed me it has recently been reissued on vinyl, although I understand that doesn't necessarily mean it's from a new master).

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My favorite Christmas music starts from the 40's through the 70's. I found a great internet station that plays only the old classic Christmas songs, up through The Carpenters. It's called Classic Holiday Radio. Check it out.
Just wanted to remind everyone about Classic Holiday Radio. Great music playing right now!

http://classicholidayradio.com

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you haven't heard Ms. Rusby's unique Yorkshire voice and sound, you have a treat in store like you won't believe.

Hmmmmmmm. Must investigate!

Those posts were made in this thread in September.

Well, I just wanted to report that I "investigated." :D

I have taken possession of all three of the Rusby Christmas CDs. They ARE everything that David lead me to believe. Just beautiful. A perfect mix of voice and instrumental arrangement for the music and season. Some of the songs are ones with which I wasn't familiar. Others use alternate melodies, ALL, however, are terrific.

This is one of the bright spots of my Christmas season, David! Many thanks.

If anyone else is curious and in the market for some new Christmas music that will really "speak" to you, I'd highly recommend these discs too.

And now I'm on the bandwagon with all those others who are hoping for a 4th Christmas release from her! :laugh:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Rodney - great haul. If you get a chance, please report back on the Connie Smith disc after you've listened to it. That's on my wish list.
I've never heard this sound better. A great remaster job by Maria Triana. Anytime I see her name or Vic Anesini on a remastering job I know it is done right.

I recommend all of these releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks