What's new

Center Speaker Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Demonyx

Agent
Real Name
Joe
Looking to upgrade my center speaker. Not ready for a complete speaker replacement but my understanding is a center speaker upgrade really improves dialog. I use my setup primarily for watching movies.

Was looking at Klipsch RP-440C Center Channel Speaker? Thoughts? Suggestions? Should speakers all be the same brand for best sound or does that not matter?

SETUP:
Devices

TCL 65R617 55" 4K Smart LED TV (2018)
Denon AVRS730H 7.2 Channel AV Receiver
Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Roku Streaming Stick+

Speakers (7.1)
2 Floor Standing Mirage Speakers
1 Center Speaker Mirage
2 Surround Speakers Mirage
2 Surround Back Klipsch Speakers
1 Sub Woofer Mirage (22000hz~10hz)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Conventional wisdom is to have all speakers matching, or of the same family, to minimize tonal differences during stereo and surround pans.

If you've got an upgrade goal, I'd recommend deciding what speakers you plan to upgrade to, and buy the center speaker from that set. Later, when you upgrade the rest, you'll have a complete matching family.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Curious why you're set on upgrading only the center speaker unless you know for a fact it is defective. Your're correct in that this is the overall anchor for dialog in any multi-channel system but there are also configuration options you need to take into account. Most modern AVR's have room correction software. Yours has Audyssey MULTEQ which usually includes an adjustment for center channel dialog. Have you played around with this?

Demonyx

Agent
Real Name
Joe
Nothing is defective just thought that replacing the "most important" speaker first would be a good plan? But if keeping "like with like" is the conventional wisdom I guess I should rethink this plan (which I am certainly open to being corrected here). I did use the Audyssey system to calibrate my speakers.

Thoughts on this array: Klipsch RP-440C Center Channel Speaker Bundle
as a replacement for mine. Would this actually end up sounding better?

Review sites are telling me Klipsch is a great brand and that going for their Reference Premiere line is a good move?

PS = isn't the Mirage speaker make part of the Klipsch family? Are they compatible? If this is true than would upgrading the center speaker to Klipsch be apples to apples?

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I haven't demo'd Klipsch speakers in many years and don't know Mirage myself. I'm expect those Klipsch speakers would be good, but I don't have any experience with them to recommend over your current speakers. If possible, demo speakers with music and movies that you know and love. Take time, have fun, and figure out what speakers you want to upgrade to.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Klipsch is a horn loaded tweeter, keep in mind that many find horns a bit forward. Make sure you audition them first and make sure you like the approach. Whats your budget here? As mentioned above having a matching front stage (all three front speakers the same) is the best performance. Can you fit a vertical bookshelf speaker under your tv? Is your center channel hard to make out dialog? Is it pushed back on a shelf where reflections could easily muddy your dialog?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Nothing is defective just thought that replacing the "most important" speaker first would be a good plan?

Sorry. I may have misunderstood your original post. Nothing wrong with upgrading, especially if you have the budget for better gear. We like upgrades here! :) Personally though, I would wait until you can upgrade the fronts and center together.

thoughts on this array: Klipsch RP-440C Center Channel Speaker Bundle
as a replacement for mine. Would this actually end up sounding better?

As others have pointed out, sound perception is highly subjective so you'll want to demo any speaker you're considering purchasing, preferably in your own home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks