What's new

Christmas album reissues (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I know it's only the first of September, but it is again time for music announcements. For those that don't follow him, Chip has an exclusive posting over at The Yule log.com Message Board with a list of the 2018 Real Gone Christmas CD releases to be released in November! Like I said last year, I don't want to just cut and paste the announcement, since it is an exclusive and doesn't feel proper. Once Real Gone Music officially announces these I will post the information here. Like previous years, I'm in for all of the releases.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I know it's only the first of September, but it is again time for music announcements. For those that don't follow him, Chip has an exclusive posting over at The Yule log.com Message Board with a list of the 2018 Real Gone Christmas CD releases to be released in November! Like I said last year, I don't want to just cut and paste the announcement, since it is an exclusive and doesn't feel proper. Once Real Gone Music officially announces these I will post the information here. Like previous years, I'm in for all of the releases.

Don’t forget about William Shatner’s new Christmas album!!

https://trekmovie.com/2018/08/26/wi...r-trek-show-but-he-has-a-new-christmas-album/

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Great info, fellas. I'll have to pull the trigger on Shatner's effort...just because.

And the only one of Chip's announcements that I'll be interested in the one that has him so excited. I might also get the one by the TV cast...but I've got a rally clean vinyl copy of the original of that one. But a CD upgrade is probably a good idea.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Technically this thread is for Christmas re-issues, but exceptions have been made, and granting one for Shatner Claus is a no-brainer.

51ic%2B5DBn6L.jpg

Likecats

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Last month I got the reissue of Percy Faith-The Music of Christmas. I will hopefully be getting more Christmas CDs between now and December. I have 52 Christmas CDs and over 1000 MP3 files of mostly the older Christmas music.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Great info, fellas. I'll have to pull the trigger on Shatner's effort...just because.

And the only one of Chip's announcements that I'll be interested in the one that has him so excited. I might also get the one by the TV cast...but I've got a rally clean vinyl copy of the original of that one. But a CD upgrade is probably a good idea.

The old official "Christmas on the Ponderosa" CD was in fact made from a vinyl copy, but it's cleaner than my own vinyl copy. A few years back, I found a copy of the British pressing of the LP (I know, right? There was a BRITISH pressing of the Bonanza Christmas album?) and aside from how nice the front cover photo looks on the usual 1960's UK flimsy-but-glossy LP cover paper, the back cover has cast photos and delightful Ken Darby liner notes that were not on my old Canadian pressing of the LP, which just had generic RCA promotional record stuff. The photos and liner notes weren't in the old CD booklet either, and I hope they make it to the new CD. I'm in for it, of course.
13177088_10209067333741016_4699244656854957817_n.jpg

Last year I started doing "Santa Got Lost In Texas" by myself for the first time during my 32nd annual Vancouver Christmas concerts; from 1987 my dear friend and musical partner (and personal Michael Landon) Paul Leahy used to sing it when we'd do it, but he's no longer available, having joined the cast of "Bonanza" up where it's Christmas on the Ponderosa every day. I hope I do justice to the song and to my friend, because I really love playing that silly, nostalgic, wonderful Ken Darby confection for people.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
The old official "Christmas on the Ponderosa" CD was in fact made from a vinyl copy, but it's cleaner than my own vinyl copy. A few years back, I found a copy of the British pressing of the LP (I know, right? There was a BRITISH pressing of the Bonanza Christmas album?) and aside from how nice the front cover photo looks on the usual 1960's UK flimsy-but-glossy LP cover paper, the back cover has cast photos and delightful Ken Darby liner notes that were not on my old Canadian pressing of the LP, which just had generic RCA promotional record stuff. The photos and liner notes weren't in the old CD booklet either, and I hope they make it to the new CD. I'm in for it, of course.
13177088_10209067333741016_4699244656854957817_n.jpg

Last year I started doing "Santa Got Lost In Texas" by myself for the first time during my 32nd annual Vancouver Christmas concerts; from 1987 my dear friend and musical partner (and personal Michael Landon) Paul Leahy used to sing it when we'd do it, but he's no longer available, having joined the cast of "Bonanza" up where it's Christmas on the Ponderosa every day. I hope I do justice to the song and to my friend, because I really love playing that silly, nostalgic, wonderful Ken Darby confection for people.
My favorite is "Merry Christmas, Neighbor." I heard it for years on a now well worn RCA compilation LP, "RCA Victor Presents Music for the 12 Days of Christmas." I invested in the CD several years ago. Bear Family in Germany has released a box set of all of the cast recordings and individual LP's put out by the cast members. I just don't know that I'm willing to shell out that kind of money. On a side note I'd heartily recommend Lorne Greene's Christmas album.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
My favorite is "Merry Christmas, Neighbor." I heard it for years on a now well worn RCA compilation LP, "RCA Victor Presents Music for the 12 Days of Christmas." I invested in the CD several years ago. Bear Family in Germany has released a box set of all of the cast recordings and individual LP's put out by the cast members. I just don't know that I'm willing to shell out that kind of money. On a side note I'd heartily recommend Lorne Greene's Christmas album.

You mean this one?

ArcSoft_Image143.jpg

When my group NO FUN did an 80-minute "NO FUN At Christmas" live in the studio Christmas broadcast on Canadian national radio back in 1988, we played "Merry Christmas, Neighbour" from that RCA compilation album at the end.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's my original pressing of the mono LP (Ken Darby liner notes and all!).

This is an extremely under-rated Christmas LP. It might totally seem like a novelty...but it's really a pretty good all-around effort. Lots of talent there:

full

full

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Here's my original pressing of the mono LP (Ken Darby liner notes and all!).

This is an extremely under-rated Christmas LP. It might totally seem like a novelty...but it's really a pretty good all-around effort. Lots of talent there:

full

full

That's the back cover that wasn't on my Canadian pressing of the LP (stereo, by the way, like the CD, while the UK pressing is mono). The album is a superb production, far better than it needed to be (or in my opinion would be if it was a modern project), nothing but class in every respect, and a great treat for Christmas fans and Bonanza fans alike. Fill your home with the authentic sounds of a Christmas on the Ponderosa!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For those that are interested, Real Gone Music is currently having a sale, and specifically on their Christmas music:

We're going to do something unprecedented this year, and ADD OUR CHRISTMAS TITLES TO THE SALE! Get an early start on the holidays by saving up to 73% on 36 titles, with CDs as low as $3! And, once again, every in-stock title is on sale for at least 20% off!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Gone has posted news of this year's Christmas titles, so I want to share out the covers of each, starting with Season’s Greetings From the McGuire Sisters – The Complete Coral Christmas Recordings:

Attachments

• DoHk2YIUwAArHRb.jpg_large.jpeg
    DoHk2YIUwAArHRb.jpg_large.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 111

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A double album from John Klein, A Christmas Sound Spectacular and Let’s Ring The Bells All Around The Christmas Tree.

Attachments

• DoHk2YKU0AAyoQ-.jpg
    DoHk2YKU0AAyoQ-.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 98

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A re-issue of New Carols For Christmas – The Rod McKuen Christmas Album.

Attachments

• DoHk2YIU8AAMMV8.jpg
    DoHk2YIU8AAMMV8.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 103

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The 2-CD Set, Andre Kostelanetz: The Complete Columbia Christmas Collection.

Attachments

• 6367341341243750001436647.jpg
    6367341341243750001436647.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 98

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I haven't yet found a picture of the Bonanza Christmas CD which will include both Christmas At The Ponderosa and Lorne Greene's Have A Happy Holiday. I'll try to post that when I find it, unless someone beats me to it. Consider yourself challenged!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks